Amor. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
its ok bhabhz study comes first 
all d best to u
radhikarani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thnx Bharti, Bhargavi, debipriya, anu, megha.
Hi megha bst f lck 4 ur xam. Me too hv xam n me too nt much actv these days.
anu93 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

PRINCELY STATE OF JUNAGADH

Literally translated, Junagadh means "Old Fort". It is also known as "Sorath", the name of the earlier Princely State of Junagadh.

Old History: Mauryan dynasty:

An impressive fort, Uperkot, located on a plateau in the middle of town, was originally built during the Mauryan dynasty by Chandragupta in 319 BCE The fort remained in use until the 6th century, when it was covered over for 300 years, then rediscovered in 976 CE The fort was besieged 16 times over an 800-year period. One unsuccessful siege lasted twelve years.

Ashoka's Rock Edict at Junagadh
An inscription with fourteen Edicts of Ashoka is found on a large boulder within 2 km of Uperkot Fort.The inscriptions carry Brahmi script in a language similar to Pali and date back to 250 BCE On the same rock are inscriptions in Sanskrit added around 150 CE by Mahakshatrap Rudradaman I, the Saka (Scythian) ruler of Malwa, a member of the Western Kshatrapas dynasty. Another inscription dates from about 450 CE and refers to Skandagupta, the last Gupta emperor. Old rock-cut Buddhist "caves" in this area, dating from well before 500 CE, have stone carvings and floral work. There are also the Khapra Kodia Caves north of the fort, and the Babupyana Caves south of the fort.

The Maitraka dynasty ruled Gujarat in western India from 475 to 767 CE The founder of the dynasty, general Bhatarka, a military governor of Saurashtra peninsula under the Gupta empire, established himself as the independent ruler of Gujarat approximately in the last quarter of the 5th century. However, James Tod states Maitraka rule ended as early as 524 CE.

Solanki dynasty

The Solanki, of the Chalukya dynasty, ruled Gujarat in the 11th and 12th centuries. The two large step wells (vavs) of Uperkot Fort were both commissioned by Rah Navghan I (1025-1044 CE). Muslims conquered Gujarat in 1299 and the Sultanate of Gujarat was formed in 1407. Mahmud Begada (Mahmud Shah I) invaded Junagadh in 1467. The city was annexed to the Gujarat Sultanate; the city foundation was laid for Mahmudabad in 1497. Strong embankments were raised along the river, and the city was adorned with a palace, handsome buildings and extensive gardens. When the Portuguese took over the ports of Diu and Daman in the 16th century, a fifteen-foot cannon, made in Egypt in 1531, was abandoned at Uperkot Fort by a Turkish admiral opposing the Portuguese forces at Diu.

Mughal rule

Mohammad Bahadur Khanji I, who owed allegiance to the Sultan of Ahmedabad, founded the state of Junagadh by expelling the Mughal governor and declaring independence in 1748. Mohammad Bahadur Khanji I, who assumed the name "Zaid Khan" when he came to power in Junagadh, was the founder of the Babi dynasty. His descendants, the Babi Nawabs of Junagadh, conquered large territories in southern Saurashtra and ruled over the state for the next two centuries, first as tributaries of Baroda, and later under the suzerainty of the British. Nawabs of Babi dynasty:

• 1735 - 1758 : Mohammad Bahadur Khanji I[4]
  • 1758 - 1775 : Mohammad Mahabat Khanji I
  • 1775 - 1811 : Mohammad Hamid Khanji I
  • 1811 - 1840 : Mohammad Bahadur Khanji II
  • 1840 - 1851 : Mohammad Hamid Khanji II
  • 1851 - 1882 : Mohammad Mahabat Khanji II
  • 1882 - 1892 : Mohammad Bahadur Khanji III
  • 1892 - 1911 : Mohammad Rasul Khanji
  • 1911 - 1948 : Mohammad Mahabat Khanji III
Junagadh Nawabs and state officials, 19th century

Bahadur Khanji III (r. 1882-1892), Nawab of Junagadh, and state officials, 1880s.
Mohammad Mahabat Khanji II, the Nawab of Junagarh, with young, Mohammad Bahadur Khanji III. 1870s.
Mohammad Rasul Khanji, Nawab of Junagadh, Bahaduddinbhai Hasainbhai, Wazier, Junagadh, 1890s.
Bahauddin Makbara

British period

The East India Company took control of the state in 1818, but the Saurashtra area never came under the direct administration of British India. Instead, the British divided the territory into more than one hundred princely states, which remained in existence until 1947. The present old town, developed during the 19th and 20th centuries, is one of the former princely states which were outside but under the suzerainty of British India.

The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Junagadh was constructed on the land presented by Jinabhai (Hemantsingh) Darbar of Panchala, and dedicated on Friday, 1 May 1828 A.D.

Flag of Junagadh, during British period

Accession of Junagadh to India:

During the period spanning the independence and partition of India and Pakistan in 1947, the 562 princely states that had existed outside British India under British suzerainty were given a choice of acceding to either India or Pakistan or remaining outside them. Although the states were theoretically free to choose, Earl Mountbatten stated that "geographic compulsions" meant that most of them would choose India. Mountbatten took the position that only states that shared a common border with Pakistan should choose to accede to it, but he had no power to impose this point of view on the states.

