Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion

Gender-bending at play-Samir Soni

kanchi thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Gender-bending at play
Ginnie Mahajan

It was an evening that was supposed to impress in a sophisticated manner. The guests were members of the glitterati, literati and the political world. The occasion: a party by Pamela Rooks to celebrate the release of her film, Dance Like A Man. Produced by Vijay Mallya, Tarun Sawhney and Vikram Raina, the cast includes the talented South Indian dancer Shobhana, Anoushka Shanker, Arif and Jassi's Purab, Samir Soni.

Rooks had seen the play by Mahesh Dattani, and felt it could be translated into a rich film. She describes her effort as an exploration of human relationships against the backdrop of dance. The film, Rooks's third, was shot entirely in Bangalore, in 25 days flat.

Samir Soni has become a star, especially after Jassi. He sees himself as someone giving hope to not-very-pretty women โ€” that they too have a chance of getting a Prince Charming. But it isn't easy playing a modern-day knight in shining armour convincingly, he says.

On Dance Like A Man, this is what Soni has to say: 'A woman in a man's world is considered progressive, but a man in a woman's world is considered pathetic'.

Arif Zakaria was present at the party, minus his long locks. He had to learn the basics of Bharatnatyam for the film and says at times he felt "sandwiched" between Shobhana and Anoushka.

Others spotted at the do were Amar Singh, Muzaffar and Meera Ali, Nalini Singh, Uma Gajapati Raju, Nafisa Ali, Vikram Raina's better half Seeta, Rani Jethmalani, Bina Ramani, Rati Soni and Rohit Bal.

Edited by kanchi - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kanchi thumbnail
OMG look at him.............๐Ÿ˜ณ.GURLS help me out..........
allegra thumbnail
Easy, Kanchi.. Take a deep breath, hold it, breathe out. Repeat 10 times. Nice and slow.
kanchi thumbnail
thx allegra. i think its working๐Ÿ˜‰
allegra thumbnail
Good. I was afraid I would have to prescribe a sedative! ๐Ÿ˜†
zandra thumbnail

when did this film released?

humanyst thumbnail
 I  glimpsed a miniscule promo of this film on Star movies...
pmahesh thumbnail
I don't think the movie has released till now. But it is soon going to be, it stars Shobhana, Arif zakaria, anoskha shankar and sameer soni.
Rifhat thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Finally they mentioned his name apart from the other article Kanchi posted and the 24x7 where none had mentioned his name. As per the channel 24x7 it is to be released in Delhi this week.

-Rifhat

Morgoth thumbnail

Thanks kanchi!