Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: Chinu2004

Is it Shriman or Shriram? normally we say Shriman Dutta Patil or Shriman so and so...it cant be sriram

Chinu, that respectful/title thing is only a vibe that I personally got from this order of switching...as in putting that Sri in the beginning makes the address more formal. But what Harshita has posted on the previous page makes more sense in the known usage of a surname before the given name 😊 The point either ways is that this is not a blooper; not when they've written it into the dialogues twice...so the meaning/significance is debatable, but it's quite intentionally done otherwise...not a mistake or glitch on MV or Anil Deshmukh's part.
AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: make-believe

Let me introduce this very enlightening Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri

'Sriraam' seems to have been used as an honorific for respect...let us say a title of sorts. I'm sure someone from Maharashtra can shed light on it too. 

And this is not the first time this 'blooper' has happened...it is quite intentionally written...when Salman Khan made his special appearance in LTL during the month of September, a behind the scenes segment had raw footage of the scene being shot...there too, while introducing Dutta to Chulbul Pandey, she named him as 'Sriraam Dutta Patil'...this bit actually didn't make the final cut though. Pity that Khushi's YT channel was deleted because I believe she had a video of it...if anyone can remember the date of that segment, please do post to clear the misconception that this is a blooper on their part! 

Fatty, this is something very different.......Sri is the general term that is attached to various words as an honorific.....commonly used in India as Sriman, Srimati......calling someone Sriram is not an honorific.....that's an actual name.....or an honorific for the god Ram.....as in SriRam.

Finally watched the epi and yeah I guess she used it as an honorific......I guess only a Marathi person can clear this up then cuz I was not aware that "Sriram" was an honorific in MarathiπŸ˜•.....Or is it some other funda of using a person's middle/father's name before their actual name as a way of introduction?πŸ˜•

AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: droopy_asleep

So....I am not going to say that Sriram Dutta Patil is a blooper. No, not at all. Not from any explanation and here is my justification:
Different parts of India have different ways of addressing people.
For example - it is very common in south India to people to NOT have surnames. For example, renowned mathematician S Ramanujan, who invented the "zero" is S Ramanujan, S standing for his father Srinavasa. It is also very common to add the village name to this making it S I Ramanujan.

So, in that sense, it is not wrong to say Sriram Dutta Patil, since it is completely ok to have the father's name precede your own name, almost like a gene - an identifying factor.

Just my 2 cents of providing more insight into the discussion :)

Yes I'm aware that it's a south Indian thing to use the last name initial first.....but I did now know that Marathi ppl use their father's names before theirs as an honorific or way to introduce themselves?πŸ˜•
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
All Maharashtrians I know use their father's name as middle names. I guess yesterday was a blooper. Lets accept it and move on.
AreYaar thumbnail
I still find it hard to believe it was a blooper......if Fatty's mentioning that they've shown Nakku address Dutta like this previously in the Salman epi also.....would they really show the same "blooper" twice?

It seems a cultural thing to me.