Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Sex sells in Bollywood

_notinuse_ IF-Dazzler
_notinuse_
_notinuse_

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged
Arunoday Singh and Aditi Rao in Yeh Saali Zindagi
From Katrina shaking her belly to a film with 22 kisses, Bollywood has rediscovered sex! Ritu V Singh reports

Even those who have not seen Sudhir Mishra's Yeh Saali Zindagi are aware that it has 22 kisses. Contrary to its title, the Censor Board believed that Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji was for adults only. Konkona Sen Sharma-starrer Mirch was touted as India's first erotic film. Love, Sex Aur Dhokha thrived on its bold theme, suggestive dialogues and titillating scenes.

If Shah Rukh Khan and sex sold earlier, the latter seems to have won the round for now! Bollywood filmmakers take on bold themes and use abusive language liberally in a bid to depict 'reality' . In a competitive industry where numerous films release every week, item numbers and double-meaning dialogues perhaps help a film attain its USP.

Trade analyst Komal Nahata says, "Sex scenes and item numbers draw the audience's attention . In the case of Yeh Saali Zindagi, the screenplay is complex and the audience didn't understand the film. However, they laughed at all the abuses. Obviously, this makes a film more saleable."
Sanjeev K Bijli of PVR explains, "I don't think today's youngsters would prefer watching a kissing scene shadowed by a bunch of flowers. A good item number, certain dialogues or scenes that grab eyeballs work in favour of a film. You can build your promotional campaign around it. Munni badnaam hui did wonders for Dabangg. Though Tees Maar Khan bombed at the box-office , Sheila ki jawaani was a hit."

No prizes for guessing that actors don't mind raising their hemlines or getting cozy onscreen. After Malaika Arora Khan and Katrina Kaif, now it's Deepika Padukone's Dum Maro Dum that people are looking forward to for titillation.

Actor Emraan Hashmi, better known as the serial kisser of Bollywood, will be seen next in Murder 2, which revolves around the dark world of prostitutes, cross-dressers and pimps. A lot of steamy action is guaranteed. Emraan reveals, "The movie has sensuality, but also a strong story to back it up."

Jacqueline Fernandez, who plays a pin-up girl in the same film, said in an interview, "I have no issues in shedding clothes, if the role demands. Why am I an actor if I can't give my best to a role?"

Actor Arunoday Singh is suddenly all over the place thanks to the success of Yeh Saali Zindagi. He even invited trouble after he kissed a girl at a promotional event. When asked how important it was to abuse and kiss his heroine in the film, Arunoday said, "It's a big part of the character I play. My female fan following has increased. In Hollywood, it doesn't matter how many times an actor has kissed onscreen. Why have different standards for Bollywood ? And, if it helps my film sell better , why would I have a problem?"

Filmmakers claim their films are getting bolder as a reflection of society. They want their films to be more real. In Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji, Shruti Hasaan boldly confesses watching po*n films. Shazahn Padamsee, who plays Ajay Devgn's subordinate at work in the same film, asks him when he lost his virginity.

Director Madhur Bhandarkar explains, "Shazahn's character is that of any teenager who's cool with issues like virginity and sex. Take a look at how youngsters talk and behave on reality shows. Why does the Censor Board have different norms for reality shows and films? My film would have done better business if it was given a U/A certificate . These days, we have a smart multiplex audience that wants to see a movie they can identify with."

Director Sudhir Mishra was miffed with the Censor Board when he was asked to drop the word 'saali' from the title, as he thinks it doesn't really count as an abuse.

Censor Board member Nandini Sardesai explains, "Attitudes have changed. As a lecturer, I've witnessed youngsters who are open about their relationships. In films, it may go a little overboard, just to add drama. Otherwise , sex is not something alien to them. If the theme of the film is bold, we allow the film without cuts, but with an 'A' certificate."

Films are no longer made for a common audience. Bijli says, "Not all films are targeted at families. In fact, in many families, kids and parents go separately for the same film. Even the censors are becoming liberal. These films are made on a small budget and are targeted to a certain section. No One Killed Jessica was made on a budget of Rs 11-12 crore, Love, Sex Aur Dhokha had a budget of only Rs 2 crore."

Rachika Shrivastava, a 19-year-old college student says, "I can't go for just any movie with my family. I generally read the reviews or ask my friends if it's meant for family viewing. My family is not conservative, but we still changed the channel when Veena and Asmit made out on Bigg Boss. My mother laughed at the title Kaminey, but I couldn't tell her that I saw a film titled Love, Sex Aur Dhokha."

Sometime ago, Salman Khan confessed he can't kiss on screen as he wouldn't be able to face his father later. Not too many current actors or filmmakers would agree with him now.
As long as sex sells, there will be takers!

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.DontKnow.....Poojie....ruky786

eraser IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 1:12am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ruky786

ffkhan IF-Rockerz
ffkhan
ffkhan

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 2:08am | IP Logged
I feel comfortable seeing the movies without sex scene.

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

wicckkedLEO88-Doppelganger-MissIffiy.khoobsurat.starstruckkmariasrkCHIPPEDCUPmysticgoryfilms....Poojie....ruky786Sano88

-Sakina- IF-Sizzlerz
-Sakina-
-Sakina-

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 2:10am | IP Logged
Oh yes it sells...and howLOL

PandoraHug

_notinuse_

ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 2:12am | IP Logged
I hate these "sex scenes" because every time I watch a film on the big screen, my mum is either watching her own programme or seeing watch I watch and I have to forward the film it's annoying that is why I have cut down watching Bollywood films and have been watching the old ones

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

miley cyrusDilusha_notinuse_ffkhanmysticgoryfilmsmariasrkSalyanka

bollywoodbabe1 IF-Dazzler
bollywoodbabe1
bollywoodbabe1

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 2:20am | IP Logged
I also dislike sex scenes, it's very weird and uncomfortable to watch with the family. They should only have it if it is an integral part of the script, otherwise it's just annoying. 

ffkhan....Poojie....ruky786

Sano88 IF-Achieverz
Sano88
Sano88

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ffkhan

I feel comfortable seeing the movies without sex scene.

Me too, I dont even watch Emran films.LOL

ffkhan.khoobsurat.ruky786

LEO88 IF-Dazzler
LEO88
LEO88

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged

ya man sex & some kissing scenes is awkard ...

ffkhan

Go to top