Sports/Cricket

   

The Greatest Cricketer Ever? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 16

tomnjerry2

IF-Addictz

tomnjerry2

Joined: 21 February 2009

Posts: 66798

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 12:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShadowKisses

LOL Tendulkar worshipping is getting predictable, tbh. He's a good batsman by all measures of the yardstick but best cricketer ever? Um probably not. I honestly doubt half the people rating him so highly have actually watched him through 2002-2007 or when he was going through a slump. And no, a criticism against him isn't a personal slight against anyone.

 
year      matches   runs scored    avg     100's     50's   
 
2002     20                  741             52.93        2        3
 
2003     21                 1141           57.05          3       8
 
2004     21                  812             40.60        1        5
 
2005     16                  412             27.47        1        2
 
2006     16                   628             44.86       2         3
 
2007      33                1425            47.50        1      13 
 
 iF thts slump thn wht he would hav done at his supreme !!!! LOL
 
 
 
Keep----------------Smiling !!!Smile


Edited by tomnjerry2 - 05 April 2011 at 12:44am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Savvy-Doppelganger-AishMinozParachute.safeplacetoland

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Greatest Cricketer Ever? (Page 6)" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

AishMinoz

IF-Sizzlerz

AishMinoz

Joined: 09 March 2010

Posts: 12574

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged
the god of cricket one n only SACHIN TENDULKAR...........
luv Virat kohli tooEmbarrassed...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

SavvyReal.MadridCutiepie Ranitomnjerry2

Cutiepie Rani

IF-Stunnerz

Cutiepie Rani

Joined: 14 June 2007

Posts: 36440

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged
uh sachin tendulkar hands down. no question!

"if cricket is a religion, sachin is the God."


Edited by Cutiepie Rani - 05 April 2011 at 6:39pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

MysticalRealmSavvyReal.Madridtomnjerry2

MysticalRealm

IF-Dazzler

MysticalRealm

Joined: 25 August 2007

Posts: 4140

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Cutiepie Rani

uh sachin tendulkar hands down. no question!

"if cricket is a religion, sachin is the God."


I COMPLETEY AGREE!!!

For the sake of human existence people please just get over this ' Sachin cant bowl or feild ' bhoot and stick it in your brain that HE IS THE BEST!!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Cutiepie Ranitomnjerry2

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Joined: 26 June 2006

Posts: 4628

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged
@bhinder.thind: You are contradicting yourself by saying stats don't tell the true story and simultaneously citing several of Tendulkar's statistics (for me to infer from, I would assume). Bradman was, as I understand it, the true Colossus of the game as he averaged 45 more runs that the players of his era. I don't think even Sachin has ever managed that over the entireity of his career.

Fact of matter is quite simple - when *I* was passionate about it and watched it, Tendulkar ranked behind Dravid + Ponting for me. It may be that he played well before and after I watched but I haven't watched enough to praise or condemn him for it. I thought I outlined that clearly.

Don't particularly find your argument regarding Tendulkar and Dravid convincing, either. SRT has the edge in ODIs (limited overs) no two ways about it but I'd easily give Dravid the edge in Test matches. I don't know how Dravid has done in the Twenty20 limited overs format as I haven't been following cricket piously so I can't comment on that. However, I have seen enough of him prior to that to know he was a rock in Test series - especially the away ones and this wasn't just towards the supposed end of his career. He'd walk in at shit scores like 3-2 and 6-2 and attempt to save face. I do view him as (slighlty more) invaluable to the team as Tendulkar and it will be a sad day when these two, along with Laxman, decide to retire.

Oh come on, Sachin has no weaknesses? That's bull, tbh. I'm willing to listen/read to what you have to say and have a healthy debate but overstatements like that are getting old, fast.

@tom-jerry: I'm sorry but posting stats out of context doesn't really argue much. Tendulkar averaged 17.25 in Tests back in 2003. That was his worst year by far. I don't really get where you are pulling an average of 57 from. If I had to guess, it would probably have been the WC ODIs that boosted his average. Same with 2006. He had an average of 24-25 in Tests and ODIs make it look better. Ironically, 2005 when he didn't flop so badly in Tests is weighed down by poor ODI performances. While it is nothing short of amazing that he has managed to turn his career around after the debacle of 2007 WC campaign, statements like oh, he's always played well aren't necessarily true IMO.

Off to watch more footie  :D


Edited by ShadowKisses - 05 April 2011 at 9:06pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

URuinedMaHeartMagixXspiritcrimsonHowlarious

Cutiepie Rani

IF-Stunnerz

Cutiepie Rani

Joined: 14 June 2007

Posts: 36440

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged
Sachin has his weaknesses just like every other cricketer! But he is the "God" of Cricket to not only me but many others out there! Some of the most well known cricketers have nothing but high praise for him! Plus his stats say a lot!

Having said that I know not everyone will agree! Everyone has their own opinion! And I'll respect that!

