FF-Tum Kaun Ho (Chapters 24-44)

Posted: 13 years ago

Tum Kaun Ho?

A Maaneet Fan Fic

Chapter 24
Feb. 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Geet considered Maan's question and wondered how she could possibly answer.

Jan. 24, 2006 5:58 pm

"Geet, why the long face?"

"Dadi, Pinky can't help me with my Hindi anymore."

"Oh, why not?"

"Well, her school and work schedules changed, and she's got a new boyfriend, so she doesn't have time anymore."

"That's too bad. What if I were to help you out?"

"Thanks, Dadi, but our professor has really strict rules. Our tutor has to be someone near our own age and we have to record a minimum of one hour a week of conversation for 10 percent of our grade. I can pass the class without it, but I wouldn't be able to miss a single point otherwise, just to get an A-."

Dadi sipped her cup of tea and thought for a moment. "You can't find anyone else who can help you?"

"I don't know too many people who speak Hindi, and those that I do know don't have schedules that work with mine."

"Hmmm, that is a bit of a problem."

"Savitri, what about Naintara bahu?" Dadi and Geet looked up from the couch they were sitting on to see Dada walking over towards them. "She's been complaining about being bored at home with only the baby while Dev's away at work. Maybe she could help."

"But Mahant, Naintara is in Delhi, and Geet is here. How could that ever work?"

"They can use those computer video chat programs. If Geet wants to go into computer science, she must know how to use a computer pretty well. I think there are even programs that will let them make recordings."

"What do you think, Geet?" asked Dadi. "Do you want me to ask Naintara if she can help you?"

"But, Dadi, she doesn't know me, and I'm sure she has more important things to do. I mean she has a husband and a baby and I'm sure that keeps her busy."

"Well, I can at least ask her, Beti. If she says no, you won't be any worse off than you are now."

Feb. 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Geet smiled as she remembered how she first started talking with Naintara on Skype. Contrary to what Geet thought, Naintara was ecstatic to video chat with her. She knew very few people in Delhi, and where they were living there were not too many people her age. Dev had just started taking night classes, so that was a perfect time for them to both be online, Naintara having just put Harsh to bed and Geet in her pajamas, eating breakfast. After a few weeks of this routine, Geet had asked Naintara if she could call her Di, as Geet had no sisters herself, and she felt a very deep bond with Naintara. That bond had only grown over the years, especially once Geet became JD's nanny, and they now had him in common as well.

Those memories were very pleasant to Geet, but she wasn't sure what Maan would think. Her relationship with Naintara had started during the most difficult time of his life, and she knew that it was something that he tried not to think about. Not wanting to lie, but not wanting to tell the truth, she purposely kept her answers vague.

"Di and I have been speaking for awhile. We mostly talk about JD and what's going on with him. That's all."

"Hmmm, and do you usually talk this late at night and dress up like you're going to the gym?"

At first Geet didn't get what Maan was talking about, but when he continued to stare at her, she looked down at herself and realized. She had been doing her yoga, and so was dressed in her workout clothes. She suddenly felt very self conscious and immediately crossed her arms over her chest. She was wearing only a sports bra and her yoga pants, definitely not the business attire Maan was used to seeing or very concealing.

Trying to act nonchalant, Geet said, "I was just doing my yoga when I got a message from Di that she wanted to talk. Sometimes we talk this late because of the time difference. Nothing so strange about that."

Maan leaned his arm against the wall next to Geet and said, "Why are you so defensive? I only asked a simple question." Geet just glared, so Maan tried something else. "I never knew you did yoga."

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me, Mr. Maan Singh Khurana."

"Is that so?"

Apr. 29, 2006 1:25 pm

"Poor Savitri. She's had a tough year." Murmuring agreement could be heard. "First was the debacle with that horrible Sameera, and you know, I've heard that Maan still hasn't gotten over it. Then the youngest one, Vicky, was wounded in Iraq. Of course it wasn't fatal, but still the worry and stress from it all would be difficult for anyone to deal with. And now, she has to go through the death of her husband."

"It's so sad."

"What will happen to them now?"

"Is Dev going to come back from India to help with the business?"

"I heard he's not. I also heard that Maan intends to sell the business. What a shame. Khurana Imports has been in operation for over sixty years. All that hard work now to be sold off."

"Such a shame that Mahant died." There were murmurs of agreement. "And at such his age, too. I know that a heart attack can happen at anytime, but 66 is so young. That's younger than my Jerry."

"I'll tell you what I want to know. Who is that girl who's been flitting around, taking care of Savitri and generally helping out? Is she a relative?"

"No, she's just some college student that Savitri took under her wing."

"Oh, I thought maybe she was a future granddaughter-in-law."

"What? Her? Are you joking?"

"Well, she looks Indian, and I thought maybe it was arranged or something."

