Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mj_applehead thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
different version

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxxG_wVW09w&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
mj_applehead thumbnail
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoupR2HUQJo&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
mj_applehead thumbnail
A Sneak Preview of "Earth Song – Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus"

by Joe Vogel on June 21, 2011 13 comments Uncategorized

Michael Jackson was alone in his hotel room, pacing.

He was in the midst of the second leg of his Bad World Tour, an exhausting, 123-concert spectacular that stretched over nearly two years. The tour would become the largest-grossing and most-attended concert series in history.

Just days earlier, Jackson had performed in Rome at Flaminio Stadium to an ecstatic sold-out crowd of over 30,000. In his downtime, he visited the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Cathedral at the Vatican with Quincy Jones and legendary composer, Leonard Bernstein. Later, they drove to Florence where Jackson stood beneath Michelangelo's masterful sculpture, David, gazing up in awe.

Now he was in Vienna, Austria, music capital of the Western world. It was here where Mozart's brilliant Symphony No. 25 and haunting Requiem were composed; where Beethoven studied under Haydn and played his first symphony. And it was here, at the Vienna Marriott, on June 1, 1988, that Michael Jackson's magnum opus, "Earth Song," was born.

The six-and-a-half-minute piece that materialized over the next seven years was unlike anything heard before in popular music. Social anthems and protest songs had long been part of the heritage of rock. But not like this. "Earth Song" was something more epic, dramatic, and primal. Its roots were deeper; its vision more panoramic. It was a lamentation torn from the pages of Job and Jeremiah, an apocalyptic prophecy that recalled the works of Blake, Yeats, and Eliot.

It conveyed musically what Picasso's masterful aesthetic protest, Guernica, conveyed in art. Inside its swirling scenes of destruction and suffering were voices—crying, pleading, shouting to be heard ("What about us?").

"Earth Song" would become the most successful environmental anthem ever recorded, topping the charts in over fifteen countries and selling over five million copies. Yet critics never quite knew what to make of it. Its unusual fusion of opera, rock, gospel, and blues sounded like nothing on the radio. It defied almost every expectation of a traditional anthem. In place of nationalism, it envisioned a world without division or hierarchy. In place of religious dogma or humanism, it yearned for a broader vision of ecological balance and harmony. In place of simplistic propaganda for a cause, it was a genuine artistic expression. In place of a jingly chorus that could be plastered on a T-shirt or billboard, it offered a wordless, universal cry.

Jackson remembered the exact moment the melody came…

Copyright 2011 Joseph Vogel

The full version of "Earth Song – Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus" will be available June 25th on Amazon (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), iPad, Android, Blackberry, and other digital platforms.

A Sneak Preview of "Earth Song – Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus"
mj_applehead thumbnail

"People say, 'Why is he always with children?' Well, I was raised in a world with adults. Kids were playing and in bed sleeping and I was up doin' clubs. I was doin' club dates. Three in the morning. The striptease would come on after us. You know, we were performing and we didn't have friends. My brothers were my friends. We worked, we worked, we worked. There was no Christmas, there was no birthdays, it was very strict Jehovah Witnesses. So I'm compensating. Nature made sure that I compensate for the loss. You come behind my gates, you'll see an amusement park, you'll see animals, you'll see everything I never got to do." — Michael Jackson
mj_applehead thumbnail
mj_applehead thumbnail
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X-Mrc2l1d0[/YOUTUBE]
mj_applehead thumbnail
mj_applehead thumbnail
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBLkMG7Usk&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

barry gibb and mj's all in your name full song.
bestfan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Love u Michael..never can forget u...
mj_applehead thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.