Rang Badalti Odhani

India-Forums

Rang Badalti Odhani
Rang Badalti Odhani

FF~:Human After All:~ Imp note Pg 150:) (Page 14)

simikr IF-Rockerz
simikr
simikr

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged

Thanks all for your patience!! Here's my update...may be boring but had to establish Khanak's character somewhat, next one will offer more for sure!!Smile

Guys, in this part in an effort to inject some authenticity into Khanak's character as a Doctor, I have tried to depict some common scenarios which I frequently come across at work, this may include some medical jargon but I have attempted to keep it at a minimum! Since the protocols may be different in India, please bear with me if they appear out of place!

Part 3

Beep! Beep! Beep!Beep!...........it grew louder..!

Khanak woke with a start. It took a while for her to get her bearings. She was having a rather pleasant dream and felt somewhat annoyed at being disturbed. In her dream she was cuddling up to a very handsome guy whose face seemed strangely familiar and they were both strolling along a river. It seemed as if they were in a foreign land, someplace very romantic and he was whispering sweet nothings in her ear. He was about to kiss her, when the stupid beeper had gone off. She glared at it angrily as it lay on her bedside table.

Khanak was in the call room of the hospital. She had just joined the staff as an attending three months ago and being a very conscientious young physician, she made it a point of spending her call nights on site especially when there were very sick patients on her service. After graduating with top honors she had chosen to study further and had completed her Doctor of Medicine degree in General Medicine six months ago. Her mother had urged her to settle down and get married but Khanak had refused saying that her life had just started and she needed to establish herself in her career.

Besides mommy dearest, aapki beti ko kya kami hai? I am smart, still young and not bad to look at I hope, except for my dark circles, which can be easily hidden with makeup! And with my credentials, I can have anybody I want, and they will consider themselves lucky! So my dear mom, don't you worry, it's my turn to take care of you now, you just rest up. Ladkon ki line lag jayegi!

Khanak's mother laughed and shook her head, she was very proud of her eldest child. But a mother's heart could never stop worrying.

Khanak picked up the pager and sighed...The night had begun!...Duty calls!

She dialled the number, Yes, this is Dr. Agarwal, I was paged.

Dr. Agarwal, it's Mr. Gupta in Room 3, he says that he can't sleep and would like a sleep aid!

But of course, tell me, who can sleep in a hospital with all the sounds and I bet he has the TV on! Tell him to turn it off and the lights! I don't want to give him something which will make him stop breathing, with him being so incredibly obese! Try to make him understand, I know you can!

Yes, Doc! I agree, will talk to him.

Khanak smiled, the nurses liked her and that was a good thing, otherwise they would bug her all night with little things! Some PR always helps!

She lay down again and tried to get into a comfortable position on the hard bed, trying to recall her dream, when the pager went off again.

Lagta hai, that I have to cancel my date with my Prince Charming! Maybe phir kabhi...

Dr. Agarwal! Can you come up? Mrs. Kocchar in Room 16 is having trouble breathing, she can barely speak, I'm really worried about her.

Is she having any chest pain? Did you do an ECG?

No Doctor, she is not having any chest pain, we'll get an EKG right now.

Okay, please also get a portable Chest X ray and I'll be there in a few.

Sure Doctor, thank you.

Khanak grabbed he coat and rushed to the 5th Floor which was devoted to the Cardiac patients.

She took a quick look at Mrs. Kochar's chart and reviewed her EKG which fortunately did not show any new changes. According to the nurse, her Blood Pressure had risen and her Oxygen levels were low.

Khanak went into the room and saw a very anxious lady in her 60s who was sitting up in bed and looking short of breath. She was clutching at her Oxygen mask and a man who appeared to be her husband was standing beside her looking equally anxious and worried.

I am Dr Khanak Agarwal, partner of Dr Krishnan, can I examine you Mrs Kochar?

Mr Kochar looked relieved while Mrs Kochar could only nod. Khanak smiled in a reassuring manner and efficiently examined Mrs Kochar's heart and lungs while quietly asking her a few questions. She came out of the room and checked her Xray and gave the nurse instructions.

She went back into the room, and smiled..There is nothing to worry about, there is a build up off too much fluid in Mrs Kochar's lungs and that can be easily fixed with medication. Since Mrs. Kochar has just suffered a heart attack these things are a common occurrence. She has to be careful and watch her salt and fluid intake from now on.

So she doesn't have Pneumonia?, asked Mr Kochar.

No she doesn't, rest assured. She should start feeling better quickly. I'm here all night and will come by to check on her before I leave.

Thank you Doctor for your time, you were very prompt.

Khanak shook his hand, patted Mrs. Kochar on the shoulder and walked out of the room, relieved that it had been a relatively easy problem. She glanced at her pager for it had gone off again.

Mr. Bansal is dying, his family wants to speak with you, can you come by?

Khanak knew that 80 year old Mr Bansal had been trying to die for the past few days, he had suffered a massive stroke and had lost function of most of his brain. His family had been in shock and had refused to come to terms with his bad prognosis, but after much discussion had finally accepted that even if he lived he would live like a vegetable, on machines which would have been unacceptable to him. He had lived a long and productive life and it was best to let him die with dignity.

