Ideas for Banner Contest - Please Help! - Page 2

Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by _Vrish_

Shivang

Not to quibble, but Vibhishan is very much a character in the epics, and belongs right there w/ Prahlad, Bali, Ghatotkacha, Hanuman, et al.  He certainly doesn't belong w/ Meera, Tulsidas, Ramdas, et al

The only human beings who'd belong there would be people mentioned in the scriptures, such as mythological rulers (Ikshvaku, Raghu, Yayati, Harishchandra, Dushyant, Dhruva, Trishanku et al) and rishis (Vishwamitra, Vashistha, Kanva, Durvasha, Kashyap, et al)  Certainly not anybody who is described in medeaval history, or even in the post Indus-Valley  era.

Other than that, you're right

Oh come on yaar. Exactly the same I meant to say. Obviously I wouldn't put Vibhishan in category of Kaliyug historical devotees, would I? I used the word EVEN. Vibhishan is in the category of Bharat-Lakshman-Hanuman but he is all the more likely to be excluded I guessed so I cited it to explain that Meera would be far thing that way when we won't include some of the greatest of Treta/Dwapar devotees. And if one considers Meera to be incarnation/reincarnation of Radha or Lalita then the same logic applies to her what applies to Sitaji with Lakshmiji you mentioned. We are already including Radhaji.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
Okay guys, I will create a poll and we'll go from there.😊
Whoa, this is a lot more complicated than I imagined πŸ˜† I figured we could just let people pick any two characters of their choice from the 5-6 main shows, but... guess that won't work ☺️

I was hoping we could keep it a little flexible so that we may announce the contest at the avi-sig forum as well, invite non-members to participate, and get the forum some visibility and possibly even new members by doing that. There could be tons of people on IF who share these interests but don't know about this forum, and announcing the contest there would be a great way for them to find out. However if we get tooooooo specific without explaining who's who in the various shows, we'll confuse them out of wanting to have anything to do with us πŸ˜†

If we manage to agree on who we want to include from each show, then Janu and I can set up a pic thread with suitable options for the less familiar participants to choose from.Here's who I thought of so far, feel free to add/subtract/multiply/divide... or simply agree πŸ˜†

One pair from each of the following, with no repeated characters as suggested by Shivang and Vrish... and my personal choices in bold πŸ˜› -
RS Ramayan: SiyaRam, Ram/Ravan, Sita-Hanuman, or Lakshman-Indrajeet
AS Ramayan: LakshmiNarayan (there are soooo many good pics of Guru as Vishnu!), Kaushalya-Dashrath
RS Shri Krishna - Narad and Krishna (or Radha)
JSK - Yashoda and Radha (or Krishna)
Om Namah Shivay - obviously Shiv-Parvati, but I'd include Samar rather than Yashodhan
BRC Mahabharat - Draupadi and Arjun
Originally posted by lola610

Whoa, this is a lot more complicated than I imagined πŸ˜† I figured we could just let people pick any two characters of their choice from the 5-6 main shows, but... guess that won't work ☺️

I was hoping we could keep it a little flexible so that we may announce the contest at the avi-sig forum as well, invite non-members to participate, and get the forum some visibility and possibly even new members by doing that. There could be tons of people on IF who share these interests but don't know about this forum, and announcing the contest there would be a great way for them to find out. However if we get tooooooo specific without explaining who's who in the various shows, we'll confuse them out of wanting to have anything to do with us πŸ˜†

If we manage to agree on who we want to include from each show, then Janu and I can set up a pic thread with suitable options for the less familiar participants to choose from.Here's who I thought of so far, feel free to add/subtract/multiply/divide... or simply agree πŸ˜†

One pair from each of the following, with no repeated characters as suggested by Shivang and Vrish... and my personal choices in bold πŸ˜› -
RS Ramayan: SiyaRam, Ram/Ravan, Sita-Hanuman, or Lakshman-Indrajeet
AS Ramayan: LakshmiNarayan (there are soooo many good pics of Guru as Vishnu!), Kaushalya-Dashrath
RS Shri Krishna - Narad and Krishna (or Radha)
JSK - Yashoda and Radha (or Krishna)
Om Namah Shivay - obviously Shiv-Parvati, but I'd include Samar rather than Yashodhan
BRC Mahabharat - Draupadi and Arjun

