Page 1
Page   of 2

desigrl05

IF-Sizzlerz

desigrl05

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 02 March 2011 at 9:23am | IP Logged
hehe I guess im minority here

I loved the book! I like the journey of Ashima more than anything else, it shows how she comes to this land as a vulnerable woman and is faced with the harshest of realities and finally finds peace for herself. 
Jhumpa lahiri's books range dramatically, I severely disliked interpreter of the maladies, unaccustomed earth was somewhat better, but I have to say namesake is her best!

The book gets more serious towards the end where it comes to a full circle with Nikhil and his journey. 
I agree its not a groundbreaking book but I do think its a good read.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Sex.Direction

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

karti

karti

Posted: 07 March 2011 at 3:31am | IP Logged
even I liked that book. Somewhere in the middle it loses its charm but towards the end it again picks up. Loved the character of Ashima

Sex.Direction

diya_1987

diya_1987

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged
I love this book and it also happens to be one of my favouritesSmile

Sex.Direction

diya_1987

diya_1987

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

I saw the movie and didn't really like it much, I felt they kind of degraded the Indian culture.Unhappy In general I enjoy Indian genre books, but something like Namesake where Indians do no appreciate their culture just bothers me.

In what way did you feel that it degraded the Indian culture? Confused

Sex.Direction

diya_1987

diya_1987

Posted: 06 May 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by desigrl05

hehe I guess im minority here

I loved the book! I like the journey of Ashima more than anything else, it shows how she comes to this land as a vulnerable woman and is faced with the harshest of realities and finally finds peace for herself. 
Jhumpa lahiri's books range dramatically, I severely disliked interpreter of the maladies, unaccustomed earth was somewhat better, but I have to say namesake is her best!

The book gets more serious towards the end where it comes to a full circle with Nikhil and his journey. 
I agree its not a groundbreaking book but I do think its a good read.

Me to...I love this book  Smile

Sex.Direction

s.kundan

s.kundan

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:24am | IP Logged
I read 'the interpreter of maladies' by jhumpa lahiri. The short stories were really engaging. The namesake is on my to read list.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top