On September 15, 1947, Nawab Mohammad Mahabat Khanji III of Junagadh, a princely state located on the south-western end of Gujarat and having no common border with Pakistan, chose to accede to Pakistan ignoring Mountbatten's views, arguing that Junagadh adjoined Pakistan by sea. The rulers of two states that were subject to the suzerainty of Junagadh — Mangrol and Babariawad — reacted by declaring their independence from Junagadh and acceding to India. In response, the nawab of Junagadh militarily occupied the two states. Rulers of the other neighbouring states reacted angrily, sending troops to the Junagadh frontier, and appealed to the Government of India for assistance. A group of Junagadhi people, led by Samaldas Gandhi, formed a government-in-exile, the Aarzi Hukumat ("temporary government").

India believed that if Junagadh was permitted to accede to Pakistan, communal tension already simmering in Gujarat would worsen, and refused to accept the Nawab's choice of accession. The government pointed out that the state was 80% Hindu, and called for a plebiscite to decide the question of accession. India cut off supplies of fuel and coal to Junagadh, severed air and postal links, sent troops to the frontier, and occupied the principalities of Mangrol and Babariawad that had acceded to India.

Pakistan agreed to discuss a plebiscite, subject to the withdrawal of Indian troops, a condition India rejected. On 26 October, the Nawab and his family fled to Pakistan following clashes with Indian troops. Before leaving, the Nawab had emptied the state treasury of its cash and securities.

On 7 November, Junagadh's court, facing collapse, invited the Government of India to take over the State's administration. The Dewan of Junagadh, Sir Shah Nawaz Bhutto, the father of the more famous Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, decided to invite the Government of India to intervene and wrote a letter to Mr. Buch, the Regional Commissioner of Saurashtra in the Government of India to this effect.

The Government of Pakistan protested, saying that since the Nawab had chosen to accede to Pakistan, the Dewan had no authority to negotiate a settlement with India. The government of India rejected the protests of Pakistan and accepted the invitation of the Dewan to intervene. A plebiscite was conducted in February 1948, but it was not internationally monitored and Pakistan claims was not based on the plebiscite but on the logic of Kashmir Annexation, which went almost unanimously in favour of accession to India. Junagadh became a part of the Indian state of Saurashtra until 1 November 1956, when Saurashtra became part of Bombay state. In 1960, Bombay state was split into the linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat, in which Junagadh was located.

DYNASTY:  Babi (Yousufzai Pathan)

PRESENT HEIR :  HH Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED JAHANGIR KHANJI DILAWAR KHANJI , 13th Nawab of Junagadh (1989/-) born 6th August 1955, living in Karachi, Pakistan, married and has issue. Nawabzada Ali Murtaza Khanji Jahangirkhanji

SHORT HISTORY:  Founded in 1730. The State follows the rule of Primogeniture for succession, also had a Sanad of adoption. Rulers were...

• Bahadurkhanji Babi 1630/1654, married and had issue.
    • Sherkhanji Babi (qv)

• Sherkhanji Babi 1654/1690, married and had issue.
    • Nawab Ja'afarkhanji Babi [Sardarkhanji] (qv)
    • Khan Shri Mubarazkhanji Babi [Kadi, 1674]
    • Khan Shri Muzaffarkhanji Babi [Kadi District]
    • Khan Shri Shahbazkhanji Babi

• Nawab Ja'afarkhanji Babi [Sardarkhanji] 1690/1725, married and had issue.
    • Nawab Saheb Salabat Muhammadkhan Babi (qv)
    • Khan Shri Jahan Babi [Jawan Mard Khan], was given and established the house of Radhanpur, in 1725.
    • Nawab Sherkhanji Babi, married and had issue.
      • Khan Shri Samatkhan Babi, married and had issue.
        • Khan Shri Ja'afarkhan Babi, married and had issue.
          • Khan Shri Muzaffarkhan Babi
          • Khan Shri Fatehyabkhan Babi, both were Ranpur Bhayat.
  • Nawab Saheb Salabat Muhammadkhan Babi 1725/1730, was given and established Viramgam and Gogha, Deputy Governor of Junagadh; willed his territory to his sons, with the eldest recieving Junagadh and the younger sons sharing in the Bantva district; married and had issue. He died of cholera in 1730 at Ahmedabad.

