Kismat

This and That!

BheegiBasanti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
This show based on a New York Times bestseller and brought to the screen by a renowned production house follows the lives of Kabir and Aditya, born on the same day but into vastly different circumstances.

Like most adaptations, Kismat seems to be sticking rather closely to its inspiration for now.

Kane and Abel's William Kane, born in to a wealthy family of bankers is industrialist Madhav Merchant's son Aditya in Kismat.

Immigrant Abel Rosnovski, born in to abject poverty and who later embodied the quintessential rags to riches story in the original is Kismat's Kabir.

Yesterday's premiere episode and today's follow-up quickly dispensed with the introduction of the rest of the motley crew in this saga. Anybody who has read the original will know what I mean when I say Jeffrey Archer's stories were more plot based rather than character driven. True to that style, Kismat used signpost type characterization to establish the main players and focused more on moving the story along rapidly. Be it Aditya's refined yet snobbish grandmother, successful father and demure mother or Kabir's loving adopted mother and sister, the screenplay used extreme behaviors to ensure viewer clarity about the characters without having to devote valuable screenplay space for this purpose.

That said, the story has already deviated from the original by introducing a Kashmir freedom fighter type character who appears to be Kabir's birth father unlike the original in which the Baron was shown to be Abel's parent. Here, the Baron type character has been created in Arif Khan complete with a son to whom Kabir provides companionship.

From a screenplay standpoint, it remains to be seen how the writers here weave the historical happenings of that period in to the story. The original liberally utilized events such as the Titanic disaster and World War II in the narrative. Here, given the introduction of the Kashmir struggle, I anticipate the story will incorporate events such as the Indo - Pakistani war of 1965.

Overall: The story has begun well but I hope it avoids cliches such as the matching "kadas" seen in today's episode.

The team is also going to have find creative ways to spread the word and develop a loyal band of viewers. This story that will likely be short on eye-locks and magical duppatas has to compete for the attention of a vocal audience that can best be described with "short attention span and demanding". Thankfully the impulsive vagaries of the online junta used to making unreasonable demands of writers and creative teams will not hold sway here with the shooting well underway and story firmly established.

Edited by darlunia - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nymeria thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Yeah this is totally the indian version of Kane and Abel and so far it's been quite well and guess what?! there's so much more to come! In just 2 episodes they swept through about 8 years of storyline and most probably by the end of this week and the start of next week, they might run through the teen years.

Right now, Kabir's side of story seems to take a wider seat than ARM's. But it's good that they don't exclusively disregard ARM's side completely. Seems like this might go on for the rest of the show as well--- while stressing on one character story one episode at a time but not forgetting to juxtapose the counter-character's storyline alongside.

The good chunk of the show might start with the advent of adult ARM and Kabir's characters and that's what i'm more eager to watch.
Mru_bee thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
@darlunia.. great first comparison.. it has been a real long time since i read the book..

as the story unfolds we would know how they indianise it .

And I would really like to see the series given its fair chance in the plethora of all the series that we have.  And yes, I would like the creative team free from demands. we as an audience can love or hate or just dont care of a product, but the writers who have conceived the series, need to be aware of the feedback but not change course of the story to cater to some demands. I am hoping the way the episodes are already shot, there is very little chance of that happening so far..

-- Mru
Nymeria thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@mru-- Howdy!

Totally second ya on writers staying put on their conception of the plotlines and character sketches and definitely NOT succumbing to the so called viewer likes or dislikes because that just ruins their credibility as well as brings in the "stereotypical" style in...which is the last thing we would want from a show we give our super precious time to, correcto? lol

btw LMAO i don't think trip-fall-catch-stare sorta stuff gonna work in this show. Goodnes gracious thanks for such small mercies...hehehehhe

BheegiBasanti thumbnail
Amy...Oye chica! Very true...they have progressed 8 years already and I imagine that this story, like Kane and Abel, will span about 60 years. I expect that they will go back and forth between both Kabir and Aditya's lives at each point in the story similar to Archer's storytelling style.

Mru...Hiya. I'm Jaya. Could not agree more with you about the joy I feel at the potential of seeing the work of a creative team free of the demands of unreasonable viewers.

So...out of curiosity...who did you guys like when you read the book...Kane or Abel?

-pixie- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Jaya: Actually K&A also had a silver kada- that how Wadjek (or whatever was his name before Abel) realises that the Baron was his father πŸ˜†...And even in the book I think he finds place in their family so that he can keep their son company--I have a feeling thats wats going to happen even here...though they have made the Baron like figure a door ke rishtedaar rather than the parent...They are really sticking to the book!

Its been more than 15 years since I last read K&A- I definitely need a refresher....I dont think I even own a copy anymore...

Plus I think there will be ample scope for romance- they may play the William and Kate story for some time...and then obviously the Florentyna and Richard story (The net leap- which is my favorite book in the trilogy)- will it only be eyelocks? Of course not- but is the story devoid of romance, I dont think so!

I am also looking forward to the team being able to tell the story as they conceptualized it...though I guess a lot of viewers will be watching for departures from the plot πŸ˜†
Edited by -pixie- - 13 years ago
Mru_bee thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
hey Jaya, It has been too long to remember all the details.. though Abel's journey was more tedious and his attitude and his perceptions more complex..

yeaa.. as pixie said.. there was some bracelet which linked him to his real family ..

ohh had to add, I am not against a love story .. the key point being *story* .. simply shoving the leads into the trip and fall and dupattas in the name of *love*, without any journey or groW*H is not for me..

Heyy Amy, howz u..

-- Mru
Edited by Mru_bee - 13 years ago
BheegiBasanti thumbnail
This content was originally posted by--pixie-

Jaya: Actually K&A also had a silver kada- that how Wadjek (or whatever was his name before Abel) realises that the Baron was his father πŸ˜†...And even in the book I think he finds place in their family so that he can keep their son company--I have a feeling thats wats going to happen even here...though they have made the Baron like figure a door ke rishtedaar rather than the parent...They are really sticking to the book!

Shradha, yeah...Abel had the silver kada but not the Baron...I think. If my recollection serves me right, Abel realized the Baron was his father because of the missing nipple...right? Yeah...certainly loads of scope for romance but because of the K&A inspiration, I hope they execute it more maturely...πŸ˜ƒ
-pixie- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Baap of all spoilers πŸ˜†

@Jaya: Yup there was the third nipple angle as well! I seem to have forgotten quite a lot! 

@Mru: As long as they tell a good story I am up for it....Romance, No Romance...doesn't really matterπŸ˜†
maansa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
@pataka...thanks for the background info.... πŸ€—how is the book though? if its a good read then i will try it out πŸ˜ƒ