Celebrity Fan Clubs

MichaelJackson-The King Of Pop....6th fanclub (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 29

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:41am | IP Logged
On March 7, 1973, young Michael Jackson visits the bedside of 6-year old Leslie Robinette - suffering from from aplastic anemia caused by the genetic disease fanconi anemia at the Seattle Children's Hospital - then The Children's Orthopedic Hospital and Medical Center. Robinette received a bone marrow transplant, and was one of the youngest to ever have the procedure. She went through chemotherapy, radiation, an ever-changing plethora of medications and was kept in isolation for three months; her state of health was precarious, the doctors saying, after she was dismissed from the hospital, that she might live 10 years. "I was sitting in my room looking out the window, ironically listening to 'Looking Through the Window' by the Jackson 5, when I heard all the nurses going wild and carrying on", Robinette declares 26 years later. Coincidentally, the Jackson 5 were there. "They asked me which one I wanted to see, and I said I wanted to see Michael - he was the cute one", she says, laughing. She describes teenage Jackson as shy, but kind and sincere, signing an autographer for her, holding her hand and asking about her state. "I would never say that he saved her life - that's crazy - but he gave her back a little of her will to live because she had lost it", Trine Robinette, Leslie's sister adds. Leslie eventually did improve, and her family returned to their farm in Greeneville, Tenn., where she still lives with her parents. 11 years later, Leslie met Jackson again, while he was on tour in Knoxville with his brothers, where she received free tickets, then went backstage to meet the Jackson clan. "I asked him if he remembered me, and he said yes. We talked about my singing in chorus and how I was getting my back brace off soon", Robinette says. Jackson then told his security detail that she was his guest, so she got to watch the third show from a raised VIP platform, seated right next to Jackson's mother, Katherine. Still struggling with her disease, she is less than 4 feet tall and weighs about 60 pounds, but she is now 42 and is involved in North American Riding for the Handicapped Association and currently is training to become an instructor. "I've always felt that Michael and I were kind of kindred spirits, because we both grew up not being able to really go anywhere or do anything normal kids do", Robinette says, adding that she hopes people will remember Michael Jackson for his good deeds and music.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "MichaelJackson-The King Of Pop....6th fanclub (Page 7)" in Celebrity Fan Clubs forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged
On January 29, 1974, the Jackson 5 start their one-week tour in Dakar, Senegal (Africa), where they perform concerts, attend representations from several African dancers, visit the humble dwelling places of some inhabitants there, and also pose for pictures with and sign autographs for them, among sightseeing and shopping experiences.

In 1977, The Jacksons (as they would name themselves since 1975) visit the impoverished areas of Trinidad, Port-au-Spain, namely the economically deprived inhabitants, not affording to attend a Jacksons' concert. Michael Jackson enters their cardboard stone houses and visits and greets the Catholic school girls therein. The mentioned year finds The Jacksons competing with other teams of entertainers in the "Rock 'N' Roll Sports Classics" special program; being joined in their East team by affiliated show business members, they are awarded as first place winners of the competition with a set of 20,000 dollars, a charitable contribution funneled to the University of California, U.S.A.

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged
On May 17, 1977, the Jacksons flow to Glasgow, Scotland for a command performance for Queen Elizabeth II, with proceeds of the show going to the Silver Jubilee Fund. The Fund was established 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee, and its purpose is to enable a small number of senior students in Cumbria's schools and colleges to undertake work experience projects of academic nature overseas, connected to industry, service to the community, the arts, sport etc.

In January, 1979, the singer donates a certain amount of books to the "Chicago Public Library's Young Adult Section", and, on occasion of a library project, "Boogie To The Book Beat", he delivers a speech on the importance of reading.

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:44am | IP Logged
In 1980, Michael Jackson performs song "Rock With You" at "Because We Care", a UNICEF Charity Gala. "Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you very much, not only for your applause, but thank you for caring; and I'm very happy to be here. I love you all. Thank you", he says to the audience after performing his song.

The 1980's

Around 1980, while touring in Philadelphia, Michael Jackson and The Jacksons visit the local Children's Hospital, the group making other such relief apperances during their tours.