• Nawab Saheb Bahadurkhanji Babi [Sherkhan] (qv)
    • Khan Saheb Shri DILER KHAN SALABAT MUHAMMED KHAN, 1st Ruler of Manavadar.
    • Khan Saheb Shri SHER ZAMAN KHAN SALABAT MUHAMMED KHAN, 1st Taluqdar of Bantva.
  • Nawab Saheb Bahadurkhanji Babi [Sherkhan] [1728, Deputy, Junagadh; 1748, Nawab, Junagadh.], 1st Nawab of Junagadh (see below).
  1. Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED SHER KHAN BABI 1735/1758, placed in charge of Viramgam by his father in 1728, succeeded in Junagadh in 1730 and declared himself independent in 1735; married and had issue. He died 1758.
    • Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED MAHABAT KHANJI I (qv)
    • Nawab Saheb SARDAR MUHAMMAD KHANJI, founder of Balasinor.
  2. Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED MAHABAT KHANJI I 1758/1774, married and had issue. He died 1774.
    • Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED HAMID KHANJI I (qv)

3. Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED HAMID KHANJI I 1774/1811, married and had issue. He died 1811.
    • Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED BAHADUR KHANJI I (qv)

4. Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED BAHADUR KHANJI I 1811/1840, married and had issue.
    • Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED HAMID KHANJI II (qv)
    • Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED MAHABAT KHANJI II (qv)
  5. Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED HAMID KHANJI II 1840/1851, born 1828, died 1851. 

6. Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED MAHABAT KHANJI II 1851/1882, K.C.S.I., married and had issue. He died 29th September 1882.
    • HH Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED BAHADUR KHANJI II (qv)
    • HH Nawab Saheb Sir MUHAMMED RASUL KHANJI (qv)
    • Nawabzada Adilkhanji Mahabatkhanji Babi,educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; Commandant of the Imperial Service Troops of Junagadh.
  7. HH Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED BAHADUR KHANJI II 1882/1892, born 1856, succeeded 29th September 1882 (#1), G.C.I.E., educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; died 23rd January 1892

8. HH Nawab Saheb Sir MUHAMMED RASUL KHANJI 1892/1911, born 1858, G.C.S.i., married and had issue. He died 24th January 1911.
    • Nawabzada Sher Zamankhanji, died 15th August 1908.
    • Nawabzada Bahadurkhanji, died 18th April 1906.
    • Capt. HH Nawab Saheb Sir MUHAMMED MAHABAT KHANJI III RASUL KHANJI (qv)
  9. Capt. HH Nawab Saheb Sir MUHAMMED MAHABAT KHANJI III RASUL KHANJI 1911/1959, born 2nd August 1900, G.C.S.I., K.C.S.I. [cr.1926], educated in England and at Mayo College, Ajmer, entitled to a personal 15 gun salute, married Munawar Jahan Begum of Bhopal and had issue. He died 7th November 1959 at Karachi.
    • HH Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED DILAWAR KHANJI MAHABAT KHANJI (qv)
    • Nawabzada Muhammad Himatkhanji Mahabatkhanji Babi, born 16th February 1924.
    • Nawabzada Muhammad Shamsherkhanji Mahabatkhanji Babi
    • Nawabzada Muhammad Iqbalkhanji Mahabatkhanji Babi
  10. HH Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED DILAWAR KHANJI MAHABAT KHANJI 1959/1989, born 23rd June 1922, married 1stly, 30th November 1945, married 2ndly, HH Nawab Shah Begum Sahiba, and had issue. He died 1989.
    • HH Nawab Saheb MUHAMMED JAHANGIR KHANJI DILAWAR KHANJI (qv)
    • Nawabzada Muhammad Alamgir Khanji M.B.A. (by Shah Begum Sahiba), born June 1957 in Karachi, presently (2011) working as a senior banker in Karachi; married 1989 in Karachi, Fiziyeh Bokhary, daughter of Admiral (Ret'd.) Syed Fasih Bokhary, Pakistan Navy, and has issue, two daughters.

• Nawabzada Muhammad Zaheer Khanji B.A. (by Shah Begum Sahiba), born 3rd January 1962, educated at Punjab University, Lahore (B.A.); married 11th September 1999 in Karachi, and has issue, two daughters.

radhikarani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Anu all your princely state post r awesme. Lv hist. Vry infrmatv post
Amor. thumbnail
Awesome post anu , really i dnt noe abt all this before , we hv so much royalty in our country 

Ok guyz 
i hv request to all of u 
attract members to this CC , pm ur frndz who r interested in history n ask them to join it .
More members, more info n more fun.
anu93 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Sure di 👍🏼...I'll pm most of my friends
Amor. thumbnail
Thnx Anu 

:)

JOAN IN INDIA: The story of Autralian Begum of Palanpur. Joan Falkiner married Nawab Sir Taley Mohammed Khan of Palanpur & was known as "the australian begum" in British circles. The book chronicles her life:http://suzannefalkiner.com/book/joan-in-india/

Historylover thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks for the awesome info Anu & Khushi😛

Wow...Joan Falkiner is a mesmerizing beauty😊
Amor. thumbnail
yes bhargavi she was 
got it sumwhere so thought of sharing :)
Amor. thumbnail

Kalinjar Fort

Kalinjar is a fortress-city in the Bundelkhand region of central India. Kalinjar is located in Banda District of Uttar Pradesh state, near the temple-city and World Heritage Site of Khajuraho. The fortress is strategically located on an isolated rocky hill at the end the Vindhya Range, at an elevation of 1203 feet overlooking the plains of Bundelkhand. It served several of Bundelkhand's ruling dynasties, including the Chandela dynasty of Rajputs in the 10th century, and the Solankisof Rewa. The fortress contains several temples, dating as far back as the Guptadynasty of the 3rd-5th centuries.

For More