FF-Tum Kaun Ho (Chapters 24-44) - Page 39

Posted: 13 years ago
what a lovely update....finally he said what was on his mind...let's see what comes off from his better behavior...
liked it............ update soon...............
brilliant update
atleast Maan talk
about what was bothering
him wow & accept to go
with Geet & JD
cant wait to read next
part pls cont soonnnnn
thanks pm
Wonderful update! I loved how Maan implied Geet being apart of the family when talking about the restraining order. Can't wait to see where this goes!
Continue soon!
hp maan is able 2 c d gud n pretty side of geet wich he has nt yet noticed n wat abt d detective?????????no update abt hm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for sure maan will b surprised 2 knw so mny thngs abt her!!!hope that comes soooonnnnnn
lovely update plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz add me in ur pm
hey,,,,y no update,,,,,,update sooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Tum Kaun Ho?

A Maaneet Fan Fic

Chapter 32
Mar. 12, 2011 9:20 am

"We're going to the zoo, we're going to the zoo!" JD's excited shouts could be heard all throughout the mansion.

"JD, you shouldn't be shouting."

"But Dadi, GT, Uncle and me is going to the zoo!"

"JD, that's no reason not to follow rules," said Geet as she came walking up with his coat. "What kind of voice should you be using right now?"

"Inside voice."

"Was that an inside voice you were using?"

"No."

"Please remember next time and say sorry to Dadi for yelling."

JD hung his head and said, "Sorry, Dadi."

"It's forgiven, Beta," said Dadi, reaching down to take his face into her hands and give him a kiss on the cheek. "Have a good time."

JD smiled and let Geet put on his coat. Geet then took his hand and they walked out to the car where Maan was already waiting. Geet settled JD in the back seat and then got into the passenger side. Maan put the car into drive and they left the mansion grounds for the Lincoln Park Zoo. JD was so excited that he talked non-stop about all the different animals he was going to see. He didn't even wait for a response from the adults, he just kept up his enthusiastic chatter.

When they finally turned on to Lake Shore Drive, the final leg of their short journey, Maan turned to Geet and asked softly, "Do you really think this is going to be a good birthday activity?"

"Of course. Didn't you ever visit the zoo when you were a child?"

"Dadi took me to Brookfield a few times."

Geet looked at Maan curiously, and then a knowing look came on her face. "Oh, I see. It's because Lincoln Park is free, isn't that it? Maan Singh Khurana, you are such a snob!"

"I'm not a snob. I just..."

"Maan, not all things that are good and fun need to cost money. Just think about the bike Dadi got him. Yes he was excited and thankful to Dadi, but it wasn't a present that he asked for. He asked to spend time with you and me. This is what children really want. It's okay to buy them things, even expensive things now and then, but what they really want is attention."

"Geet, I understand that." Geet's look told Maan that she wasn't sure she believed him. "Geet, I really do understand, it's just that it's barely the middle of March. Visiting zoos seems like more of a summer kind of activity."

"Maan, the zoo is open year round, and they have a lot of indoor exhibits. I used to visit this zoo a few times during college, so I know my way around a bit. Plus, JD wanted to go, and that's the most important thing."

"Okay, okay, I give up. I can't win an argument against you."

Mar. 12, 2011 10:03 am

After they parked the car in the zoo's parking lot, they made their way to the entrance. JD could not contain himself and pulled very hard on Geet's hand. She had to stop and make him understand that he needed to slow down and stay with them. Once she had his promise, all three went inside the zoo entrance. They stopped at the information booth, so that they could figure out where they should go first.

"Look, GT, look, it's a ride. I want to go on the ride!"

"JD, we can do the ride at the end. Let's go see some animals first."

"Ooh, lions, GT, I want to see lions. And giraffes and hippies..."

"That's hippos, JD," corrected Maan.

"Hippos," repeated JD, "and tigers and kangaroos and everything!"

Geet laughed and said, "Let's do one thing at a time. How about we go see the monkeys first?"

They all agreed and made their way to the Helen Brach Primate House.

Mar. 12, 2011 1:30 pm

"Mmmmmmm, that hamburger was good, but this ice cream is super yummy. Uncle you should have had hamburger too. Your tummy would have liked it, just like mine."

"Thanks, JD, but I did just fine with my Chicken Burrito."

Maan, Geet and JD, were currently sitting in the Park Place Cafe, finishing their lunch by eating ice cream for desert. The morning had been a success, with JD unable to decide which activity he like more. They'd taken plenty of pictures, mostly of JD. They had some of JD imitating the monkeys, going up to touch the skin of a python at the Meet an Animal session, and JD smiling happily as he rode the children's train. Now that their lunch was finished they had decided to spend the rest of the afternoon on the Regenstein African Journey, since those were the animals that JD had seemed the most interested in.

Just before they were about to leave the cafe, JD exclaimed, "Uncle you were messy when you ate your ice cream! You have chocolate ice cream on your face."

