Hi Friends,Hug

I'm back but with 'Discussion of the Week' Embarrassed

Well, Now that we have heard of AR Rahman being nominated

for oscars for the 2nd time Clap

Really Praying that he wins and makes us proud like always
(Ellam Iraivan Kaiyile)

So this week the topic is about our

Oscar Nayagan,Isai Puyal,Mozart of Madran

Recently while hearing ARR songs on Youtube I found many reports on how ARR's old touch was missing etc

So Thats the discussion for this week.I really would request you all to please give your opinion of the following

1. Is ARR's old touch (during the Roja, Gentleman Times) Missing?

2. Do you feel that his music is now more universal than regional

3. Which works of ARR do you prefer the Most

(his present ones or the ones during the age of Roja, Rangeela etc)

Please abide by the rules of Sensational South Section as well as India-forums.com !

Please give your constructive criticisms

Edited by anjkhoney - 01 February 2011 at 1:07pm

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaMayil_irahe-musicluv-_SK_Additi_sjfanfuzzyfaceMP_RadhaammoosRoshni.kavya.b

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTW - AR Rahman's Music" in Sensational South forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MP_Radha

IF-Veteran Member

MP_Radha

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged
Great Topic Anj ClapClap
First of all congrats to our mozard of madras for yet another thrilling nomination..

I shall be back soon with my points...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

anjkhoney

malluangel

IF-Rockerz

malluangel

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged
i personally like his old music.. i mean like it was more traditional. but i liked the blue theme from recent times... and guru just mystifies me!

b back later!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

anjkhoney

Additi_sjfan

IF-Dazzler

Additi_sjfan

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged
Awesome topic..... n yes... that old arr vs new arr qns always makes me ponder too... so i've tried to summarise what i think below.... hopefully it makes sense.. if it doesnt.... then.... ConfusedBig smile

Personally if i listen to his current songs (VTV, Endhiran, Raavan etc).... they are good, but u can only listen to them a certain limited times.... raavan for example was pretty annoying at parts... i starting skippin all the songs on my mp3 after the first week n by 2nd wk i deleted them all.. same goes for endhiran... there's only a few songs that u can listen to all the time...

VTV was romantic... i loved it when it came out... but if i listen to them now..  i dont...

but if u look at his old works like roja... gentlemen, kadhalan... even if i listen to them now.. i can still fall in love with them... there's a certain joy that returns when we listen to them again.....
& i guess it's because the songs in the past were very soulful and had a level of depth.... i dont know whether we can say ARR has lost this old touch... cos old or new songs, they r all amazing... only diff the old songs if u listen to them yrs later... u can still love them.. but the current songs dont leave such a impact, u tend to just skip them after some time....

universal vs regional..... well.. music is a universal language.... but yes, arr had started to have more international touch to his music then regional touch... but arr has always been having a universal touch to his music... right from the start... during roja onwards.. illayaraja was known for his regional music... n arr brought in a new genre of modern indian music... so i guess what i'm sayin is... arr has always been universal.. n even today remains so.....

the only diff was.... previously he only made tamil songs, so they had a stronger regional feel as well.. but recently, with him composing bilingual music n international music... it's diff cos each region has diff taste... and to acheive a sense of balance is pretty tough to appeal to all....

my pick would be old music.... its still is a joy to listen to them.. n my all-time fav album is kandukondein kandukondein... love the movie n music...

well, that's all folks.... pretty much all i can say abt arr now... n congo to him for his 2nd nomination....

Edited by Additi_sjfan - 01 February 2011 at 9:06pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Mayil_iraheanjkhoneyRoshni.

ammoos

IF-Veteran Member

ammoos

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged
Great topicClap

1. Is ARR's old touch (during the Roja, Gentleman Times) Missing?

Sadly, yesOuch Its not that he lost the touch, he is more on to EXPERIMENTING. Thats the main reason why we dont get his melodies that often. Remember he gave us Munbe vaa at a time when he was criticised more for not providing his best. So he still can give us but only he has to be ready for itLOL

2. Do you feel that his music is now more universal than regional.

Yes, its more universal and he is concentrating in global music more than Indian films. Last year he had very few films under his name. But cant blame him.

