Research on English in India

Poll

Difference between British and Indian English?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
ohio thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
hEY GUYS

I need your help for my school-project, which is about English in India.
Please help me by casting your votes.

Thanks

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-DE- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
In UK their no difference really left. 90% of the Indian Youth in Uk have a britisch accent I think the britisch laugh about indian accent
NotYourType thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 5

Hmm...Well I am an Indian born and brought up in India. I started learning English when I was 10. Being a science student my learning process included less of conversing in English and more of written/technical English.
As to your poll options, here are my responses -
I don't like if someone complains about my accent - I have not come across any britisher who complained abt my accent. I try to talk slowly and clearly.

If I find MY Indian accent funny - No. You should ask this question to any britishers/british born Indians, they would be able to answer this better.
Do I feel unconfortable while speaking in Indian accent - NO. I don't even realise how I am talking as I am concentrating on the language more than the accent.
Am I ashamed of my Indian accent? - NO. Why should I be? If a britisher starts talking in Hindi or any other Indian language, should they be ashamed of their accent?
It is difficult to understand British accent - Sometimes, when they talk too fast ๐Ÿ˜•. Also there are some peculier york, scottish accents which I find particularly incomprehensible. But that's okay. I try my best and leave the rest to the luck of person talking to me ๐Ÿ˜†You see for me accent is LEAST important as long as I get the GRAMMER right and am able to convey my meaning correctly.  I do feel ashamed if I make grammatical mistakes though๐Ÿ˜ณ
Hope these answers will help you in your survey.๐Ÿ˜Š
-GayabCat- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: monalidp

Hmm...Well I am an Indian born and brought up in India. I started learning English when I was 10. Being a science student my learning process included less of conversing in English and more of written/technical English.
I don't like if someone complains about my accent - I have not come across any britisher who complained abt my accent. I try to talk slowly and clearly.

If I find MY Indian accent funny - No. You should ask this question to any britishers/british born Indians, they would be able to answer this better.
Do I feel unconfortable while speaking in Indian accent - NO. I don't even realise how I am talking as I am concentrating on the language more than the accent.
Am I ashamed of my Indian accent? - NO. Why should I be? If a britisher starts talking in Hindi or any other Indian language, should they be ashamed of their accent?
It is difficult to understand British accent - Sometimes, when they talk too fast ๐Ÿ˜•. Also there are some peculier york, scottish accents which I find particularly incomprehensible. But that's okay. I try my best and leave the rest to the luck of person talking to me ๐Ÿ˜†You see for me accent is LEAST important as long as I get the GRAMMER right and am able to convey my meaning correctly.  I do feel ashamed if I make grammatical mistakes though๐Ÿ˜ณ

i am a british born
started speaking english since i was 3
so

I don't like if someone complains about my accent - i am a british born, came across so many indians and have loads of indian friends here so i dont actually find them funny or something, they actually always tell me to speak slow as am a fast speaker, well may british are like that if u speak to them face to face

If I find MY Indian accent funny - well , sometimes i felt that whenever i speak to my indian friends they are speaking totally the opposite, but they do make mistakes so i always corect the/m so there no problem for that tro me,and i dnt find it funny

Do I feel unconfortable while speaking in Indian accent - well i am a british born , and my family background is all indian so i cant say. i try to speak in an indian way but i cant i surely think that is because all my life i have brought up in a society where theres british everywhere and english speaking so i actually dont feel any way. i dont can speak punjabi, urdu or hindi but my friends always told me why do u always speak soo fast which i always get clueless coz i dont know why it happens.

Am I ashamed of my Indian accent? well, i cant answer this, coz i have a strong british accent and  about 50 percent indian accent so 50 percent of each but stronger in british way. i wont be ashamed in either way

It is difficult to understand British accent- well only u lot can answer this coz, i dont know what people say about my british accent so  u can let me knw, although my accent is way funny as my friends say so,

i think it shouldnae be difficult to understand it coz, its nae that hard. if you dont know what a word means then do let me know i surely there to explain what it means.
well i always say, dont be scared to ask wit am saying coz i wont fire back, i will help you what the british scotish word means in an english dictionary.  once again to say am a british born, with stong british/scottish accent, and 50percent with indian.

