Mythological Masti

India-Forums

Mythological Masti
Mythological Masti

- BR Chopra's Perfect Paradise #1 - (Page 10)

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Addictz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged

Content Removed

Rehanism IF-Dazzler
Rehanism
Rehanism

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged
Obviously you haven't hurt my feelings any way. But actually I liked these ordinary saas-bahu fights, jealousy between wives, desire for admiration from the "man with ancient eyes" - I found them quite human unlike the ideal situations where these characters are presented as perfect and obedient and selfless people. However the Karna-Draupadi affair was stretched a bit, as though that was the main theme. But I liked Krishna very much. His subtlety, his philosophy wrapped in little quips, his walk on a thin line separating Divinity from Humanity - that is how I have personally imagined Krishna to be.

But as I said if you look for authenticity, or if you look at it as the Epic Mahabharat, obviously its unimpressive. Because Mahabharat is largely the tale of the Males of the society, written from the point of view of the men. We can't expect to get the same product if things are told from the POV of a female and that also somebody who's not directly present in 70% of the epic.

But please give me the names of some more novels if you can. It would be really a favour. I mainly download them in PDF format. I hate reading books as such.
Rehanism IF-Dazzler
Rehanism
Rehanism

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged

Content Removed

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged

Content Removed

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Darklord_Rehan

Obviously you haven't hurt my feelings any way. But actually I liked these ordinary saas-bahu fights, jealousy between wives, desire for admiration from the "man with ancient eyes" - I found them quite human unlike the ideal situations where these characters are presented as perfect and obedient and selfless people. However the Karna-Draupadi affair was stretched a bit, as though that was the main theme. But I liked Krishna very much. His subtlety, his philosophy wrapped in little quips, his walk on a thin line separating Divinity from Humanity - that is how I have personally imagined Krishna to be.

But as I said if you look for authenticity, or if you look at it as the Epic Mahabharat, obviously its unimpressive. Because Mahabharat is largely the tale of the Males of the society, written from the point of view of the men. We can't expect to get the same product if things are told from the POV of a female and that also somebody who's not directly present in 70% of the epic.

But please give me the names of some more novels if you can. It would be really a favour. I mainly download them in PDF format. I hate reading books as such.

See, I would not have minded these saas-bahu fights had they been more subtle. It kind of gets annoying when books, movies, and/or serials take them to another level and make it seem like all MILs and DILs are like that with each other. My cousins love their mothers-in-law, my aunts love their daughters-in-law, etc, and we also have to keep in mind that for us, fights and all are realistic because we live in the Kali Yuga, and though the people of Dwapar Yuga had more faults than the people of Treta Yuga, there were a LOT more ideal than people are now. DILs respected their MILs and learned to love them like their mothers, and MILs considered DILs like their real daughters and treated them with genuine affection. Of course, conflicts still existed as is evidenced by the Mahabharata, but we cannot attribute our Kali Yug faults to Dwapar Yuga and call that realistic. The problem with 'Palace of Illusions' is that it did not seem like a story of the Dwapar Yuga, but Kali Yuga. Where in the Mahabharata did it say that Kunti and Draupadi were constant rivals and hated each other? I cannot stand those kinds of embellishments because they totally destroy the characters.

One more thing, the beginning of Kali Yuga too was a lot more ideal than now, because my grandfather used to tell us a lot of stories about the kind of lifestyle he used to lead when he was a kid, and it was very strict and idealistic. Also, if you think about the great historical figures in our history, like Chanakya, Prithviraj Chauhan, Anand Math, etc, they were very ideal too compared to the political figures now....so saying the Palace of Illusions is like Mahabharata during Kali Yuga is wrong. It was like the Mahabharata during the 21st century.LOL

Krishna's character in PoL was not that bad, but sometimes he did not seem serious enough, and though Shri Krishna in reality was the joking type, he also had his serious moments. But you're right, PoL's philosophical moments were great.Clap

My problem is not that of the POV being of a female, I've read another story through Draupadi's POV and it was very much authentic to the events and characterization of Mahabharata...it seemed just like reading the Mahabharata through Draupadi's eyes, and there was another one with Kunti. I don't remember the exact titles, but I'll hunt them up and give them to you when I find them.

Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 16 April 2011 at 4:20pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanism

Rehanism IF-Dazzler
Rehanism
Rehanism

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged
@Lalitha - You ask why Ram violated His Maryada if Bali vadh wasn't a sin. Because there is difference between Maryada and Dharma. Obeying Maryada means obeying the norms, codes and customs. Shri Ram never disregarded norms and traditions of the society even if it required Him to banish His innocent wife. Bali Vadh was the only occasion in which He overlooked His code of conduct for the sake of Dharma.

