Debate Mansion

Bollywood confusing dilemma..

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 2:57am | IP Logged

The new Bollywood movie Girlfriend has posed a confusing dilemma. Queer activists are condemning the film for its homophobic and titillating depiction of lesbians. But those stone activists are just as outraged at rightwing religious groups who condemn Girlfriend's lesbian elements as "un-Indian." "The film has managed to infuriate everybody," Activists have had to take a much more nuanced position, condemning both the film and the protests against it.

Indeed, Girlfriend makes Basic Instinct look benign. In the three-hour movie, Sapna (Amrita Arora), a woman scared of going out with men, shares her bed with her best friend, Tanya (Isha Koppikar), a man-hating lesbian. Tanya is so obsessed with Sapna that she becomes psychotic on finding out that Sapna has been seeing a straight man, who has pretended to be gay to win her affections. When Tanya reveals "the monstrous truth" that she is gay, notes a laughing Mendonca, "the camera focuses in on her face and ominous music plays. It's a really bad film."

Homosexuality is mostly in the closet in India--Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code condemns sodomy as an "unnatural act." Shabana Azmi, one of the stars of Fire and a member of India's parliament, told The Advocate in 1998, "Gay men and lesbians are going through painful times in India right now.... The issues are only just now being articulated as a public concern." Nevertheless, vibrant gay scenes and activist groups are emerging in major cities such as Bombay......

Guys.....need views, comments....Embarrassed

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Bollywood confusing dilemma.." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 4:19am | IP Logged
no idea Confused Confused Confused

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 4:20am | IP Logged
all i'll say is that nothing is bad..it shud be presented in a proper way.. Tongue Tongue Tongue

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 6:25am | IP Logged
LOL LOL hey.....its tooo much..yaar

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 7:51am | IP Logged
I saw the movie , liked the story as it started ...........found it too cliche's as it ended ....last scene the lesbiam girl turning psychotic etc.

As you said lesbianism and homosexuality is in the closet still and there are millions of homophobic all around and whats worse are ignorant people that homosexuality is something new ....an influence of Western culture or TV and media.They don't realise homosexuality even started from the muslim rule , purdah and harem time . When one man had thousands of women . Women couldn't see other men besided her husband or the hijra . An adult woman hardly ever got her desires met . Therefore lesbianism was the obvious way out . Just like in "Fire" with Shabhana and Nandini .

No wonder lesbian is being portrayed as a psycho who gets shot in the end . Its down right pathetic!!

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 9:27am | IP Logged
I didnt see Fire( I cant stand Shabana Azmi) and I didn't watch Girlfriend(didnt know such a movie existed) LOL.
But my two pence if I may, LOL

India is a FREE country above all. So anything that restricts the basic freedom of any individual is more unindian than going to bed with woman with woman or man with man. Now whether this is a genetic thing that propels people to do it or a mental thing is still hard for me to understand. I will not go out and support it neither will I go out and oppose it.

And about introducing gay or lesbian culture into the mindsets of people that are unaware that such things happen, I mean in the day and age of the internet where people have free access to everything online censoring or banning movies isn't really going to make the cut it seems.
We'll have to think of something more original LOL

nightangel

IF-Sizzlerz

nightangel

Posted: 26 December 2005 at 3:04am | IP Logged
hav no idea about dhis movie... Confused LOL

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 26 December 2005 at 4:42am | IP Logged
wat u call for this???????????

Post Reply New Post