Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai

India-Forums

Does Akshara reflect a real Indian woman?

Aussiegal Senior Member
Aussiegal
Aussiegal

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged
Hi All,

Firstly I'd like to admit that I don't reside in India and maybe that's why I sometimes find it difficult to relate to Akshara's character.

What I'd like to know is that do females like Akshara's character still exist in India? With India moving forward so quickly especially in women's lib I can't understand why STAR plus insist on portaiting a female who is so sub-servant to the her family on TV. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but with STAR promoting itself as a pro-female channel I'm confused why they take such a view in it's serials.

These shows are watched all over world and promote young women to believe its ok to take the blame for things they haven't committed. Keeping peace in the family is all very well but not at the expenses of your self-worth. Is that what this series wants to promote??

I've lived in an orthodox extended family both before and during my marriage and have never not defended myself when in the right. Its really frustrating to see women in the 21st century (espeically who are college graduates as is Akshara's character) protaited in such a manner. I give more credit to her husband's character Naitik who thinks more of Akshara's self worth then she does herself.

We can't promote the new age woman of India to be strong and assertive with such characters. This isn't a critisim to actors. I guess they are playing the role advised to themselves but come on guys..stop promoting such door-mat behaviour by your lead actors.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

looser01cherrypansymoonlight08_charu_

member11 Groupbie
member11
member11

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged
The marvadi family residing in jaipur, rich in traditions n money...my cuz is married into one... I understand the way they behave n stuff but my sis doesn't even move a leg.. they have servants to do things..she never gets tales down upon..but at the same time she can't say much either..its the elders who take preety much all the decisions.. but all in all she gets the respect n she gives the respect...this show is just too much..they blame akshara..forceher to do things that she doesn't wanna do..have millions of pujas.. akshara n naitik have to take everyone's permission even if they wanna go out on a drive or have dinner outside..akshara putting everyone ahead of her husband..that's too much..its not normal

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

f_raazcherrypansy

_charu_ IF-Sizzlerz
_charu_
_charu_

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged
i agree..there might be many many families like Singhanias..but i never came across any girl like Akshara...there r many women in our country who r so unfortunate , who r emotionally n mentally tortured by their in laws n who tolerate domestic violence for various reasons..but how many like akshara?? we're analyzing her through our perspective..in the show, she's quite happy n well adjusted..does she ever complain? no ! yes, she does it a lot of times against naitik..but according to us, her in laws r worse..toh why this partiality ? 

nowdays her only agenda is that nobody should stay naraz..the moment she learns ke koi naraz ho gaya hai toh there she goes running behind him manofying him/her and she doesn't move an inch till the time the problem is solved.naitik ki galti hai toh plz akshara ko hi maaf karke apni narazgi door karlo...nandini ki galti hai toh plz maate ko hi thode taunt karke gussa shant kar lo...last week she ran behind gayitri and yest. behind nandini..today it was bhabhi ma..haan but if naitik gets naraz then he can sit in one corner of his room and sulk..stupid him ! he doesn't understand akshara Dead

it was such a funny scene today on the dining table..guess nandini can put up her point well..she's grown up enuf to explain her POV to her parents but madam was butting in every min..like daddaji n bhabhi ma need an interpreter ! Dead maate was standing there waiting ke kab MU khatam hogi..but sadly the plan backfired n baisa naha dhokar maate ke hi peeche pad gayi...

that reminds me, why is she so weak when the question is about her needs, her self respect? 

Edited by _charu_ - 25 January 2011 at 12:10pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

f_raazmoonlight08CHIPPEDCUP

poshah Goldie
poshah
poshah

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
I think broadly the singhania family is quite closer to reality. And women like akshara, they do exist..but cannot be 100% true. Finally its a serial so they will add some masala.

It is true though in a joint family one needs to adjust and not onl akshara, i am sure gayatri, rb and all the members have to obey to the elders. That is how a joint family can be maintained if there is some decorum, if all the memerbs of the family go in difft direction there cannot be a joint familly.

If we take this nandini issue after marriage think the bhua is not wrong in all cases. It is true that elders are more experienced and knw life and things better than what akshara and naitik can.
Love is all good, but it is not easy staying with a crippled and the life style of nandini and mohit is like heaven/earth, poles apart, they cant afford a single servant. So it is not easy.
And from the loks of this, nandini is highly immature, compared to akshara, akhsara has matured so much since her marriage and yeh nandhiniii has no sense.

Back to the topic, akshara reflects may not be 100% the women of now, but say 10-20 years ago, and more so a lady going in joint family, a lot of the things in the serial are true, its a nother matter that because its a serial small issues get blown up.

The recent things that come to my mind are the hallaboo in family to make chinese, I know a lot of houses take offnese to that, naitik getting uspet on being called munna -lot of us can identify with these issues.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

_vinita_moonlight08_charu_

--Sari-- IF-Rockerz
--Sari--
--Sari--

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged
Serials always portray women as either subservient or Jhansi ki Rani. There is no in-between or normal women like one of us who see and say it as is. Fight for your rights, speak up when you see something wrong is what normal women do. However serial ke dhuniya mein the lead actors,  all they do is tyaag, tyaag and more tyaag.  They are so selfless you almost want to hit your head against the next wall you see. The vamps, just plot and plot even to the extent of killing their own sibling. How often does that happen in real life in India?

I loved Akshara's character until they portrayed her as normal girl who always felt inadequate and needed assurance over little things. They destroyed her character after she came to the Singhania's, was still tolerable until she moved back after the separation. Now she is a goddess, she takes blame for everyone, never speaks up and is all about sucking up to in-laws.

Would have been fine if she got the same respect and love from them but all she gets is more insults and accusations. She still doesn't say a word. Where is the self respect? Every person young & old have some aatma samman but not this girl. She lets everyone step all over her. I would have enjoyed watching that too if she sucked up to her husband but there is she is just a deadbeat wife. Usko koyi sukh nahi mila, naahi uska saath and that is the biggest failure in this character. Agar devi ban sakthi hai tho sati Savitri kyun hai?

Edited by FLGators - 25 January 2011 at 8:39pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

premierm8nivedarainy.days_vinita_moonlight08_charu_

f_raaz Groupbie
f_raaz
f_raaz

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
i dont know..but im also in an from a family like akshi's n here the elders make the decisions..
cherrypansy IF-Rockerz
cherrypansy
cherrypansy

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 2:13am | IP Logged

Although, I have lived out of India through out my life...but  go to India every year as my in-laws are there. I know some families who are very rich...there DILs ...may be are not include in the family decisions but they all enjoy life...eat out, go out whenever they like, have kitty parties and the list is long.........have servants to do work at home..........I don't think any girl who is graduate and from a family like Akshara will agree to kind of life which our dear akshi is living.........

Edited by piyualka - 26 January 2011 at 3:33am
_charu_ IF-Sizzlerz
_charu_
_charu_

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 3:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by piyualka

Although, I have lived out of India through out my life...but  go to India very year as my in-laws are there. I know some families who are very rich...there DILs ...may be are not include in the family decisions but they all enjoy life...eat out, go out whenever they like. have kitty parties and the list is long.........have servants to do work at home..........I don't think any girl whi is graduate and from a family like Akshara will agree to kind of life which our dear akshi is living.........

exactly ! the point is that there r many families like singhanias and many girls like Akshara but IF any such girl is given the freedom (through any medium..here it's akshara's husband) and so much love & attention , WHY wouldn't she not accept it bec. her in laws have a problem with it? 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

cherrypansymoonlight08

Go to top