I'm liking the ideas, Lola, I too agree about not repeating the characters, because then it's like we're not giving importance to any other character than the main, and a banner can only hold so many pics from each show.πŸ˜†
@Shivang,

I too agree that people don't have any reason to get offended if their fav actor is not on the banner, because many here like more than one show equally and as long as someone they like is up there, they will be satisfied, but a lot here like only one show and one actor from that show, and if that actor is not up there, they may get disappointed or hurt, and the last thing we need in this forum is a fight.πŸ€”

I opened the banner voting poll guys, let's see how this goes.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1613318&PID=39077202&#39077202
Hi guys! I hope you all don't mind me joining this discussion, but I just had to express some of my own opinions, not wanting to offend any of you already here on this thread.

Firstly, I really want to add Meera to this banner. I mean, we can't take the the meaning of "Mythological" too literally and exclude a lot of the things that are a central part of the belief system. Meera is truly an ICON of bhakti in Hinduism. And because Meera didn't occur thousands of years ago, doesn't mean she can't be a part of this forum and the banner. I mean, the forum was created in the first place to discuss the serials we consider to be a part of it. 

Secondly, I would would wish that we use pictures from the mythological serials rather than the paintings of the deities. That's just me personally, but we mainly discuss mytho shows, make siggies of mytho actors, etc. I agree that it is all about God, but still. And the actors are portraying God's avatars anyway.

And lastly, I don't have a problem with having two or three krishnas, two rams, etc. I mean, don't we spend most of our time discussing the different shows like Jai Shri Krishna AND Shri Krishna? RS and AS Ramayan? It would look so nice if we have both Meghan and Swapnil on the siggy as well as Gurmeet and Arunji. And Lola di's idea sounds perfect. But one single thing to add, what if we showed RadhaKrishna from SK (love Swapnil and Shweta), but Dhriti and Meghan in JSK. I mean, most of the serial was about Dhriti, but there were tons of stages in SK. We can't include all those, but two Krishnas from JSK isn't much.

I hope what I wrote didn't offend anyone. I really really apologize if it did. 😭 Its a great idea that we have a poll. We can settle on a final idea easily with that. 😊
Edited by AishuJSKfan - 13 years ago
Sure Aishu, we're taking all suggestions into account.😊 It's just that people want more diverse characters on the banner because Ramayan is not only about Ram, it is about the journey of other characters like Sita, Hanuman, Lakshman, etc, while same for Krishna Leela. It is not only about Krishna, but about his four parents, Radha, Balram, etc....I guess people want to give equal importance to more than just the main leads.😳

Once the type of banner contest is chosen from the poll, I guess we can proceed from there.
@Aishu

No to worry at all. You have not offended by a single little word. You are just giving your own views which may or may not match with others' views. Regarding Meera, I don't have any problem like Vrish that she is historical character and others are mythological though the point is logically fully valid. My point was only that much that she is Kaliyug devotee - the only one on whom serial is made. So odd looking in between all other faces. Regarding one character not repeated, I think characters are important so it's fine if Arun Govil is included but Gurumeet is not or vice versa because we claim that we are eventually here for discussing spirituality - contents of the show and not the professionals who become part of the show.