Khanak saw the entire extended family gathered his bedside, and poor Mrs Bansal, herself very frail silently weeping holding her husband's hand. He seemed at peace, unaware of his surroundings, breathing irregularly, a clear indcation of approaching death. Khanak went to Mrs Bansal's side and quietly reassured her that her husband was not suffering and it was just a sign that the end was near. MrBansal's two sons and daughter rushed to the bedside and held on to his limbs as he slowly breathed his last. It took almost an hour, but Khanak remained in the room. Mrs.Bansal hugged and thanked her and told her that she was a great doctor.

Khanak left the family in a somber mood and thought again that death was indeed a part of life. If only we knew about what lay on the other side perhaps we won't be that afraid to face it. She knew that as a doctor she was not only  supposed to cure diseases and keep people healthy but also help them deal with making end of life decisions.

She glanced at her watch and rushed to the elevator, just another couple of hours before the end of shift..maybe she could catch a nap, or she'll be driving home a zombie.

She reached the call floor with her fingers crossed when the overhead page system went off...

TRAUMA ALERT EMERGENCY ROOM 1, ALL ATTENDING STAFF REQUESTED TO RESPOND AT ONCE..

Khanak thought..Oh no, not now!! I'm soo tired already! This is going to take hours, why did I have to be here now!! Silly stupid girl!! Maybe I can just pass it on to Dr Krishnan when he comes in. But then meri image ka kya hoga?? They will boot me out at the next opportunity! I don't care..!

Khanak, what about you conscience, remember you have taken an oath to do your best? Giving up already?

Okay, Lets go and see, maybe it won't be a big deal after all!...

Khanak took a deep breath and headed towards the ER..

As I walk along these floors
Smelling of disease and disinfectant
I become part of the scenery
Invisible in my white coat

As another life passes
A new life is born
Hope..is still alive for
After every night there is morn!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Please comment and click the like sign...and to all my silent readers please say something!!Smile

Edited by simiv - 15 March 2011 at 11:53pm

The following 32 member(s) liked the above post:

pooja.88Just.ShanakUjjwalaAzaraAtina2minaKrazEeeAnu80Aussiegalshonaidishbhansweetsuteangel_9nk.mailroadsidejunkey-mesmerised-SachDJiluvmanar-Unknown-22saaaz-SYS--YasharanArshi-purvi08RB81FanaahXx.Phoenix.xXOlicityFanPhoenixRadarThe_May_Roseadventure_gurlkubare-Deepali-shanakyasharan

jparker IF-Dazzler
jparker
jparker

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged
reserved!Smile

Edited :

Hmmm... gosh your character sketching is perfect girl!!! And what do you mean boring voring!! Rubbish!! Do not underestimate your talent girl!! Beautiful simi.. Loved the pdate.. Like I was there in the normal surroundings of a busy hospital!!

Beauitful... but my heart is thudding with fear... Trauma alert.. I am praying and keeping all my toes and fingers crossed. I know this author will not give any nasty surprises.. so am assured...

Waiting for the next updateClapClapClapClapClap

Gosh girl!! loved the poem!!

Hahahahaha smells of the hospital!! I know those smells. But lovely comparison on life goes life comes.. beautiful!!ClapClap

Grr.. the IF buttons crisis. I am not allowed to use the Like button now for some reason. Well I loved it!!

Edited by jparker - 15 March 2011 at 11:18am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

simikr

-YasharanArshi- IF-Rockerz
-YasharanArshi-
-YasharanArshi-

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged
Simi .. Brilliant .. What a Character Sketch !!!!!
Khanak the Doctor ... Loved Loved Loved her !!!!!!!!

Pleaseeeeee dont let anything happpen to Shaan/Megha ..
Update soooon !!!!

Edited by rbo_d_best - 17 March 2011 at 9:42pm

simikr

angel_9 Goldie
angel_9
angel_9

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged
Hey simi.............
amazing update............
loved the way u described khanak's character..................
lovely.............
u know how to make cliff hanger.............
update soon............
& thanks 4 PM................

simikr

OlicityFan IF-Rockerz
OlicityFan
OlicityFan

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged
i felt lyk i was watching DMG!.. lol
bein a doc must hav definitely helped in writing this part......

thnx for the PM di...

simikr

saaaz IF-Dazzler
saaaz
saaaz

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:33am | IP Logged
really really well written update....and let me tell you why...I usually am not a big fan of such 'clinically researched scenes"...but your update had a humane quality to it...I read it from start to finish....simi, there is no doubt re....hats off to your skills...

AND THE POEM at the end......................

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh!!!!!

too good...

Edited by saaaz - 15 March 2011 at 11:12am

simikr

Xx.Phoenix.xX IF-Rockerz
Xx.Phoenix.xX
Xx.Phoenix.xX

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged
wowwww simi.....

beautifully written......it told all abt khanak and her proffesionalism....
Too gud update..w8in to knw more abt shaan and meghana...
do cont. Soon.....

Luvsss,
Shama...

simikr

priya_cool_123 IF-Rockerz
priya_cool_123
priya_cool_123

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged
loved it simi..!!!!

lol.. Those busy nights are really horrible!!! but ya the conscious pricks!!!

Thank u for writing that...

totally amazed by the humane touch

Waiting for the next part !!!

simikr

Go to top