Maan laughed and took a napkin to start wiping his face clean. He got most of it off, but Geet could see just a little bit of something just below his lip. She could have said something, but instead she followed her instincts and reached out to clear it away with her thumb. As soon as she met Maan's eyes, Geet realzed what she had done, and backed away nervously. Then, to cover what she felt was an awkward situation, she took JD's hand and turned saying they should leave so that they don't waste time. Maan followed behind them both, secretly happy that Geet had shown some authority on him.

Once outside, JD had tried taking off his coat, complaining, "It's too hot, GT."

"It's not that hot, it's just a little warm. You can leave your coat open, but I don't want you to take it off, it's too windy."

JD pouted as they started making their way to the north of the zoo. He stayed in this condition for awhile, until he noticed something. The zoo had quite a few more visitors now than earlier, and there were many families and couples among them. Everywhere he looked, he saw grown ups with their arms around each other's waist or holding hands. He looked down at his hand GT was holding, and then he looked over at Uncle walking next to GT, just glancing around randomly. Something wasn't right with this picture.

"Uncle, why are you walking alone? You should hold GT's hand." Geet looked down at JD in surprise and then looked up at Maan a bit accusingly. Maan just shrugged his shoulders, his expression clearly saying not to put the blame for JD's comments on him.

"JD, don't you want Uncle to hold your hand? We're here to celebrate your birthday."

"No. Uncle is GT's boyfriend, so Uncle has to hold GT's hand."

Although Geet had been happy with the increased interest Maan had shown for JD lately, she now wondered if it was a bad idea. JD was becoming more and more like Maan in his demands, and he definitely was developing a knack for putting her in embarrassing situations. Looking over at Maan, she saw him holding out his hand, a slight smile on his face. Geet felt herself look back and forth between his hand and face, she didn't know how many times, before giving herself a mental shake. It was just a little hand holding, she could do that, right? Slowly lifting her hand, she placed it gently into Maan's. As his warm fingers closed around hers, Geet tried to make light of the situation by reminding them that they were wasting time.

All through the exhibits, JD could not keep the excitement off his face. He loved seeing all the animals. He laughed when he saw the meerkats just sitting, moving their little heads around. He thought the giraffe looked funning when he saw it eating. He wanted a picture of the three of them with the giraffe in the background, so Maan asked an older gentleman to take their picture. When they were finished the man's wife said that is was so nice to see parents like them spending time with their child.

"Actually," said Maan as he took the camera back, "he's our nephew."

"Well, then it's nice to see a young couple like you and your wife spending time with your nephew."

Geet, just smiled, but quickly pulled Maan over and asked in a whisper, "Why did you let them think we were married?"

"Come on, Geet. I didn't want to spoil their day by making a big deal about it. If people want to think we're married, who am I to say no?"

Geet sputtered and blushed, while Maan put his arm around her waist and said, "Come on, Honey. I think that someone still has some hippos to see."

"Yay! Hippos!" cried JD, jumping up and down.

Mar. 12, 2011 3:22 pm

After waiting in line for a few minutes, JD ran excitedly up to the carousel, and tried to climb onto a giant panda. He wasn't tall enough, so Maan helped him on. Geet was worried that he might fall off, and wanted to stay next to him, but JD wouldn't have it. He was a big boy now, and said that Maan and Geet should go sit on the bench behind him. Maan could understand JD's wish to be independent, so he pulled Geet down on the bench, consoling her that he was right there, and would keep an eye on JD, catching him if he should fall. JD had a blast riding up and down on the carousel, and Maan and Geet smiled and laughed to see him so happy.

When the ride was finished, they only had an hour left before the zoo was closed for the day. They still needed to visit the lions and buy some souvenirs, but JD was finally getting a little tired out and complained about all the walking. Maan picked him up and carried him towards the Kovler Lion House. They went inside first looking at the tigers and the leopards. JD loved it, but what he really wanted to see were the lions. The lions were currently outside, so once they had gone through the exhibit, they went outside to see the lions. JD's eyes were so big, and when the lions roared he clapped his hands. Geet laughed at his antics, because he would try to roar just like a lion.

JD wanted to keep watching the lions for ever, but Geet wouldn't allow it. Not only was the zoo closing soon, but she wanted to buy some stuff for JD to take home. In the last few minutes that were left, the three made their way to the gift store. JD was specific about what to get. If it had a lion, he wanted it, if not, he didn't. Geet got him shirts and a hat, books to read and to color. What JD like best where his two stuffed lions, which he wouldn't put down, even when they were in the car and on their way back home.

JD was so happy with the day, he wanted to come back the next day also. Geet told him that they would come back again some day, as there were still many things they hadn't done yet. Pretty soon JD fell asleep, as it had been a very tiring day, walking all over the zoo, but even asleep he didn't let go of his lions.

Noticing JD was asleep, Geet quietly asked Maan, "So, do you think today turned out to be a waste?"

"No," said Maan, briefly glancing at his sleeping nephew in the rear view mirror. "But it sure wasn't free. I can't believe that little bit of stuff we bought him cost over 200 dollars."

"Awwww, poor MSK. He can pay almost a million dollars for a Van Gogh, but spending a little money on zoo memorabilia for his nephew is a big no-no."

"Come on, Geet, that's not what I meant."

