India-Forums

Chaand Chupa Badal Mein
Chaand Chupa Badal Mein

Viren the Anti-hero not Villain

salunie Groupbie
salunie
salunie

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged

The article "Viren's devious plan revealed" is a contradiction in itself. They use the word "devious" to present him as the Devil and write about Viren's marriage to Nivi is just for "personal gain". Then someone calls him an "anti-hero". An anti-hero is usually someone who is not the-everyday-hero meaning that he helps others for his own benefits rather than for 'world peace'. Someone who is not a selfless person but at the same time does not do evil things because he takes pleasure in them.

I'd say most of us human beings fall into this category, we are not totally selfless but at the same time we don't think evil for others who have not done anything harmful to us.

MOST probably Viren falls into this category as well. This is one major reason why even after knowing he's the stalker; most of the posts are attempts to justify his wrongdoings. He is a character that the viewers can identify with, that is why we can think of reasons to defend him. At times, the audience is irritated by characters that have a gold medal in sacrificing (like Nivi or Sid); this is mainly because we cannot identify with such selfless people.

Coming back to Viren and his master plan for revenge, nothing can be said accurately as of now, because we are still unknown to the exact reasons for his revenge. Repeatedly, we regard him as a psycho, but we are still not too sure how true this is. Yes, he has done things which are unpardonable like using Nivi for the sole purpose of getting back at Sid, then the DS incident which could have been fatal and the kitchen-fire incident. In the coming episodes, we'll be seeing flashback of Nivi-Sid-Viren's childhood which will perhaps make us judge how "right" Viren's way of taking revenge is. Yet I'm sure that whatever happened in the past is probably due to unlucky circumstances rather than Sid or Nivi's faults.

I just hope that Viren did not marry Nivi, for just taking revenge on Sid. I'm a bit doubtful about that since he confessed his love to Nivi before knowing about Sid and Nivi's love story but at the same time he crushed that feather and has been giving wicked looks in recent episodes. Could it be true that the only reason Viren defends Nivi, is to make sure people think that Sid is at fault rather than thinking that Nivi is hallucinating? Or does he stand by her because he truly loves her?

Perplexing yet interesting storyline…

Sorry for such a long post yet I needed to express my thoughts. Would love to have your comments on it :)

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

shubabegumpeacefulblossomAnamikaSJainOmshanti1111

Omshanti1111 IF-Sizzlerz
Omshanti1111
Omshanti1111

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged

There is a subtle difference between villain and anti-hero. Anti-hero has hero like qualities, but he uses that for all wrong reasons and in all wrong ways.

Like the movie Dhoom 1, John Abraham had similar qualities as Abhishek Bachchan, one was hero another antihero, as John used all this talent for a wrong cause. In Ramayan, Ravan is more an anti-hero than a Villain. In Mahabharata, Karna is a tragic example, he was a great "daani", a great warrior, but he chose a wrong company and sided with "adharm" and became part of heinous crimes like "Draupadi's vastraharan" and "Killing of Abhimanyu".
salunie Groupbie
salunie
salunie

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Omshanti1111

There is a subtle difference between villain and anti-hero. Anti-hero has hero like qualities, but he uses that for all wrong reasons and in all wrong ways.

Like the movie Dhoom 1, John Abraham had similar qualities as Abhishek Bachchan, one was hero another antihero, as John used all this talent for a wrong cause. In Ramayan, Ravan is more an anti-hero than a Villain. In Mahabharata, Karna is a tragic example, he was a great "daani", a great warrior, but he chose a wrong company and sided with "adharm" and became part of heinous crimes like "Draupadi's vastraharan" and "Killing of Abhimanyu".
Thanks for all the examples of anti-heros and I agree that most of them(apart from John Abraham's character in Dhoom 1) were good at heart but took a wrong turn which made them  look like villains.

However, I disgree with your definition of anti-hero. I don't think that they use their hero-like qualities for "all wrong reasons" They are usually someone who are not selfless and believe in the theory of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" I don't think anti-heros want to create chaos in lives of people who have done nothing against them.  Abraham's character in Dhoom 1 was to disrupt world peace and posess wealth. He was a true villian despite the fact that he was talented. And think about it, villians have to be talented and manipulative to gain what they want.

Edited by salunie - 20 January 2011 at 11:29am

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top