@Janu

Well as I said, I am with your concern about excluding the entire serial because it is someone's source of devotion. Then there is one way out. You can show child Radha Krishna. In that, instead of taking Radha from SK, put child Meera in its place. From the point of view of fan member, she is Meera. From the point of view of any outsider, she is Radha. And after all, Radha & Meera are one and the same. Aditi you can show as Yashoda. Regarding actor excluded, I am still not in agreement with you. If one loves a mythological show for just one actor (rather than liking actors because of the show), then I think it is hard to understand because what is important is content. If someone initiates fight on that issue, then it is not justified. Just a petty concern. If I have to choose between you and my favourite mytho actor on one day to meet, I would pick you. Actors are actors. They need not be pure devotees like most of members over here. Why so much attachment when we are in the spiritual journey to exchange thoughts to balance each other's mind?😲 Liking actors' performance or even loving them and therefore enjoying the show is fine. But passionate off screen attachment and that too for one or two only!!!!! But anyway. Finally, I am for any type of banner. No problem. What was going on from my side was just intellectual input.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
Originally posted by AishuJSKfan

Hi guys! I hope you all don't mind me joining this discussion, but I just had to express some of my own opinions, not wanting to offend any of you already here on this thread.

Firstly, I really want to add Meera to this banner. I mean, we can't take the the meaning of "Mythological" too literally and exclude a lot of the things that are a central part of the belief system. Meera is truly an ICON of bhakti in Hinduism. And because Meera didn't occur thousands of years ago, doesn't mean she can't be a part of this forum and the banner. I mean, the forum was created in the first place to discuss the serials we consider to be a part of it. 

Secondly, I would would wish that we use pictures from the mythological serials rather than the paintings of the deities. That's just me personally, but we mainly discuss mytho shows, make siggies of mytho actors, etc. I agree that it is all about God, but still. And the actors are portraying God's avatars anyway.

And lastly, I don't have a problem with having two or three krishnas, two rams, etc. I mean, don't we spend most of our time discussing the different shows like Jai Shri Krishna AND Shri Krishna? RS and AS Ramayan? It would look so nice if we have both Meghan and Swapnil on the siggy as well as Gurmeet and Arunji. And Lola di's idea sounds perfect. But one single thing to add, what if we showed RadhaKrishna from SK (love Swapnil and Shweta), but Dhriti and Meghan in JSK. I mean, most of the serial was about Dhriti, but there were tons of stages in SK. We can't include all those, but two Krishnas from JSK isn't much.

I hope what I wrote didn't offend anyone. I really really apologize if it did. 😭 Its a great idea that we have a poll. We can settle on a final idea easily with that. 😊

Another thought occurred to me after seeing that poll - are animated banners TOTALLY banned on IF?  If not, can we propose an animated banner  that might satisfy everyone?

Here is the idea - have multiple banners created for every serial that we agree on - RS Ramayan, AS Ramayan, RS Krishna, BRC Mahabharat, Ekta KHMK, JSR, Meera, Om Namah Shivaya, Vishnu-puran, Shiva-puran, et al.  Agree on,  say, 8 serials.  Then make 8 static banners for each serial. (Note: animated here doesn't mean a video clip, like in my avi)

At the end of it all, make a GIF of these 8 slides, flipping them @ random, or sequentially, however it's convenient.  The advantages of doing this:
  • It neatly sidesteps the objections of having multiple Krishnas, Hanumans, Sitas, appearing in the same snapshot, and yet portrays all the major Ramas, Krishnas, etc who ever appeared
  • It allows the appearance of characters like Meera from her serial -  if that serial is agreed on - w/o putting her beside that of deities, and making it look really bizarre
Only constraint I'd put if this animated banner was an option - make a list of deities who must appear at least once in one static banner or the other - something minimal like the trinity deities and their consorts - Brahma, Saraswati, Vishnu, Lakshmi, Shiva & Parvati (Sati would be optional).  We could discuss/argue whether Durga is an acceptable substitute for Parvati.

So if this is possible, everybody can be happy.  Oh, and we can even have one of the static composite banners be that of original god pics.

So Lola, Janu, et al, any idea whether animated banners are an option here, given the scope of coverage?
Vrish, that's a great idea and I'd totally be in favor if an animated banner, but I talked with Shruti and they're completely banned from IF.πŸ˜” But I like your idea of making a list of compulsory characters and letting people choose which of them from which serial they select....that way, they have the freedom to put whom they want as well.