RANI MUKHERJEE : We women are kickass

-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

We women are kickass: Rani

Meena Iyer, TNN | Mar 8, 2011, 12.00am IST

Tags:Rani Mukerji|Bollywood actress
Rani Mukerji in the hot seat More Pics
2011 (at least the first three months) belong to Meera Gety, the spitfire, will-stop-at-nothing scribe from No One Killed Jessica; a role beautifully embodied by Rani Mukerji. This made her the ideal candidate to edit TOI's International Women's Day issue.

The dynamic actress says that playing the part and adding her own vibe to it, came naturally to her because, "the screen character of the go-getting journalist is in a way synonymous to the modern Indian woman who doesn't shy away from getting what she wants, no matter how she does it.''

She adds, "I just felt this is how the character should have been, without of course getting into the cuss words... because that is cinematic liberty. However what is important here is that the behaviour of Meera is unapologetically done. And, it is sheer coincidence that she is shown as a journalist. Honestly Meera could be anyone. She could be a doctor, a lawyer or an editor.''

But for the light-eyed actress, the real achievers are not just the ones who are out there in the world. She salutes the spirit of every housewife in India, "I feel people like us, with our achievements, still have the liberty to take a break from the routine matters like running a home. I don't think we will be able to do what the average Indian homemaker does on a regular basis. I consider them super women. Honestly, for me that is the most attractive quality in today's modern woman. In every sphere, be it journalists, pilots, police officers, corporate heads or actresses, all of us are trying to achieve something. We stop at nothing."

She feels there are no limitations for women, "We aren't satisfied. We feel satisfied when we have our children and take that break to nurture our kids and physically gain strength. But even that is just a temporary break. Soon we are back on our feet.We women are just kick ass! We are super!''

Asked whether it is necessary to have one day a year earmarked to celebrate the spirit of womanhood, Rani says, "It should not be restricted to one particular day. But it doesn't hurt if it is scheduled as March 8, which is also my birth month. So for me it is an extra special month. I don't think we have a men's day marked out and that makes me happy! Like I keep saying, women are special.''

Rani's take on going under the knife
"I know of many actors who go under the knife to alter their looks. But personally, I am against that. God has made us all different and special. It's best to work around it.

As they say, sab ko sab kuch nahi milta. This holds good in everyone's case. But then, if surgery can help one boost their confidence and it's a must-do, then to each her own. I am not here to pass judgement on their personal choices. However, in my case, I have my parents to thank. I have great genes."

Partying has become a liability for Rani
"I've never really been a party person. I started working at the age of 17 and didn't get to party at an age when everyone else is. I didn't even realise when my 20s got over. It's just been the last 3-4 years that I took a break and started taking things a little easy.

But still, partying has not really happened. I can't get myself to get ready for a party! You have to be flawless when you go for one! God forbid if you wear chappals at one or repeat a set of earrings! (laughs) Partying has become a liability because now, you have to dress up for people who're watching you. I prefer staying at home with my niece and nephew, they entertain me. And if I go out, it's for dinner with friends and family."

Rani's Mr perfect
"I have always been in awe of the women in my family, who have been very strong, independent and open-minded. My nani was very keen on seeing one of her daughters as an actress. And she didn't give up until one of them (Debashree Roy) actually became a renowned actress. My nani has been a very inspiring woman. My mom too is very talented. She has sung songs with Mohammed Rafi on the stage. And she has been a wonderful mother to me and my brother."

What Rani wants in a man...
A man who respects my parents.
A chilled out guy, who doesn't take things too seriously.
Someone who matches my wavelength.
I would be attracted to a man who understands me.
He should be sexually active (laughs).

Rani's take on Hollywood movies
"As for women playing strong roles in Hollywood movies? Well there are so many, but a few come immediately to mind. There's Meryl Streep who I loved in Mamma Mia. She was simply amazing in that.

And Titanic happens to be an all-time favourite for the way it was made and Kate Winslet who was great in it. And Erin Brokovich for playing such a strong true-life character. She was married, had three kids and in addition to that, she was able to achieve something so great."

Edited by -Maddy- - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

she wouldn't have been kickass if NOKJ wasn't a hit πŸ˜† Edited by The.WonderStone - 13 years ago
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
He should be sexually active (laughs).

Very unlike her even if it was said in jest! :))
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Well Rani show us some kick ass performance...I still have to see that from you. NOKJ doesnt count because all you did was scream and use cursing words...that doesn't make you a kick ass! But because NOKJ was a hit...that makes u a kick ass...I give you that...for giving a hit without SRk or any big actors. Yeah women power! πŸ˜›
Edited by beboholic - 13 years ago

RANI MUKHERJEE : We women are kickass

^  still on NOKJ hang over.πŸ€ͺ

anjali10 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
"kickass and sexually active" πŸ€ͺ🀣 Edited by anjali10 - 13 years ago
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Sexually active naughty naughty RaniπŸ˜†
another one liner from Ms. Jokey.. πŸ€£..

'we women are kickass'.. πŸ€£
you woman are definitely one but without the kick..🀣🀣
Originally posted by: -Maddy-

Rani's take on going under the knife

"I know of many actors who go under the knife to alter their looks. But personally, I am against that. God has made us all different and special. It's best to work around it.

But she still used botox (and ruined her face) on her God-gifted skin.
Anyway, good interview. I'm shocked and relieved at the sexual reference (where she says her husband needs to be sexually active) - like someone else said before, it seems she realized that her sati-savitri attitude is no longer working. πŸ˜†
Originally posted by: Meena1

another one liner from Ms. Jokey.. πŸ€£..

'we women are kickass'.. πŸ€£
you woman are definitely one but without the kick..🀣🀣

🀣🀣🀣 Meena, you should be awarded for providing the best ROFL-worthy one-liners.
Thanks for making me laugh. πŸ˜† Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 13 years ago