Wedding rituals-come join

misty85 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Hi people.

As most of us don't know exactly about the north Indian wedding rituals I would like to enumerate them here. I would also like if others also share their opinion here. Anyone who feels that this is incorrect or something different can add on. Well I want to make it clear that I'm not a punjabi but definitely a north Indian.

First from girl's side.

Haldi & mehndi is put a night before wedding alongwith the sangeet (in my place it's called 'banni'). Banni's are sung a few days before the marriage as well as on the mehndi night.

Haldi is put with grass (If you see SBB of Maryada that's the correct way to put haldi  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-q5QXu-NnI).

A churi (bangle) rasam is also there in which green churis are put in the hands of the bride after which she can't go outside the house. (don't know whether it happens before Haldi or during it.)

Mehndi is sent from the groom's side. All the night she has to put mehndi. In the morning there are some rituals after which girls has to be on fast.

In the evening ... on shaadi venue..

Darwaja rasm (door) + Milni (meeting the baaraties)

Groom is welcomed by mum of the bride & other women. Pandit does some small puja. On the either side of the door 2 drum type utensils are kept (don't know the purpose) ...haahaa... it's funny.😆

Ok. Then len-den(giving & taking) (mostly it's giving from girl's side) of money & gifts including clothes & all takes place.

After this jaymala takes place. Happens around 7-8 pm. Times are changing & so are the trends. Usually the sari which bride wears during jaymala has to be given to the nanad (sister in law) & the bride has to wear something else for pheras. But now bride wears same dress all the time.

After jaymala photo session & milni (meeting) of the relatives of both the sides to dulha dulhan.

Then wedding dinner... There is special rasm for the groom & the bride after which they eat in the same plate. Happens around 9-11 pm, somtimes till 12 am depending on the wedding mahurat.

All the baaraties & guests leave.

Actual wedding mantras start. Till kanyadan both the families of groom & bride witness rituals. Pheras are not to be witnessed by the family of bride. It's considered inauspicious.

Wedding completion.

Both Bride & Groom has to do a puja.

Bride has to throw wheat grains (in some communities they throw rise). (don't remember the name of the rasam).

Patta pher rasam where Bride & Groom take a round of the wedding venue, come back to the mandap.

Then brother of the bride has to lift her into her arms & make her sit in the Doli/car. The rest of the relatives throw coins on the car. 

Bride has to come back for pag-pheras as per the mahurat announced by pandit.

Now from Groom's side.

Haldi rasam is same.

Ghur chdi (horse riding) + starting of Baraat procession.

Rest is same.

After wedding rest of the rituals take place at Groom's house.

Wedding reception is hosted after a day or so.

Plz press the like button if you like the post.

Edited by misty85 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

misty85 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
no one wants to join.......