"I know, but it's one of the ways that they keep the zoo free. Anyway, he loved it, so it's worth it."

"What is that you're looking at?"

"Oh, it's a brochure about different events the zoo is having this year. They're having some summer activities for children. I'm thinking about enrolling JD, but I want to learn more about it first."

"Well, if today is any indication, he will probably love it."

Mar. 12, 2011 7:01 pm

"Okay, my freshly bathed, sweet smelling little birthday boy," said Geet as she tickled JD mercilessly, "what movie do you want to watch tonight?"

"Kung Fu Panda," was the response.

"Now, how did I know you were going to say that?"

"Um, cause I always ask for that movie?"

"Oh, ho, being a little cheeky, are we?" Geet pulled JD's cheek, for which he retaliated by becoming a lion and chasing her around the room.

Maan watched their antics for a little while before asking with authority, "Are we ever going to watch this movie or not?"

Geet and JD looked at each other, and then back at Maan. Maan didn't like the way they were looking at him. He started backing away, but he was too late. He was pounced by both Geet and JD, who proceeded to tickle him and try to eat him for dinner. The assault continued for several minutes before it ended abruptly when Maan, who was trying to escape, tripped and fell onto the couch, bringing Geet down on top of him. They both looked into each other's eyes, not blinking, not glancing away, until JD asked if they could start the movie.

Geet quickly scrambled away and went over to take the dvd out and put it in the player. She tried to calm her nerves and began lecturing herself. She was an ordinary girl who lived in Chicago, not a character in a Bollywood movie, that she should go around having long eye-locks with her boss. Pressing play, she went near the couch, grabbed the bowl of popcorn, and had JD sit in between her and Maan.

Mar. 12, 2011 8:52 pm

The credits were rolling, but Geet wasn't paying any attention to the names of the hundreds of people who were involved in making the movie. She was sitting very comfortably, with her head on Maan's shoulder, running her fingers softly over JD's head, which was in her lap. JD was fast asleep, after having put his head down on her lap about half way through the movie. When he changed position, Maan had lifted JD's legs up and put them on his, shifting closer to Geet, and letting JD lay comfortably on both of them. It felt slightly awkward for Geet, until Maan moved his arm so that it was resting behind her on the back of the couch. It seemed entirely natural for Geet to move so that her head lay on Maan's shoulder, and for Maan to curl his arm around her in response.

They stayed that way for a few minutes, neither wanting to disturb the contented mood they were in. Finally Maan commented, "He's out like a light."

"Yes," agreed Geet. Lifting her head a bit so that she could look into his face, she asked, "It was a good day, wasn't it?"

"It was a good day," confirmed Maan.

Looking into Geet's sweet, upturned face, Maan was sorely tempted to make it an even better day by stealing a goodnight kiss, but he refrained. He had promised Geet that he wouldn't trouble her with unwanted behavior, and he felt that it was in his best interests to proceed very cautiously on that front from now on. It was undeniable to Maan now, that he wanted to become closer to Geet. However, he sensed that it was not as simple as asking her for a date, or to become his girlfriend in reality. Some instinct told him that she had only gone along with his behavior because she believed it to be temporary, and that if she found out otherwise, she might get spooked and try to pull away from him. Maan did not intend to let that happen. Instead, he would take things as slow as was necessary in order for Geet to accept a new kind of relationship with him.

So, FYI, my mother had foot surgery on Friday, and I've been helping out as much as I could since then. I'll still be updating, but the updates might not quite match up to the days when the story is taking place, like I really want them too. Daylight Savings this weekend didn't help either, but hopefully I won't get too far behind. I am planning on starting my new FF this week, so I can't make any promises. The updates should be pretty regular, but the intervals between them might not be consistent. Don't freak out.

Now, why did I send them to the free Lincoln Park Zoo, when the Brookfield Zoo is more the kind of place a millionaire would chose? Well, Geet and I both believe that money doesn't buy everything, but I also visited the Lincoln Park Zoo a few times when I was a child. However, it's changed a lot since then, so my lovely friend Google helped me out with this update.

Lincoln Park Zoo

Check out the visitor's guide if you want to see a map of the different attractions. That's what I was looking at when I wrote this chapter.

Here's a little video to give you an idea about the zoo.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuj3vXecU4g[/YOUTUBE]

A comprehensive list of Maan, Geet and JD's Saturday at the Zoo.

Morning
Visit the Monkeys
Walk past the outdoor bird habitats
Attend Meet an Animal
Walk over to the Children's train
Have lunch at Park Place Cafe

Afternoon
Walk over to the African Journey area
See Meerkats and Giraffes
See Pygmy hippopotamus
See Warthogs, Rhinocerus, Otriches
Ride on Carousel
See Lions

Shop at Wild Things

Edit: By the way, what made everyone think that Maan now has a policy of no touching Geet? He's not that stupid! He only promised not to bother her with his behavior, meaning he won't be so shameless as he has been without any encouragement. However, if Geet gives some encouragement.....

Edited by laxmi2010 - 13 years ago

wonderful and most awaited update

thank you
give regards to your mother
Edited by smj1977 - 13 years ago