But for me it will always have to be Tendulkar! There was no one like him and there will never be!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

MysticalRealmSavvy

bhinder.thind

IF-Dazzler

bhinder.thind

Joined: 03 April 2010

Posts: 3977

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShadowKisses

@bhinder.thind: You are contradicting yourself by saying stats don't tell the true story and simultaneously citing several of Tendulkar's statistics (for me to infer from, I would assume). Bradman was, as I understand it, the true Colossus of the game as he averaged 45 more runs that the players of his era. I don't think even Sachin has ever managed that over the entireity of his career.B

Fact of matter is quite simple - when *I* was passionate about it and watched it, Tendulkar ranked behind Dravid + Ponting for me. It may be that he played well before and after I watched but I haven't watched enough to praise or condemn him for it. I thought I outlined that clearly.

Don't particularly find your argument regarding Tendulkar and Dravid convincing, either. SRT has the edge in ODIs (limited overs) no two ways about it but I'd easily give Dravid the edge in Test matches. I don't know how Dravid has done in the Twenty20 limited overs format as I haven't been following cricket piously so I can't comment on that. However, I have seen enough of him prior to that to know he was a rock in Test series - especially the away ones and this wasn't just towards the supposed end of his career. He'd walk in at shit scores like 3-2 and 6-2 and attempt to save face. I do view him as (slighlty more) invaluable to the team as Tendulkar and it will be a sad day when these two, along with Laxman, decide to retire.

Oh come on, Sachin has no weaknesses? That's bull, tbh. I'm willing to listen/read to what you have to say and have a healthy debate but overstatements like that are getting old, fast.


Off to watch more footie  :D

Here we go I am getting hardcore example of Confidence ..Opinion is Vital than Facts aww Really? I am not asking What you think about something? I am talking in general by keeping my one hand on pillar of stats Whereas you are using your heart rather than mind ... Go back to classes of Cricket ..Take some lessons and come to exam .. Compete with me any day and still are not gonna pass lets forget about high rank ...  Your whole debate is based on **I** .. I would say hmm lets say Rizwan Cheema is a better all Rounder than Imran Khan... can you change it? No .. this is what I think and any debate over it gonna eat time... You stick to point what you think .. If want to have Debate come up with some stats .. 

aww really? 52 test matches(104 odd innings) , 45 more average, 2 wickets, 1 format of game, No technology compare to 177 odd test matches ****Rest I mentioned In Previous Post****, Bowlers using technology, More advanced Cricket, Media Pressure, Crowd Pressure, Playing 3 format of game compare to 1, 21y years In Cricket ...... Any Comparison?? If Still you say yes, I can't help it .. Yuvraj average 90.5 In 9 world cup matches .. how about it? Average counts your Not Out status as well ... 

When I watched last match Akhtar did manage 10 whereas Brian Lara got out on 0 .. So Akhtar is a better batsman for me ... Moreover, When I watched Afridi got 4 wickets whereas Warne none... So Afridi is a better bowler .....oh really? is this the base of your debate? If this is the base, I am sorry boss its not hard enough to bear weight of statics.. 

Based on *i* statements but this one is sounding some sense to me ... Both are vital in Test cricket to India .. again does not matter what you watched .. The thing matter is what world watched ... Exactly, Would be a sad day .. Can never get 3 gem of game together In One team ... 

 I prefer you to read ... Because if i come to speak it will hard to digest and a long lecture LOL Just Joking ... The Best Player is one who goes to Ground ..Got Out ... Next day Go to Practice Session and overcome the shot he got out playing .. Listen to all greats of era, They say that He has No weakness and whenever he got out its more of his mistake rather than bowler's brilliance and thats what i have seen.... Totally oppose to Player when weakness comes front of world stop playing cricket ... aww thats silly? isn't? I can get you hundreds quotes about Sachin's dedication to his profession If your google having virus or somehow it does not work ... They show how he is the first one on the ground in sessions and last one to leave ... Thats what convert stone to fire .. I hope you get it? or i can expect another statement that "I have tried stone-stone interaction and never got fire So I don't admit it?" Debate any day, any time and any where about anything sports, politics, social, fashion whatever you prefer But but Condition is it will not be based on what you think or what you have seen ... c'mon Come out of your room lets go out and see hows weather rather than saying Its dark inside So I think it may be raining .... 

Footie?  are you talking about Australian Football?

 


Edited by bhinder.thind - 05 April 2011 at 10:21pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

MysticalRealmSavvytomnjerry2

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Joined: 26 June 2006

Posts: 4628

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 11:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bhinder.thind

Here we go I am getting hardcore example of Confidence ..Opinion is Vital than Facts aww Really? I am not asking What you think about something? I am talking in general by keeping my one hand on pillar of stats Whereas you are using your heart rather than mind ... Go back to classes of Cricket ..Take some lessons and come to exam .. Compete with me any day and still are not gonna pass lets forget about high rank ...  Your whole debate is based on **I** .. I would say hmm lets say Rizwan Cheema is a better all Rounder than Imran Khan... can you change it? No .. this is what I think and any debate over it gonna eat time... You stick to point what you think .. If want to have Debate come up with some stats .. 

aww really? 52 test matches(104 odd innings) , 45 more average, 2 wickets, 1 format of game, No technology compare to 177 odd test matches ****Rest I mentioned In Previous Post****, Bowlers using technology, More advanced Cricket, Media Pressure, Crowd Pressure, Playing 3 format of game compare to 1, 21y years In Cricket ...... Any Comparison?? If Still you say yes, I can't help it .. Yuvraj average 90.5 In 9 world cup matches .. how about it? Average counts your Not Out status as well ... 