On July 22, 1981, The Jacksons give a special benefit concert for the "Atlanta Children's Foundation" at the Omni Auditorium in Atlanta, Georgia, and raise 100,000 dollars for the charity, subsequently to lengthy episodes of Black youth disappearances and murders in the mentioned city. Speaking on behalf of himself and his brothers, Michael Jackson reveals, "We Are doing this because we care". LeBaron Taylor, vise president and general manager of Divisional Affairs for CBS Records, distributor of Epic Efforts for whom the Jacksons record, and coordinator of the special event comments, "We are pleased that The Jacksons have scheduled this special performance for such a worthy cause [...]".

During the years of residing at Hayvenhurst mansion with his family, Michael Jackson accepts a large number of children's requests to visit him there through foundatio
ns such as "Make A Wish", most of these visits not being publicized, sister La Toya Jackson confirms in her 1991 autobiography, as well as the singer himself. The young visitors would be treated to screenings, sweets to their preference from the residence's Candy Store, to petting the exotic pets of his menagerie, to arcade and video - game playing and the like.

* An animal advocate as well, the singer rescues a chimpanzee (that would become his pet animal) from a cancer research facility in Texas, U.S., around 1983, and would, moreover, house other endangered species of animals as part of his menageries from both Hayvenhurst and Neverland ranches throughout the years.

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Later years

In 2004, Michael Jackson's custom-designed car, a Bentley Arnage Red Label Turbo, is sold at an auction benefiting the singer's "Go For Your Dreams" foundation; the automobile served to drive to Jackson's Neverland Ranch the host of stars that recorded the "What More Can I Give" charity single in 2001, in appreciation for their involvement in the benefit project.

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:47am | IP Logged
On September 17, 2004, during his latest child-abuse pre-trial appearances (the singer being absolved of all counts of misconduct later in 2005), he welcomes a large group of supporters to the restaurant "Epiphany" in Boston, Massachusetts, while ordering pizzas for each individual, in appreciation for their enduring commitment to him.

On December 17, 2004, Michael Jackson invites approximately 200 people - children and their families from 6 special centers, among which churches, church schools etc - at his residence in California, and reiterates previous statements regarding the access of families, as well as tourists around the world, welcomed to spend time and tour Neverland; he also greets the gathering families and verbally addresses them holiday wishes. Jackson's spokesperson at the time, Raymone Bain, also present at the event, says that it was not an out-of-the-ordinary event at Neverland (as previously shown): "[] And at least 2 to 4 times a month, organizations are allowed to come here. And, since this was the last part of the holidays, he decided he would surprise the kids by doing so and they're very happy about that". The event was an annual Christmas festivity, where hundreds of inner-city and underprivileged children and adults spent their time exploring the surroundings and the singer's ranch, riding on attractions, snacking on food and drinks, watching movies and playing in a two-story arcade, all of these being provided free-of-charge by Michael Jackson, and, often, even during his absence there.

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged
During his trial (in 2005), Jackson and his parents allow a visit from fans at his home and inside of it, the admirers remaining impressed by the manifested generosity given the circumstances.

In January, 2006, while living for a year in Bahrain, the singer has been in talks with Bahraini corporation, "AAJ Holdings", over a series of potential projects in the Saudi-Arabian Gulf, varying from music academies to theme parks, with hopes to achieve city and urban evolution.

mj_applehead

Goldie

mj_applehead

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 3:49am | IP Logged
On March 8, 2007, the pop star revisits Tokyo, Japan for several "fan appreciation events", where he first attends a V.I.P. gala as guest of honor, amid a total of 400 admirers, impersonators and business people, as well as over 100 orphans and challenged children and adults, the deprived being given complimentary tickets by Jackson to attend the event; he also appears on stage to read an appreciation statement to the audience and to emphasize that he would neither change his career path, nor would he nurse bitterness over his lifelong succession of difficulties, despite "deliberate attempts [of "some"] to hurt me", moreover, adds: "I take it in stride because I have a loving family, a strong faith and wonderful friends and fans who have, and continue, to support me"; he poses for pictures with the guests, and signs autographs and acknowledges the assembled children. A day later, he also attends a larger festivity directed at his main fan base and for those not affording high priced tickets, where more than 1,000 people assembled at a popular night club.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top