Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai

article on Bidaai2 , Angad interested

rekha02 IF-Rockerz
rekha02
rekha02

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged
SUCCESSIVE SEASONS
Not just over yet

Like international television shows, Indian soaps are also coming up with sequels. Srabanti Chakrabarti wonders if this trend is here to stay.

A NEW BEGINNING (From left) Actors from the new season of 'Kitani Mohabbat Hai'; A still from 'Choti Bahu'.Indian television shows seem to be inspired by their international counterparts. We have seen Friends running for 10 seasons, Lost, Ugly Betty, among other shows, coming up with successive new seasons and now, the Indian television industry is following suit. Case in point are sequels of serials like Miley Jab Hum Tum and Baa Bahoo Aur Baby. Although they didn't do that well, there are more to come. If news reports are to be believed, very soon we will see a sequel of the super hit show Bidaai on television.

This, besides the other two popular sequels ' Kitani Mohabbat Hai and Choti Bahu ' that are currently on air. Ask Rajan Shahi, television producer and director, and he will respond without being non-committal, "When Bidaai went off air, we had discussions with the channel authorities on a possible sequel. However, nothing has materialised yet. However, a number of actors have been calling me up enquiring about the possibility of a sequel."

Angad Hasija, an actor from Bidaai, says that he too has heard similar rumours. "I would love to be a part of the second season, but I don't think I would like to play an elderly character in the show!" he quips. Considering the fanfare that the show had generated, a sequel may not be a bad business proposition for Shahi.

There are also rumours that Bairi Piya, a successful show on Colors, is also all set to launch a sequel. Whether it will succeed or not is something only time can tell, but there seems to be a renewed interest in sequels on Indian television.

For instance, after the success of Mahi Way, the makers plan to bring the show back on television with its second season. This trend proves that Indian audiences are open to the idea of watching more than a season of any daily soap. Especially when sequels or rather new seasons of reality shows have borne positive reviews and raked in money ' Sa Re Ga Ma, Emotional Atyachaar, Chak Dhoom Dhoom, Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, etc.

But then, what makes a sequel work for one show, while for others, it doesn't? "Whether it is a sequel or not is secondary. What is primary is the story and the way it is told. No show, irrespective of how popular it was in the earlier avatar, can create an effect if the storyline is weak," explains Deeya Singh from the production house of DJ.

The production house had produced Choti Bahu and has recently brought it back on television as a sequel. Agreed. For example, Kutumb's (the show that brought Hiten and Gauri Tejwani to limelight) sequel flopped, although the show's first avatar was a hit amongst the audiences. This proves that a sequel cannot bask in its prequel's glory. It needs to have a strong and convincing story.

Today, if Choti Bahu's second season is successful, it will largely be credited to the fact that the scriptwriters have been able to capitalise on Avinash and Rubaina's popularity and have also dished out a new storyline; something that other shows have not been able to.

In the recent past, Miley Jab Hum Tum and Baa Bahoo Aur Baby sank for similar reasons. While the former failed because it introduced too many characters in the sequel, the latter flopped because it lacked freshness. The story was similar to the original serial. Who would want an old wine in a new bottle? 

In the last decade, serials ran on television for close to 10 years. But if you look at any soap today, none of them last on air for more than two years. Does that mean they are inferior to their predecessors? Perhaps not. Possibly, the answer lies in the fact that audiences' tastes are changing. No one is ready to invest their time and energy for stale entertainment. They want something new.

The only reason consecutive seasons of reality shows are doing well is because they bring to fore new talent, provide drama with interesting twists and turns which, in the long run, is what keeps viewers hooked. The same formula applies to daily soaps. Keeping viewers entertained is the only mantra that works. Period.

this article came in 27th feb 2011 sunday edition of deccan herald, so it means nothing is sure yet and SBS was not correct in its news.
the link

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/141314/not-just-over-yet.html 
I think the best way Bidaai2 can work is where it ended as RS is already telling a story of two sisters who are not in good terms with eachother. Ragini and Saakshi their relationship after marriage , Ragini's new relationship with her husband Anmol , their future kids which was interesting that's why it ended with 6.1 tvrs and left hanging.Wink

Edited by rekha03 - 27 February 2011 at 5:20am

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

Anushka_baniruslanmanoo.18bhondu2010poo_sanizortvmylovekrithikasWinchesterbrosshanti05yanks28

tvmylove IF-Rockerz
tvmylove
tvmylove

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged
rekha thanks for the article....  
I think the best way Bidaai2 can work is where it ended as RS is already telling a story of two sisters who are not in good terms with eachother. Ragini and Saakshi their relationship after marriage , Ragini's new relationship with her husband Anmol , their future kids which was interesting that's why it ended with 6.1 tvrs and left hanging.Wink
yaar..... so true.. they have to start bidaai2 where they ended.... if not no use of nameing it as bidaai 2...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

manoo.18anizorkrithikas

yanks28 IF-Addictz
yanks28
yanks28

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 5:03am | IP Logged
I would love to have Angad back with Sara in Bidaai Season 2.

Anushka_banisalekh1-ParidhiHolic-

Winchesterbros IF-Sizzlerz
Winchesterbros
Winchesterbros

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged
Thanks Rekha dii for the news.......

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

tvmylove

krithikas IF-Sizzlerz
krithikas
krithikas

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged
Thanks Rekha for the news.SmileI want Bidaai 2 to start from where they left.Big smile

Let them complete the Angini story with proper conclusion and then take a leap to Tashi story.Smile

If they  start from Tashi story,then I am not interested.Ouch

Edited by krithikas - 27 February 2011 at 7:18am

anizortvmyloveWinchesterbros

Anushka_bani Newbie
Anushka_bani
Anushka_bani

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged
would love to see Sara and Angad in Bidaai season 2  with fresh love story, now even Angad doesn't want to play an elder character, so RS should think of new and fresh love stories..

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

salekh1yanks28

ruslan Groupbie
ruslan
ruslan

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged

Big smile I agree. I hope everything gets finalised sson

krithikas

bhondu2010 Goldie
bhondu2010
bhondu2010

Posted: 27 February 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged
No show, irrespective of how popular it was in the earlier avatar, can create an effect if the storyline is weak,"

This part proved awesome post leap so I hope they consider it from there for the very reason that we got very less of Angini...

Ask Rajan Shahi, television producer and director, and he will respond without being non-committal, "When Bidaai went off air, we had discussions with the channel authorities on a possible sequel. However, nothing has materialised yet. However, a number of actors have been calling me up enquiring about the possibility of a sequel."

They left the story at a high point so would be great of they continued from there
They had a solid set of actors at that point so I hope they can consider that and  later give a raise to new generation or whatever they plan to do with Tammana and Khushi's story

I agree with you I mean even with actors if the storyline is not concrete and dosent have a foundation it wouldn't click with the audience...

Rajan ji we request that bring out a new sequel for Bidaaii keeping some of teh foundation of season one it would be great and viewers can relate to some story and then they can be molded into their own storyline !

Thnaks for the article

I hope Angini (Anmol Ragini) Apurva and Parul would be in it to give us more Angini moments and  show ragini's life after marriage !!

Edited by bhondu2010 - 27 February 2011 at 8:36am

krithikas

Go to top