Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 16

wanker

Groupbie

wanker

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -_AfridiMalik_-

Originally posted by TJ2

Despite socring this many runs he is humble kind n down to earth..he is out of controversies n has a clear character !!!!! Tongue

HALLO HALLO HALLO LECTURER!
LMAO!
stop giving lectures at it... i never questioned his character alryt!? i very well know how humble and down to earth he is so just keep it 2 urself :]
yeah!
dont give me examples of controversies, cz we all know where they RISE from... anyways, why the irrelevant stuff!?
ROFL

I'm glad you know where the controversies rise from Clap 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

MysticalRealmReal.Madrid

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Greatest Cricketer Ever? (Page 9)" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

wanker

Groupbie

wanker

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShadowKisses

@bhinder.thind: You are contradicting yourself by saying stats don't tell the true story and simultaneously citing several of Tendulkar's statistics (for me to infer from, I would assume). Bradman was, as I understand it, the true Colossus of the game as he averaged 45 more runs that the players of his era. I don't think even Sachin has ever managed that over the entireity of his career.

Both Sachin and Bradman have considerable points that somehow favour one over the other.

1] In the era of Bradman, the one single test lasted for 9 days. The format was reduced to 5-day in 1945 after which he played only 6 tests at an average of 31.4. Bradman's stike rate was not more than 29.7. 

2] He played only 4 spinners in his time- Clarie Grimmett, Headley Verity, Eric Hollies and Bill O'Reilly, none of whom he was comfortable against. In fact, he was bowled by a googly in his last match. Out of these, 2 spinners were of his own team. He played only Verity and O'Reilly in international matches.He admitted that playing spinners was the most tricky thing he faced in life. I highly doubt how he would fare against the spinners if they are available in plenty as in this era. We aren't sure of the quality of bowlers and their pace. 

3] The fielders in his era were not even a quarter as athletic as they are today, the fielding standards were very poor. Most field placings were very aggressive, there were very less players on the boundaries. This explains his heavy dependence of runs on boundaries. 

4] The competition wasn't as intense as it is now. High level of incompetent cricket explains why more matches resulted in draws rather than one of the teams winning.

5] He played only few teams, and at that point of time, it was clearly his team which was most dominant. 

7] He played very less matches as compared to what they play today. Today, players need more stamina to survive all the formats. No wonder, either we see players retiring at a young age today or quitting the test format. He and others got adequate rest and time to prepare himself for further games.

8] Most people in his era didn't take cricket as seriously as he did. Cricket wasn't a profession then, so we can say why his average stands out against his contemporaries. Bradman himself was of the opinion that there were other batsmen, contemporaries of his, who had the talent to be just as prolific as he was but lacked the concentration. Stan McCabe, who needed a particular challenge to bring the best of him, was no doubt one of them. "I wish I could bat like that, he is the greatest ever batsman I have seen." 

9} He never played limited overs cricket, where scoring at a brisk rate is a must.

10] There weren't as many rules at that time. Its said that his bat weighed 6 pounds, I don't know its legitimacy though.

11] The bodyline bowling, which is said as unsporting isn't a genuine reason that he should be rated highly. There are many more deliveries invented today, which could have been rendered as illegal or unsporting then. 

12] Donald Bradman has more not outs per innings than other contemporaries, this is a very huge factor for his high average.

13] Bradman played only in 2 countries, England and Australia, the conditions were familiar.

Sachin Tendulkar 

1] Sachin played in an era where pitches were covered. The bounce was even. Strokemaking(and not runmaking) is easier today.

2] The protective gear is quite of a good quality, adequate, and much lighter today.

3] Players have all the infrastructure needed for practicing- nets, bowling machine etc

4] With the invention of video, one can actually study bowling techniques, no wonder Mendis has now been sorted out. 

5] Sachin has had his share of innumerable injuries, many of them career threatening. This has quite affected his performance.

6} Not just average makes a batsman good. Bradman holds all the records associated with average, while Sachin in terms of quantity. It would have been interesting to know how much Sachin's contemporaries lag behind him in terms of runs scored in all the formats he has played.

Having said all this, there are for and against the motion. Thats what makes this such a wonderful debate, yet inconclusive. The debate is very much on, it does make sense, but as I said, it is inconclusive. Having said this, I'm slightly inclined towards Sachin Tendulkar because I have never seen Sir Donald Bradman bat, but I'm sure that he did justice to all the respect/appreciation that we have for him today.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfSavvyReal.Madridtomnjerry2

wanker

Groupbie

wanker

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged

Edited by wanker - 17 April 2011 at 1:08pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

MysticalRealmSavvytomnjerry2

safeplacetoland

IF-Stunnerz

safeplacetoland

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged
"Sachin has carried the burden of India for 21 years, it's time we carried him" - Virat Kohli.

This quote says it all :))

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

wankerMysticalRealmhindu4lyfSavvyParachute.tomnjerry2

Real.Madrid

IF-Sizzlerz

Real.Madrid

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged
Woow, can't believe some people are actually mentioning any other name than Sachin Shocked

Oh wait I can.. Jealous, that they dont have a Sachin playing in their team LOL dont worry I understand Tongue

Imran Khan LOL, he might be a good cricketer.. But the best? No ways in my opinion..

No one can reach Sachin's level and everyone knows that not only Indians !

Edited by HiphopStahKiran - 16 April 2011 at 6:12pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

wankerMysticalRealmSavvyhindu4lyfParachute.safeplacetolandtomnjerry2

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged
Cricinfo some months back did a contest for putting together an all time World XI, and came up w/ the following squads:

The World XI:
Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Gary Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Malcolm Marshall, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Dennis Lillee

The Second XI: Sunil Gavaskar, Barry Richards, George Headley, Brian Lara, Wally Hammond, Imran Khan, Alan Knott, Bill O'Reilly, Fred Trueman, Muttiah Muralitharan, SF Barnes

Readers' XI: Sunil Gavaskar, Virender Sehwag, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Garry Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath

So the way I see it, the top cricketer of all time should be from one of these.  Of course, there could be many more, such as Michael Holding, Steve Waugh, Rodney Marsh, and so on, but I thought narrowing it down might be helpful.

I'd vote for Sir Gary Sobers, since I'd think of the greatest cricketer as an all-rounder.  So I'd first choose from the great all-rounders, like Sobers, Sir Richard Hadlee, Keith Miller and so on b4 going to the likes of Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards or Holding.

Note that the above links also have the greatest ever XIs of every country, whence too one can select

Edited by _Vrish_ - 17 April 2011 at 1:38am

ruky786

IF-Stunnerz

ruky786

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 8:39am | IP Logged
Brian Lara was probably one of the best! I really think he was amazing!

wankerMagixX

Savvy

IF-Rockerz

Savvy

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:29am | IP Logged
^^

this is what Brian Lara said bout Sachin 

"Sachin Tendulkar is a genius. I'm a mere mortal" - Brian Lara

Sachin is a total differrnt class...truely unmatchable!!Approve

Real.Madridtomnjerry2