3. Which works of ARR do you prefer the Most .

The good old melodies Roja, Bombay, Love birds etc... Those are still his BEST. And he takes out his best for Maniratnam except Raavanan of course, such boring tracksOuch

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

anjkhoneyAdditi_sjfanfuzzyfaceRoshni.

x.sunayna.x

IF-Dazzler

x.sunayna.x

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 1:44am | IP Logged

- I don't think he's losing his touch, his music is amazing, and he's always had a 'different' style of music which I guess he is developing. Music worldwide is developing and changing and India could fall behind if that change wasn't being made.. Not that I don't love old indian music :) I've even got some of my non-indian friends into some of his music - Endhiran/VTV .. they love it :)

- I don't think that his music is universal or regional. He makes music which suits the movie. I think the music for VTV was amazing, it was all feel-good, sing-along music but non of it could have really been classified as regional apart for perhaps aaromale which was modern style-regional. & it worked out perfect for the movie. But so did the music for Roja and his older works. But his music has always been different to other music directors so its like he has his own category.

- Roja, Bombay, Dil Se, Lagaan, Swades, Guru and VTV .. Can listen to them all the time, but like above.. i didn't really enjoy the soundtrack of Raavanan !

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anjkhoneyAdditi_sjfanfuzzyface

-musicluv-

Goldie

-musicluv-

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged
Thanks Anj for the superbb topic!!

He's definitely a genius, and none can deny it. His old tracks are definitely one of the best, cos they were fresh when they were composed, ppl hadn't heard it before, and so we were very quick in imbibing the tune and falling in love with it over and over again.

As the no. of songs composed increase, it is reaching the capacity that one can compose with the same kind of genre. For eg, songs composed in the same raag have the same touch, as they depend on a fixed no of phrases. And therefore, at such limits, ppl tend to explore other genres and other areas, and that is what ARR is doing, which sadly doesn't go too well with people who are very used to the regional, or rather his native touch.

Apparently, he's only composing music for one movie in 2011, and he's just too busy, So I guess when he really finds time to his best, we'll get more 'Munbe Vaa's 'Mannipaaya's Big smile

My list of favorite tracks are endless - Roja, Gentleman, Kadhalan, Bombay, Alaipayuthey, Rang De Basanti, Swades, Sillunu oru Kadhal, Boys...EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Additi_sjfanfuzzyface

fuzzyface

IF-Rockerz

fuzzyface

Posted: 03 February 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged
Great Topic.

I think he is still fab and one of the most outstanding musician in the world. To me I think as the music scene is evolving, so is AR Rahman. He can't be sounding or using the same technique he used to when he first started.

I know many people didn't like Enthiran and critics were harsh on him. But they way I see it for most soundtrack, people tend to associate with the music video and Shankar Sir didn't do a good job. Compared to Shivaji The Boss, Enthiran music video was nothing near close. My favourite songs Irumbile Oru Idhiyam and Arima Arima were awesome songs but failed to get noticed plus the Hindi version sucked big time, god knows who did the translation.

As for Ravan, I tght it had brilliant the songs and lyrics but again coz the movie flopped in Hindi people are not very kind to the music.
But AR Rahman's music is still as good as ever, have a listen to Ada's song especially Meherbaan, it's awesome and very haunting.

Generally I feel that since he won the Oscars, people and critics are having great expectation. To me this is how I see it, I remember an interview of Kamal Hassan and they asked him why he hasn't collaborated with Mani Ratnam since Nayagan. Kamal Sir answered that both him n Mani Sir are afraid because of the immense success and cult following of the movie, shld they make another one and it doesn't even come close, people are going to be disappointed. So it's better to leave it at that and let ppl enjoy what they have.

So at this point no matter what he does people will always compare him to his past and the fact that he has an Oscar, thus it will never be as good or better or maybe best to some.

ok am done ranting LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Additi_sjfanRoshni.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.