Hope that helps
-GayabCat- thumbnail
Originally posted by: -DE-

In UK their no difference really left. 90% of the Indian Youth in Uk have a britisch accent I think the britisch laugh about indian accent

well i have came across so many indians in britian and am a british so theire are differences of what i saw and heard. indian youth in uk is getting the british accent but they mix it with the indian accent so you cant tell the difference

upasana.diya thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: monalidp

to add to this i would say... it depends from person to person as well... some Britishers don't make you feel awkward in your shoes... others are not so helpful....

i had this incident once....
when i was working in India i just knew the sign # to be called as Hash and the guy on the phone kept saying pound and i was so very confused... but i persisted and went as far to ask him for help and he happily complied...

so all your questions depend on tolerance level and self-confidence level and inferiority complex level of an individual and don't depend on an individual....

So my answers would be

I don't like if someone complains about my accent - Not in the least, i see that as a cue to speak slowly and more clearly
If I find MY Indian accent funny - Nopes. if the person whom we are speaking to understands what you are saying its not funny... but if they don't understand well the other person has to have the decency to let us know that he/she couldn't quite understand what we said and not make fun of our language...
Do I feel uncomfortable while speaking in Indian accent -  Ofcourse not.... who will feel uncomfortable in old shoes ๐Ÿ˜‰
Am I ashamed of my Indian accent? - Never... why should I, i take pride in my heritage... If someone is ashamed that means they have low self confidence and have inferiority complex and i can't associate either of the attributes with today's youth
It is difficult to understand British accent - any language or dialect we don't know, is difficult to understand.... so it all depends on a person's tolerance level here... is a person tolerant enough to give the speaker time to make themselves understand and appreciate the difference....

Hope i was able to help hun... do well on your project
Edited by upasana.diya - 13 years ago
-GayabCat- thumbnail
Originally posted by: upasana.diya

to add to this i would say... it depends from person to person as well... some Britishers don't make you feel awkward in your shoes... others are not so helpful....

i had this incident once....
when i was working in India i just knew the sign # to be called as Hash and the guy on the phone kept saying pound and i was so very confused... but i persisted and went as far to ask him for help and he happily complied...

so all your questions depend on tolerance level and self-confidence level and inferiority complex level of an individual and don't depend on an individual....

So my answers would be

I don't like if someone complains about my accent - Not in the least, i see that as a cue to speak slowly and more clearly
If I find MY Indian accent funny - Nopes. if the person whom we are speaking to understands what you are saying its not funny... but if they don't understand well the other person has to have the decency to let us know that he/she couldn't quite understand what we said and not make fun of our language...
Do I feel uncomfortable while speaking in Indian accent -  Ofcourse not.... who will feel uncomfortable in old shoes ๐Ÿ˜‰
Am I ashamed of my Indian accent? - Never... why should I, i take pride in my heritage... If someone is ashamed that means they have low self confidence and have inferiority complex and i can't associate either of the attributes with today's youth
It is difficult to understand British accent - any language or dialect we don't know, is difficult to understand.... so it all depends on a person's tolerance level here... is a person tolerant enough to give the speaker time to make themselves understand and appreciate the difference....

Hope i was able to help hun... do well on your project

am british diya
do u ever get me
๐Ÿ˜‰
well everything is difficult when u never heard of any language but tbh i have so much tolerance and patience an u know how much british scottich wrds i use up here

upasana.diya thumbnail
sometimes its a bit difficult hun, but i go with contextual meaning... if you know what i mean๐Ÿ˜‰

when it goes scottish i am very confused, but i do ask whenever it becomes difficult to understand... the incident i was referring to the person was scottish....๐Ÿ˜Š.... though its always said scots are very proud, but this person was really helpful....
-GayabCat- thumbnail
Originally posted by: upasana.diya

sometimes its a bit difficult hun, but i go with contextual meaning... if you know what i mean๐Ÿ˜‰

when it goes scottish i am very confused, but i do ask whenever it becomes difficult to understand... the incident i was referring to the person was scottish....๐Ÿ˜Š.... though its always said scots are very proud, but this person was really helpful....

aww yeh i do know what you mean but i always try to put it to the original english xx
but ano u always ask whenever u dont understand what i mean or other people

lol scots very proud this is the first time ive heard it

upasana.diya thumbnail
Originally posted by: ayesha_78

aww yeh i do know what you mean but i always try to put it to the original english xx
but ano u always ask whenever u dont understand what i mean or other people

lol scots very proud this is the first time ive heard it

@Bold  - Really.... but thats what i heard, maybe i was misinformed๐Ÿ˜‰