Harry Potter

India-Forums

Harry Potter
Harry Potter

DH Pt 1 Nominated for 2 Oscars !! (Page 2)

chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 29 January 2011 at 4:19am | IP Logged
^^ I agree with most of what you've said there... true, Daniel isn't a great actor but I still think he does a good job... that's where we disagree each time LOL And I'm not too fond of Michael's portrayal of Dumbledore either...

reva_roy IF-Rockerz
reva_roy
reva_roy

Posted: 29 January 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chhilt

^^ I agree with most of what you've said there... true, Daniel isn't a great actor but I still think he does a good job... that's where we disagree each time LOL And I'm not too fond of Michael's portrayal of Dumbledore either...

agree with you Wink
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 29 January 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Frankly, the HP movies aren't very well-made movies. Any one who hasn't read the books will have a hard time understanding what's going on. The movies add/delete things randomly, making things incredibly inconsistent.

Coming to the technical aspect...y'know, with a franchise like HP, you at least expect some good works on cinematography, art direction, editing, music, etc, and the films fail each time. Sure they are not bad...but c'mon, they're not great either. Compare HP's visuals with that of LoTR, even PoTC  - HP is way down the line. Baring Hedwig's theme, and the slightly 'dark' lighting in Half Blood Prince, the music and cinematography aren't that great either.

And Daniel Radcliffe can't act, and I still say this. He is wooden and expressionless. The only two scenes where I thought he showed potential are in the possession scene in OoTP, and the Felix Felicis scene in HBP. Emma can act decently when it comes down to it, and she has greatly improved, but she often overdoes her part with melodramatic tones. Rupert is the only consistent one in the series. And I'm not very fond of Michael's portrayal of Dumbledore either.

The only reason why HP grosses so much is because of the hype surrounding the books, which are definitely deserving of it, but the movies are not.

I was never too fond of Daniel in the first few movies. He was too childish and wooden. I thought he only got the role because he looked the part. However, over time I've found him endearing. I think he brings a gawky awkwardness to Harry, that I don't think anyone else could bring. I liked him even more when I learned he has dyspraxia. He's done well for someone who has a motor skills disorder and I think he's used that to his advantage in portraying Harry. Emma Watson and Rupert Grint are far better actors than him, but Daniel's likable.

For a more young audience, fun, entertaining flick Harry Potter has a stellar star cast. Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson, it's pretty incredible. Alan Rickman is amazing, I just love his dialogue delivery. Huge Huge Huge fan of Evanna Lynch too.

Although its a long shot, I still think HP can pull of something close to a Return of the King. The work on Harry Potter is by no means sub par. Honestly, PoTC as a cinematic recreation did not impress me as much. Some of the bits were a bit lame. Compare HP with Transformers or other action hero movies, HP has substance - others are loud noises and explosions.

This year, my pick is Alice in Wonderland for Art direction and visual effects. Inception is a close second, but not as imaginative and creative as Alice. Tim Burton totally recreated Alice.

Anyway looking forward to 2011 Best film, Best Director and all the acting awards are really long shots. Although I do wish Alan Rickman or Evanna Lynch could bag something for support.

In terms of adapted screenplay Deathly Hallows has a glimmer. But then its competing against Warhorse, Girl with Dragon Tattoo and such likes.

Original Score or song are out of the question unless they actually hire someone to do a music video or special song for the finale. Sound Editing and Mixing maybe depending on what the others in the mix are.

There is great scope for art direction, cinematography, makeup, costume design, visual effects and all the technical good stuff. If the academy feels generous and the second part lives above and beyond the expectations set by the first one - then there is a good shot. While I hope the academy gives HP a swan song like it gave to LOTR, I doubt they will be as generous considering it would be the eighth flick made - and it has never won anything so far and  has only five nominations.

Although for next year I'm counting on the re-envisioning of Red Riding Hood to be a surprise taker with some technical awards.

Ultimately I guess Harry Potter will be lucky to have one Academy award.

BUT who cares....Twilight does not even have nominations and you can watch GoF to see Edward Cullen die. LOL Moreover Stephenie Meyer's networth isclosing 200 million...while Rowling is a billionaire and richer than the queen.

Actually, its going to be really sad seeing the last movie and knowing that its the end of an era. For what its worth, the real award always will be which movies and books make an impression and last longer with their fans.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

chhiltU-No-Poo

Beyond_the_Veil IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 31 January 2011 at 12:13am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Go to top