Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai

India-Forums

Saptapadi- Naitik Akshara- A theme went astray?

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged

Hi all,

This one is in response to a fellow reader's keen desire to understand Indian rituals and their meaning while she, ( a non Indian by birth), is wholeheartedly adopting this country as her own.Hug ( http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1596591&PID=38416738&#38416738 ) I'd as well have posted in her thread, but then an idea came- to present it for a broader range of reflection and hence an independent post.

Saptapadi, an important marriage ritual was almost a year and half old episode, but that one is always relevant. Akshara- Naitik are created as an ideal couple (at least ultimately, if not now). But their journey so far is full of bumps. So what is their (makers') idea of ideal? In absence of any model owned, we can only apply their detailed initiation- Saptapadi's seven vows to each other (along with four Feras) - as their intention. Are they true to their proclamation? Of course no one can show those archaic vows to the letter, but are they at least attempting side by side, their prime motive- the revenue/TRPs? My take is yes, even if clumsily, over and above a string of forgettable, overstretched or illogical tracks. Let us dissect in constructive manner to tell them what we want.

Episode 141 date: 27 /28 ? July 2009

step 1 to 3  http://www.india-forums.com/tv-show/480/ye-rishta-kya-kehlata-hai/video/36530-akshara-and-naitik-take-oaths.htm

Step 4 to 7  http://www.india-forums.com/tv-show/480/ye-rishta-kya-kehlata-hai/video/36531-4th-promise.htm

The original write-up is courtesy, a very discerning member on IF; username: Gardes. I have modified it to match YRKKH dialogues (not word to word).

Seven Steps

Sanskrit Vow

Vow of the Groom

Vow of the bride

Step 1

Ish ekpadi Bhava/ Ekamishe

This First step is to ensure that he feeds his family

Vow: We will share the responsibilities of the house, food and finance together.  I will cherish you and provide for your welfare and happiness.

Vow:  I promise you that I shall discharge all responsibilities for the welfare of the family and children. The vow is that all the moments of joy and struggle would be shared equally by the bride, and where ever and whatever be the condition of the husband the bride would be always there by his side. The acceptance of family is obvious here.

Step 2.

Dhve Oorjve/ Dhve Oorjve

This Second step is for his strength for the family

Vow: We shall protect the household and children.

Vow: My beloved, in your grief or joy, I shall fill your heart with strength, In your happiness, I shall rejoice. and you shall love me alone as your wife.

Step 3.

Raisyoposhai tripadi Bhava/- Threeni Vruthaya

This Third step is for the wealth for the family

Vow:  The third step is for the groW*H of prosperity and wealth, and to educate their children

Vow:  My devotion to you my beloved will be unperturbed and I will treat all other men as my brothers. Our  bond is sacred.

Step 4.

Mayobhaviyay chaturshpadi Bhava/ Chathvaari Maayo

This Fourth step is for the Happiness and peace for the family

Vow:  You have brought auspiciousness and sacredness into my life and rendered it wholesome.

Vow:   I will serve you and please you in every way.

Step 5.

Prajabh'yaha panchpadi Bhava/Pancha Pasubhyaha

This Fifth step is for the kids in the family

Vow: You have enriched my life. And my companion of the life as well as my walfare.

Vow:   Your love will make me trust and honor you. I will carry out your wishes.

Step 6.

Rutubh'yaha shastpadi Bhava/ Shadru Thubhyaha

This sixth step is for good seasons

Vow:  In the sixth step the groom promises the bride that he will fill her heart with great joy and peace, time and time again.

Vow: My beloved, in all acts of righteousness, in material prosperity and in every form of enjoyment and divine acts, I promise you that I shall participate and shall always be with you.

Step 7.

Sakha Saptapadi Bhava/ Sapth Sapthabhyaha

This seventh step is for the divine bond of friendship between the husband and wife

Vow:  This is the last and final step. Here the groom tells his bride that as you have walked seven steps with me you have made our love and friendship firm and inseparable. Now you have become mine and I offer my total self to you. May our marriage successfully last for ever...in this life as well as many more yet to follow

Vow:   My Husband, as per the law of God and the Holy scriptures [Vedas] I have become your spouse. Whatever promises we gave, we have spoken with pure mind. We will be truthful to each other in all things. We will love each other for ever...in this life and many more yet to follow

The topic is off date and mood here is light, nevertheless, do drop your thoughts on a bit serious topic. We'll revert back to happy banters and pounce on the Cvs for their idiosyncrasies. Smile

Edited by smrth - 24 January 2011 at 11:26pm

The following 17 member(s) liked the above post:

rash1979paulsibilasiya16Rachu.mMadhavi_Di_deepshi_-renu-gardes_vinita_moonlight08milinda.shreyzApoorva_22-.Shriya.-Serendipity..pree4ru..Akaisha.._Divya_

