India-Forums

Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai
Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai

TV shows to shift focus

rekha02 IF-Rockerz
rekha02
rekha02

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 6:16am | IP Logged
With rural shows losing out, General Entertainment Channels have gone into a huddle to change their programme template

It was inevitable - one of these days the rural bubble on Indian television was set to burst, and three months into the New Year, it is happening! Shows that dominated Indian television so far have had an overarching rural backdrop. But off late, the audiences seem to have gotten bored.

The New Year saw a new leader emerging among the GECs. The No 1 channel that ruled the roost for long with rural themed shows is now at No 3 position. In what is seen as a victory of the underdog, the GEC that was languishing at No 3 slot for long, shot to No 1 position and the second place was occupied by another who didn't have many rural based shows. " Pavitra Rishta", based in Mumbai, has been the clear winner for a long time. "Saath Nibhana... Saathiya" and " Sasural Gendha Phool" propelled the channel to No 2 position. Surprisingly, it's "Laagi Tujhse Lagan", based on a gangster backdrop, that's been the saviour for the channel at No 3 position.

Industry buzz suggests that GECs have gone into a huddle to bring about a change in their program strategy. So much so, that the Hindi adaptation of a Tamil daily "Kudesan"- reworked to be based on land grabbing in rural Punjab, has been scrapped. "Shows with rural settings worked. But people's taste changes from time to time and likewise the content of television," quips producer Siddharth Tewary. Accepting that the writing's on the wall, Tewary says, "It depends on how interesting the story is and how it's told --- be it rural or urban. There have been many rural backdrop shows around, so obviously makers and audiences want change." Incidentally post " Phulwa" Tewary's new show is "Navvya". "It has a middle class urban backdrop," says the producer.

What's also interesting to note is that many existing shows, that were once the TRP drivers, are slowly but surely shifting the scenario to a big town and urban setting. "Naa Aana Iss Des... Laado" has shifted from a Haryana village to New Delhi, "Rang Badalti Odhani" traveled from Bhuj to Mumbai, "Balika Vadhu" is now concentrating on a city-based track, "Sanskaar Lakshmi" is about a village girl married and adapting to her new family in the big bad city. "I agree that there has been overdose of rural concepts in the past three years. It's a phase. Besides, success formulas are replicated everywhere in the world," says producer Yash Patnaik.

Explaining why "Rang Badalti Odhani" shifted to the city, he says, "It was originally planned to move to the city after 20 episodes as the story revolves around a South Mumbai boy and Bhuj ki ladki. Plus the channel caters to urban audience," he explains. Producer Rajan Shahi feels that the change was inevitable, "Well, I have been noticing the trend. The TRP charts say it all. It was bound to happen because all the shows on TV had the same template and began looking similar. Nine out of 10 dailies were rural. The one that stood out had some town flavour, so it grabbed eyeballs," he explains.

With the GECs going into a huddle, a new programming template is about to be put in place. And more dailies might get scrapped if the current trend continues.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv-/TV-shows-to-shift-focus/articleshow
/7654962.cms

TOI article which speaks of a shift back to urban settings. Hope Apu is listening as urban settings are the in thing now. Hope he is getting offers as he was never interested in rural based showsLOL.

Edited by rekha03 - 09 March 2011 at 6:20am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

bhondu2010poo_sanizorsaveeta24sami01

saveeta24 IF-Sizzlerz
saveeta24
saveeta24

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged
@rekha...thanks for article..

so seems time for rural shows to be shown the door..

trend is getting too much boring the viewers..

wat hurt me most they ended one of the most fav show of the viewers bidaai to replace it with one with a rural backdrop..

now they want to scrap those shows so lets see wat will be the strategy of SP.

Edited by savee_k - 09 March 2011 at 10:19am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorrekha02krithikas

shanti05 IF-Stunnerz
shanti05
shanti05

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
I like a mix of urban and rural based shows...

But if you ask me why the closed Bidaaii and gave way to gulaal I am like plzz I am not the one who will watch such shows..

They should get back to urban areas even  in taht show peopel from regular walks of lives like poor middle class and rich

Thsi blend is as good as showing shows in rural back ground
But teh idea should me more urban based

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorkrithikas

Luv-Shonit IF-Dazzler
Luv-Shonit
Luv-Shonit

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged
I've never liked shows with rural backgrounds (Bandini was the only exception coz of Ronit Roy) and was just waiting for the day they would be gone and glad the day has finally come or is coming. LOL 

rekha02shanti05

sami01 IF-Sizzlerz
sami01
sami01

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged
seriously all those violence based rural shows were getting on my nerves..with so many shows being shown door recently i wish we get to see apu back soon in his dream role of kahdoos magar pyaara boss with loads of flirting skills

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorrekha02krithikas

shanti05 IF-Stunnerz
shanti05
shanti05

Posted: 10 March 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged
I would love to see Apu only in urban shows
He is fit of that that guy has everything to take urban show and make it awesome !!

Only once when he was raju Rangeela in kaajjal he was in a rural  background but he was a guide LOL

He is fit for urban shows and his  way of talking and his bidy language is just fit for that
He rocks as any urban character role
No wonder he rejects so many shows i deftly will wait with loads of patence to see his show an urban on LOL

anizorrekha02

rekha02 IF-Rockerz
rekha02
rekha02

Posted: 10 March 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Luv-Shonit

I've never liked shows with rural backgrounds (Bandini was the only exception coz of Ronit Roy) and was just waiting for the day they would be gone and glad the day has finally come or is coming. LOL 

wish I knew your name, I agree with you. I have not watched these rural based theme shows at all except Bandini like you but I soon lost interest with the so many leaps but Santu , I liked a lot with DM. Big smile. I was too waiting for the day this rural craze would die out and hence this article was posted in celebration as my fav Apu also stays away from rural soaps wish he has offers in his kiitty and hope to see him soon.Big smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sami01

shanti05 IF-Stunnerz
shanti05
shanti05

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged
Rekha Apu is fit for Urban shows only and he prefers that so If he ever takes up rural show I would be seeing him again like Paju Rangeela...

He would definatly give flavor to the show if hat happens

But right now he needs to be back on television !

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

anizor

Go to top