YUCK **WHATEVER ***GOOD ****SUPER *****AWESOME

Yeh kaisa dost?

Kareena Kapoor, Akshay Kumar and Bobby Deol in Dosti
Dosti *1/2
Dir:
Suneel Darshan
Cast: Akshay Kumar, Bobby Deol, Kareena Kapoor and Lara Dutta 

Kahani mein twist

Suneel Darshan returns with yet another wannabe kerchief wringer. Dosti is all about Raj (Akshay Kumar) and Karan's (Bobby Deol) eternal friendship. Poor little rich kid Karan becomes friends with stable boy, Karan.

Raj's parents (Kiran Kumar and Lilette Dubey) have no time for him and he has no pals until Raj saves him from falling to his death from a mountaintop. Then Karan takes Raj back to the city with him. They live, eat and sleep together. And they even swear to get married on the same day. 

Raj loves (Anjali) Kareena while Casanova Karan falls for Kajal (Lara). The wedding date is set till Karan's past comes back to haunt him. Lara dumps him and Raj feels inclined to cancel his wedding date, too.

Anjali is furious and gets married to Aman Verma, instead. But that's just the beginning of things to go wrong between Karan and Raj. The dosti cracks up with more twists till the tear-jerking climax.

Ekdum jhakaas

There's nothing new about the story — there is dosti, which turns into dushmani for a small while, weddings, yaar ki shaadi songs, love lost, dramatic illnesses; there's also the sister who's about to be raped and family trouble galore. It is just the kind of film you would expect from Suneel Darshan — if you've seen his last film Barsaat, you'll know what we mean.

On the plus side, the film looks glossy and has been shot well. Akshay Kumar and Bobby Deol do what they've been told to do while Kareena and Lara look glamorous. 

Kuch gadbad hain

But Suneel should've known his audience, who has progressed beyond the eighties' melodrama. The film begins with teenage Karan staying up all night holding an umbrella to protect a sleeping Raj from the rain. And Raj creeping into Karan's bedroom in the night "kyunki dil kar raha tha."

Honestly, what kind of two, normal heterosexual teenage boys behave like that? You have to keep convincing yourself that this is purely dosti and nothing more as the two leading men, instead of hanging out at bars, shooting pool or babe-watching are constantly holding hands and singing to each other.

The film also has way too many songs and not one of them is the type to get your feet to tap, or make you sing along. There's way too much rona dhona; even the men are crying bucketfuls.

No wonder in the scene where Kiran Kumar finally realises that he's been a bad father, a person from the audience yelled out, "Please rona mat." As for the script, even the Jeetendra starrers in the seventies were better penned.

Aila, yeh kya

You either drop your jaw in sheer disbelief or laugh your guts out in some scenes — picture this one: During Kareena's doli,  Karan falls on his knees in front of Raj and breaks down.

And what's with the cracking voices of the young Raj and Karan! What's wrong with Raj's doctor? Does she have only one patient? She spent hours listening to his sagas with a enthralled expression.

Kya karein kya na karein

Guys, only if you have a male friend with whom you hold hands, look deeply in the eyes and sing songs, take him for this film. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

stargirl345 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
well, i thought dosti would be a good film, but this review just changed my mind!
mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
thanks...lukin forward to watchin this film
CuteFairy91 thumbnail
Same Cant wait to watch it. Thnx for sharing. 😊
Tumhari_Khushi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I also can't wait to watch it..I love the songs!!
calichick35 thumbnail
omgggggg i watched this movie a couple of days ago! and the songs r just fabb!
but the moviee omgggggg it was soo good! i truly luved this moviee! its veryy emotional though! made me cry!
j y o t i thumbnail
i hope its worth the watch!
blue rose thumbnail
thnks!!!

i just watched the movie a couple of days ago its really good!!!
i luvvvvved it, the songs are totally awesome and its def worth watchin!!!! 👍🏼 from me!!!

ice 😛
Madiha_07 thumbnail
Thank you for sharing .. me going to see it soon 😃
girlie18 thumbnail
thnxs for sharing i av seen the movie its brilliant u shud go n watch it. it made me cry u will make u cry as well i loved it