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged

Saptapadi as an important ritual may have wide interpretation. In many communities they are altogether absent. I myself don't grasp its full implication but its far reaching comprehensiveness has been fascinating. It's an outline to achieve a happy union balancing family, reproduction and above all a true bond of friendship between two wedded persons. Its relevance varies from urbane nuclear family to conservative joint families. And likewise some of its points affects people differently; from obsolete (even regressive in patriarchal system- for some?) to meaningful. Our main grouse, Akshara's neglect of her husband- even illogical sometimes, at her own expense- in preference to other family members- periphery preceding the core- is a struggle to discharge those assumed duties to her family, unfortunately in conflict with her primary vow, camaraderie and companionship with her husband. But she is growing (along with the creatives). In the present track they are not shown in discord. The generation-gap conflict is very much real. As well as overbearing 'intrusion' of the elder's expectation in matters of reproduction. Let us hope they will tackle these conflicting issues in true comradeship of a marriage as prescribed in Saptapadi vows.( Crossing the fingers- in tomorrow's episode they present a united front against Baisa's tyranny, Akshara not buckling and defecting at the crucial moment!)

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

siya16Rachu.mMadhavi_Di_vinita_gardesApoorva_22moonlight08Serendipity..

Serendipity.. IF-Sizzlerz
Serendipity..
Serendipity..

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged
Whoaaaa.... Thts an awesome explanation.... Thumbs Up
Thank u smrth for the thread ....Clap

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

smrth

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged
Sia.K_1

Thanks a lot....but won't you favour with your take? Thumbs Up

Serendipity..

Serendipity.. IF-Sizzlerz
Serendipity..
Serendipity..

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged
^^ Im very bad at all this ....LOL..I'll try if u say soTongue 

Edited by sia.k_1 - 24 January 2011 at 1:00pm

smrth

gardes IF-Dazzler
gardes
gardes

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
Thanks, Smrth, for taking time out to simplify Saptapadi.  I love the side-by-side view of the Saptapadi, a breakdown of vows by gender.

I am not a religious person by any means yet Saptapadi to me means one of the most important and comprehensive of all agreements between a husband and wife in a marriage (yet it is also one of the hardest to follow as a couple settles into wedded "bliss").  It is as powerful and relevant in this day and age, as it did millenia ago when first written. 

I will watch the episodes you have mentioned and will come back with my thoughts later.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

smrth_vinita_moonlight08Serendipity..

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by gardes

Thanks, Smrth, for taking time out to simplify Saptapadi.  I love the side-by-side view of the Saptapadi, a breakdown of vows by gender.

I am not a religious person by any means yet Saptapadi to me means one of the most important and comprehensive of all agreements between a husband and wife in a marriage (yet it is also one of the hardest to follow as a couple settles into wedded "bliss").  It is as powerful and relevant in this day and age, as it did millenia ago when first written. 

I will watch the episodes you have mentioned and will come back with my thoughts later.

Gardes

That'd be a favour, I'll be eagerly looking forwards to- your views and some interesting expounding.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

gardesmoonlight08

Polki_Zofi Senior Member
Polki_Zofi
Polki_Zofi

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged
Thank you so much smrth! I am quite interested to learn more about India. However, are these rituals same from this entire country or just for some of its parts?

By the way I am not only non-Indian by birth but by all means and ethnicity aswell. I am a Polish origionaly belong to Lodz (one of the largest cities in Poland). We in Lodz have one of the better universities of Poland, and not many Indians though. It is not very known I think. Poland is situated near the center of Europe but on the Eastern block. It borders with Germany on the west and on the East with other Eastern European countries, also other Slavic countries like Ukraine (I am a Slav... you know what it is?). I would not be surprised if I am in only one among all my lineage or blood line to have stepped into India LOL, quite something eh? LOL

So warm of you to give me such a thorough information. I will copy it WinkSmile

Recently my sister in law's marriage have been arranged with some Doctor in Medicine in Mumbai. So I guess she would be in the city of bollywood LOL. I've already tried wearing the saree (I need to say its quite a complicated thing, but very nice though Wink ... one can really look quite good it). Love the many jewelries but personally I love silver which seems to be missing in the taste of Indian women (who definitely love gold as it seems Wink).

Really none were cold, all are warm. Many colors indeed ... and then the many occasions itself coming forward in the family here aswell is quite an excitement WinkSmile.

Not to mention the very nice feeling when someone really gives something to you of dynastic importance. It makes you feel much loved and relied upon. Recently, very recently my mother in law did something just that which really touched me. Quite interesting how she put something on my hand and trusted me with it, to pass it on to another generation. It makes some difference, it really does.

I wish I could come India earlier, but for reasons we couldn't come India immediately after we wedded back in Poland. But seems like its all good in its right times ... Wink

Thank you again smrth ... Hug ... you guys r awesome Thumbs Up

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

siya16smrth_vinita_moonlight08

Go to top