Krishna, however, was different as was His interpretation of Dharma. Krishna says that Dharma has got nothing to do with religion, traditions or laws laid down by the texts. According to Krishna, Dharma meant absolute Righteousness whether it goes in line with the norms and traditions or not. Krishna Himself broke countless norms, traditions and beliefs - which Shri Ram would never do. Unlike Ram, Krishna was ready to sacrifice any law, any code, any tradition for the sake of justice. He would never allow an innocent to suffer banishment or ask a sinless lady to undergo Agnipariksha. While Shri Ram abandoned his own wife, because people doubted her character for spending a long time in Ravan's captivity, Shri Krishna accepted 16,100 prisoners of Narakasura as his wives without caring for what others would say, once again violating the prevalent customs, just for the sake of their honour. Please don't think that I am blaming Ram of anything, but we need to understand the difference between Ram's Maryada and Krishna's Dharma. Krishna would, if required, go against the society, argue with the Brahmins, shun the kings and establish righteousness.

So as per Krishna's interpretation of Dharma, Bali Vadh was perfectly justified and He need not have died at the hand of Bali to be his quits. But if we consider Maryada Purushottam Ram's code of conduct, then He did break his Maryada on that one occasion. Please note, I am not saying Ram broke Dharma, but Ram did break His Maryada. That is why He bound himself in the Karma-Chakra and repaid His debt of that Maryada-Ulanghan. Thus we see Dharma and Maryada need not go hand in hand. There comes times when we have to choose between the two.

PS : I know the reason behind the Agnipariksha. But still I can not support Ram on these few occasions regarding His treatment of Sita, because it sets a wrong examples for the believers of justice. Ram was Lord Himself, so whatever He does is considered right. But imagine if an ordinary mortal follows this example and orders his wife to walk on fire or disowns her! Would that be Dharma? On such situations I look up to Shri Krishna, His actions and His words for guidance.

Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 07 May 2011 at 3:34pm
Rehanism IF-Dazzler
Rehanism
Rehanism

Posted: 16 April 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged
Hey Guys I have few queries regarding Mahabharat.

1. First one is regarding Shakuni. Shakuni was born to King Subala of Gandhara. His sister Gandhari was married to king Dhritarashtra. As per legend, on the advice of astrologers, to avert a calamity it was said that Gandhari was married to a goat before getting married to Dhritarashtra. And the goat had been sacrificed promptly thereafter. Technically, this made Gandhari a widow and Dhritarashtra her second husband. Many years later when her husband Dhritarashtra learns about this truth, shocked and enraged, Dhritrashtra puts Gandhari's entire family,including king Subala in prison. In prison, they were served just one fistful of rice every day. Realizing that this was an elaborate plan to starve them to death, Gandhari's father declared that none but his youngest son would eat the sparse food being served, so that at least one amongst them would survive to avenge the death of the rest. The youngest son of king Subala was Shakuni. He survived and swore not to rest until all of Kuru kingdom is destroyed . He used the bones of his father to make the dice with which he was able to defeat the Pandavas in the gambling match, and thus which eventually led to the war at Kurukshetra and also to the destruction of entire Kuru clan.His father twisted his one leg to give him a permanent limp as a constant reminder of revenge (source Wikipedia). Is this story true?

2. In BR Chopra's Mahabharat it was shown Ghatotkach enters the battle on the 14th day while many argue that he was present from day one. However among the rules of war laid down, it was clearly mentioned that the war would be fought among humans. Under no circumstance should humans attack non-human beings or use/direct/order non-human beings to attack humans. Obviously Ghatotkach can not be classified as a human being. Can he? Then that means the law was violated from day one itself?

3. Normally we believe that the code of war was first broken by Pandavas during Bhishma-Vadh. But I recently fathomed that Bhishma himself was the first one to break the law. On the 10th day when he was unable to attack Arjuna due to Shikhandi's presence, Bhishma directed his arrows at the ordinary foot soldiers and blew them up with his deadly astras. It was a rule that only equals shall fight. Maharathis should fight with Maharathis and ordinary infantry should fight with ordinary infantry. This thing was clearly shown in BRC Mahabharat, but it clicked me only when I was reading The Palace of Illusions. How far do you agree with me?

Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 17 April 2011 at 8:46pm
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 18 April 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged
@Rehan,

First off, I generally don't take wikipedia as a source for anything, but I too have heard this story, not from wiki but from another book. I don't know how true it is, as I have not read Veda Vyasa's MB in full, so someone else will have to shed light on that, but it's an interesting story nonetheless, and kind of makes us sympathize with Shakuni. But it also casts Dhritarastra's family in a terrible light...when this happened, Pandu would be King and I don't think he would let something like that happen to his Bhabhi's family. Pandu was a Dharmatma, so he would never let something that unjust happen to Gandhari's family for no wrong of theirs.

As per my understanding, Ghatotkach was not in the battle from day one. Bhima summoned him when they were losing warriors, and that too towards the end around day 14, but I've read english translations that have him from day one, so someone will have to consult the MB book to be sure.

The first code of war was not broken with Bhishma Vadh (because he let himself die by laying down arms in front of Shikhandi), but Dronacharya Vadh, and the gruesome way in which Dhristadyumna killed him. But you're right, we hear that Bhishma killed 1000s of foot soldiers during the battles, so do they count? No one really mentions them as breaking any codes, but it makes sense.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanism

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index