India-Forums

Sabki Ladli Bebo
Sabki Ladli Bebo

Caste System

mavee Groupbie
mavee
mavee

Posted: 19 February 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
Sorry guys I know this is TOTALLY off topic but I wanted to ask everyone and make sure they would see thisSmile My question is does anyone know what the Sikh/Hindu Caste system is and the significance behind it? My mom was talking about this today and she said we only marry into our own caste which is Jatt. Doe anyone still believe in this caste system? I honestly think this is SO dumb (sorry if I offend anyone) because we are all human and a caste system shouldn't divide us.

First we have to be educated, be good people, and earn a decent amount of money to find a spouse. Then we have all these things we can't even control like our religion and our caste. I was searching online and I read that  there are Jatt Hindus and Jatt Sikhs, which were actually Muslims previously. Don't get the big deal....my mom thinks I want to marry someone out of caste nowLOLLOL 

Edited by mavee - 19 February 2011 at 11:11pm

Ambofan IF-Dazzler
Ambofan
Ambofan

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 9:03am | IP Logged
I dont know much about it but other than the 4 religious castes in Hinduism, there still exists a family caste system thru-out the subcontinent whether they r Muslims, Hindus or Sikhs.
I am a Muslim but  there  are Muslim families who only marry into their caste like Malik, Sheikh etc... But thank god my family has no such restriction, they only look for Sunni Muslim families, any caste.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ganga16tr-Afeelicious-

-Afeelicious- IF-Sizzlerz
-Afeelicious-
-Afeelicious-

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged
i don't believe in caste at all,
i am Muslim so i will only look for a guy who is a good Muslim, i won't go and search whats his caste and all that, if he is Muslims then thats what i want, nothing more than this.

but there r many ppl who still believe in this caste system and specially in Hindu religion (sorry no offense) both the guy and girl have to be from same caste even though their religion is same.

well i would say it just the matter of believe, if u believe in something u like to follow it, and if u don't then u don't really care about it much.
caste only divides ppl within same religion.

lakshmi42 IF-Dazzler
lakshmi42
lakshmi42

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
I don't know about other religions; but yes, Hindu caste system is a complicated one. But now a days I don't think caste is given much importance especially in love marriages it is not at all possible to inquire first about the caste and then proceed. But unfortunately in arranged marriages usually proposals comes only from the same caste. But at times if it is not possible to find a groom/bride from the same caste; then inter-caste marriages are possible in arranged marriages also.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

AmbofanParulRatiShivi-Afeelicious-

mavee Groupbie
mavee
mavee

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm still confused as to why it matters what caste someone is from?! Nowadays people are marrying into different religions like Sikh and Hindus, Hindus and Muslims, Etc. I personally don't think it is a big deal if a Sikh and Hindu marry but even though I am from a foreign country and lived here all my life, it is still kinda hard to support a marriage between an Indian and Non-Indian. What do you guys think? I think it would be so annoying trying to always explain things to someone who doesn't even have the slightest understanding of your culture.LOL
Ambofan IF-Dazzler
Ambofan
Ambofan

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
I agree Mavee, I wud never support inter-religion or inter-nationality marriages. For inter-religion, my own religion doesn't allow it and I can't even think of a e.g. Pakistani girl marrying an Arab Muslim. Coz even if the religion is same, there are so many other differences which would take the whole life to cope up with.
So you also think that different religions n cultures can't inter marry right ?
But I dont know what's wrong with inter-caste marriages ? May be it is an old tradition which has some significance. 
lakshmi42 IF-Dazzler
lakshmi42
lakshmi42

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged
It may be because different castes are also having different traditions. This might create a problem and every caste have their own rituals and traditions. Many fear that they may not be able to adjust to new culture. So in order to be on the safer side; many may not prefer inter caste marriages.
mavee Groupbie
mavee
mavee

Posted: 20 February 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged
Interesting explanation Lakshmin42, I think you may be right because my mom was saying something about my sister's friend who had no idea she was about to marry someone really low caste and we are Jatt as well as her friend. My mom said that good thing she found before because they are like a whole different culture based on the way they do things. But I still don't understand how it is any different, this is where SLB comes into playLOL because they show that Bebo sometimes prays in a mandar then there's that scene where you see Amrit and Bebo at a gurdwara and he is thankful Bebo wore the pink suit. When Bebo use to live with Amrit's family and do a prayer at the mandar, they would play "kirtan" which is a Sikh prayer. Does this mean they are Hindu Punjabi? Sikh? Hindu? SO LOST!

Edited by mavee - 20 February 2011 at 11:59pm

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index