When I watched last match Akhtar did manage 10 whereas Brian Lara got out on 0 .. So Akhtar is a better batsman for me ... Moreover, When I watched Afridi got 4 wickets whereas Warne none... So Afridi is a better bowler .....oh really? is this the base of your debate? If this is the base, I am sorry boss its not hard enough to bear weight of statics.. 

Based on *i* statements but this one is sounding some sense to me ... Both are vital in Test cricket to India .. again does not matter what you watched .. The thing matter is what world watched ... Exactly, Would be a sad day .. Can never get 3 gem of game together In One team ... 

 I prefer you to read ... Because if i come to speak it will hard to digest and a long lecture LOL Just Joking ... The Best Player is one who goes to Ground ..Got Out ... Next day Go to Practice Session and overcome the shot he got out playing .. Listen to all greats of era, They say that He has No weakness and whenever he got out its more of his mistake rather than bowler's brilliance and thats what i have seen.... Totally oppose to Player when weakness comes front of world stop playing cricket ... aww thats silly? isn't? I can get you hundreds quotes about Sachin's dedication to his profession If your google having virus or somehow it does not work ... They show how he is the first one on the ground in sessions and last one to leave ... Thats what convert stone to fire .. I hope you get it? or i can expect another statement that "I have tried stone-stone interaction and never got fire So I don't admit it?" Debate any day, any time and any where about anything sports, politics, social, fashion whatever you prefer But but Condition is it will not be based on what you think or what you have seen ... c'mon Come out of your room lets go out and see hows weather rather than saying Its dark inside So I think it may be raining .... 

Footie?  are you talking about Australian Football?

 


@bold: And yet you're trying to change or at the very least impact my opinion which I've repeatedly stated is limited. Very head against wall, no? Tongue

You're asking me to evaluate statistics and rule into Tendulkar's favour because his stats are favourable and I'm telling you that based on what I have seen - empirical evidence - rather than statistical one, he has impressed me less than the other two. How is this emotionally motivated? :S  I don't enjoy acting like the professor of an era I saw nothing of (again, this is empircal not emotional) and have nothing but statistics to tell the story.

tbh, I don't have the time to dig them up right now (maybe if I have more time over the weekend I'll come back to this and argue with a statsmonger like yourself) and even if I did, stats are up for interpretation (which is as subjective and can be manipulated) because as you rightly pointed out not out skews averages - as do minnows -  and as you earlier said, stats don't always tell the story anyways.

@green: You can easily flip the equation around though. i.e. how many times has Tendulkar played on an uncovered wicket? Or how many more runs could Bradman have made on the pitches discovered over the years? Bradman had things Tendulkar doesn't have to contend (slow wet outfields, bodyline with no helmets, etc) with just like Tendulkar has things Bradman didn't have to contend with.

LOL though, the one time I give stats to work with, you flip it on its head and tell me its useless because averages and by extension stats are skewed by other factors (such as not outs) anyways. Ha, that's contradictory to your "show me the stats because they are better than any empirical interpretation you have" approach! Tendulkar is amazing but his record is comparable to few batsmen of his era. Bradman's record relative to his peers is surreal and stuff fairy tales are made of. It is valid to base a comparison off of this because we are comparing batsmen through the ages. Mind, this is just statistics talking not "emotions" since I've never seen him play Tongue.

@italics: That shows strong work ethic, not anything else really, which is an asset but not a defining marker of the best player ever. Even Raul Gonzalez (easily my favourite in football) has amazing work ethic probably greater than anyone else could possibly have ever had but I wouldn't rate him above the likes of Zidane or Mueller when it comes to talent. He gives it his 110% on the pitch every game, is the higest goal scorer of Champions League but that doesn't inherently mean he is the best player (technical or otherwise) on the pitch.

Ah no, footie is football or as we Yanks call it - 'soccer'. Don't know if you watch it but Schalke spanked Inter pretty bad on Inter's home turf.


Edited by ShadowKisses - 06 April 2011 at 12:04am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

URuinedMaHeartMagixXruky786Howlarious

Post Reply New Post

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
my cricketer of the week - sreesanth!

2

Leo 14 2509 09 February 2008 at 5:12am
By HaUnTeDfReAk
~* Cricketer’s Childhood Pics *~ Khaya 1 6030 02 February 2008 at 12:47pm
By umi82990
DOTW-The qualities of a Real Cricketer? *Dakoo_Minzy* 6 840 06 January 2008 at 8:35pm
By *Fiza*
Favorite Cricketer Winner! umi82990 9 651 09 December 2007 at 11:17am
By Khobsurat_11
Favorite Cricketer Voting:

2

umi82990 12 845 20 November 2007 at 10:12am
By umi82990

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Sports/Cricket Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

 

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.