Posted: 27 January 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged
To:  Vineet Jain, Times of India Group

To, 

Mr. Vineet Jain, 
Managing Director, 
The Times of India group 

RE: Article in Mumbai Mirror about Onir 

Dear Vineet, 

This is an attempt to draw your immediate attention to an article that was published on 15th January 2011 in Mumbai Mirror entitled " Actor's Slur on Gay Filmmaker stirs Bollywood". We would like to express our strong objection to the slanderous, maligning, sensational, insensitive nature of the article, which is also based on a wannabe actor's allegation. If your group stands for any sort of journalistic ethics and accountability, we seek to know how such a story could be run as a cover story. We also seek a retraction of the story and an apology for all the damage and agony caused to Onir, his friends and his family. 

That the story was given a cover page status based on a wannabe actor's allegations proves how gross the violations of journalistic ethics have been. Apparently anyone can go to Mumbai Mirror and claim to have been molested and it will become cover page material. Or was this case highlighted because of Onir's sexual orientation, which was thought to be worthy of a public parade? Was the story splashed thus because he is an indie filmmaker, and not one with a lot of clout like some other filmmakers you would not ever talk about in such a fashion? What 'stir' is your reporter talking about since there was none until she created one? 

Did the Ms.Bharati Dubey ever pause to think that she was damaging a reputation built with 17 years of hard work in Mumbai? And its not a reputation built on the basis of yellow journalism, or with the help of any godfathers. Did she think of the hurt that such an article can cause to Onir, his family and friends, and his aged parents? Did Ms.Dubey and the Mumbai Mirror not realize the need to respect a person's personal space and his right to privacy and dignity? 

You will not remember it but I met you once at Onir's place, in 2001, where you'd actually dropped in to meet an actor friend. I remember noting that you were a dignified and unassuming man and I am sure I would also like to think of one of India's largest media houses as capable of dignified behaviour. I am sure you will respect the need to respect an individual's right to dignity. 

Onir's friends - in the industry, and outside, have stood by him, as has his family. In the meanwhile, TOI has carried the maligning story in multiple editions. Some other papers have picked it up and carried on the story without bothering to check the authenticity. 

We request the Times of India group and Mumbai Mirror specifically to do the needful to repair the harm done. 

Regards, 

Irene Dhar Malik 

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/ONIR/petition.html

Vedika211 Goldie
Vedika211
Vedika211

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged
I've signed the petition.
youknowme Goldie
youknowme
youknowme

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged
Gee sounds like this guy has a real problem with the fact that the accuser is a "wannabe" actor. Maybe someone should tell him that everyone---even AB---was a beginner at some time. 

The career spanning 17 years only ever begins with the first DAY of work and what kind of sadistic, self congratulationg jack-ass feels it is their "duty" to make life hell for aspirants? Grow up and act like a professional, not like some nothing who has to make someone else feel WORSE to validate your own (yawn) importance.

People with NO POWER really are the ones who need protection AND they need a VOICE and an outlet to be heard.
Kiss ass, power sucking thinking like this is a turn off.
If it can be proved that the young man was lying...I'll believe him to be wrong. If it can be proved that Onir took advantage of a beginners desire (or need since the guy may have had rent to pay) to work at his chosen profession...I'll believe something else.
Then sue the paper and demand a retraction...otherwise keep your pants zipped and don't make sex part of a job interview.

So does this guy ONLY want people who are already powerful to have an outlet for their stories?

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top