"First of all, the Khuranas believe in love marriages. Why do you think Maan was ready to propose to that, well...white trash is a polite term. Well, the less said about that incident, the better. But anyway, can you actually imagine Maan with a plain girl like that? I mean, just look at who the other grandsons chose, and you'll see what I mean. No, if that girl has hopes of snaring Maan Khurana, she'd be better off to forget him entirely."

Geet, who was standing behind one of the White Oak trees at the edge of the terrace, couldn't help but overhear their conversation. She immediately knew that they were speaking about her. She couldn't help but feel embarrassed. They thought that she was after Maan? Nothing could be further from the truth! She knew he had no interest in her. That he actually paid no attention to her at all, and if she wasn't there, he wouldn't even notice. No, Geet was under no illusions at all, and had absolutely no hope of becoming Maan's friend, let alone, anything else.

However, just because she didn't entertain any hopes about Maan, that didn't mean that she agreed with those society women's opinion of her. Yes, she wasn't as glamorous as Naintara Di, or as bubbly and outgoing as Meera, but she was an okay person. Dadi liked her, anyway, and Dada had always been nice to her, so she couldn't be too awful.

Thinking about Dada made Geet feel weepy, and she automatically began eating her cake in an effort to escape the sadness. It was difficult though, as she had spent the entire day helping Nakul and Mrs. Gupta with the reception arrangements, as she didn't want Dadi to take any unnecessary stress. Naintara Di and Meera tried to do what they could, but it was difficult for them to do much, each having a young child to deal with, as well as accepting condolences from the many guests.

As Geet's mind thought back over the women's conversation, she couldn't help but feel upset at their opinion of her. Her throat tightened, and it felt impossible to swallow. Looking down at herself, and then back at the half eaten piece of cake, she couldn't help but agree. She certainly wasn't much to look at, and who would want bother to find out what was underneath anyway? Maybe. Maybe she should think about Lisa's recommendation of the student run yoga class. They had all different levels, and since it was sponsored by the University's student council, it was free.

Feb. 21, 2011 10:10 pm

It seemed strange to Geet that Maan would be interested in the fact that she did yoga. Regardless, she had no intention of telling him anything about how she got into it. Who wants to hear that it was your grandfather's funeral that provided the spark for a lifestyle change? Geet tried not to think about it, as it only brought up painful memories of Dada's loss. Not wanting to say anything further to Maan, and fearing that she might start crying from remembering the past, she quickly moved around Maan and made her way down the hall and back to her room.

Maan turned around and watched the retreating form of Geet with great interest. He had seen the many emotions the appeared briefly on her face as she appeared to remember something. When she kept silent, giving him no insight into her thoughts, his curiosity was peaked even more. There was a lot that he didn't know about her, she said. That was obviously true, but it wouldn't remain so for long.

"I may not know much about you now, Geet Handa, but I will soon. Soon, I will know every detail of your life, no matter how insignificant."

Edited by laxmi2010 - 13 years ago

Originally posted by -shamima-

Awe NT is so cute and awe she has to geet to vent out her furstations especially about her mum who happened to disown her son because he got married to White girl

So I'm going to explain this here, since I probably won't mention Arjun again, and I can understand from how I wrote, readers could be confused. Arjun is not Naintara's brother, but her older cousin. He is the son of her Taya, which is why I mentioned that her mother not only doesn't talk with Arjun but also does not speak with her Jeth and Jethani. Naintara's mom used to consider Arjun like a son, especially as Naintara was her only child, but yes, when he married she totally cut him out of her life. Poor Naintara. What's a girl to do with a mother like that?

Originally posted by deniac

Laxmi plzclarify this doubt.... Maan and Geet studied together and so I guess they are the same age........ Dev is younger than Maan .... Naintara is Dev's wife... am assuming that NT is as old as Dev or younger .... so dev n NT wud b younger than Geet.... wy does Geet call dev - dev bhai and NT di???? am very confused.... plz clarify this....

So, just because Maan and Geet were in one class together at university, that automatically means that they are the same age? Don't worry, eventually the relative ages of Maan and Geet will be fully revealed, but I will say that they are definitely closer in age than what they would be in the serial.

Edited by laxmi2010 - 13 years ago
me first me first me first....... yipeeeeeeeee

gosh ...am so happy with my last few days of job before my sabbattical that i am behaving like a 8 year old..... hahahahhahaha......

Laxmi - thank u for responding to my query..... 😛😃

Awesome update.....
the moment i finish reading ur update, i become hungry for more..... 😆😆😆
Edited by deniac - 13 years ago
Nice part :-)

Congrats for opening new thread

CONGRATULATIONS

for the
NEW THREAD

i have always liked your FF
congrats on the new thread.
i really love reading this story.
congrats on ur new thread Laxmi............................awesome update.....................naintara and geet's bond is wonderul...............so, as suspected maan is investigating about geet..............we'll also know about her
CONGRATS FOR YOUR NEW THREAD!!!!
Pls reveal the past of geet!!!
i m really eager to know the past of geet!
awesome as usual..........loved it to core.........plzzzzzzz update soon