You're most welcome here, Radha.🤗
radt thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
Thanks Aradhna!
Thanks Janu di!
🤗
Can we start some discussion here?
Something say beginning wid Bishma Pratigya!??????
One vow ........ and so many consequences!
Hindu Mytho is ultimate!
😳
DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Yes dear, you are always welcomed to start a new discussion like that 😊
We will enjoy.
Edited by Urmila11 - 13 years ago
radt thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posting an excerpt from wiki!

Bhishma means He of the terrible oath, referring to his vow of life-long celibacy. Originally named Devavratha, he became known as Bhishma after he took the bhishana pratigya ('terrible oath') ' the vow of life-long celibacy and of service to whoever sat on the throne of his father (the throne of Hastinapur). He took this oath so that his father, Shantanu could marry a fisherwoman Satyavati ' Satyvati's father had refused to give his daughter's hand to Shantanu on the grounds that his daughter's children would never be rulers as Shantanu already had a son(Devratha). This made Shantanu despondent and upon discovering the reason for his father's despondency, Devavratha sought out the girl's father and promised him that he would never stake a claim to the throne, implying that the child born to Shantanu and Satyavati would become the ruler after Shantanu. At this, Satyavati's father retorted that even if Devavratha gave up his claim to the throne, his (Devavratha's) children would still claim the throne. Devavratha then took the terrible vow of life-long celibacy, thus sacrificing his 'crown-prince' title and denying himself the pleasures of conjugal love. This gave him immediate recognition among the gods and his father granted him the boon of Sweccha Mrityu (control over his own death ' he could choose the time of his death, but he was not immortal).

Bhishma was a great archer and a warrior. In the process of finding a bride for his half-brother the young king Vichitravirya, Bhishma cleverly abducted princesses Amba, Ambika andAmbalika of Kashi (Varanasi) from the assemblage of suitors at their swayamvara. Salwa, the ruler of Saubala, and Amba (the eldest princess) were in love. Upon reaching Hastinapura, Amba confided in Bhishma that she wished to wed Salwa. Bhishma then sent her back to Salwa who turned her down as it was humiliating for a man to accept a woman who had been so long in the company of another man. She then naturally approached Bhishma for marriage who refused her, citing his oath. Amba, humiliated and enraged beyond measure, vowed to avenge herself against Bhishma even if it meant being reborn over and over again.

Legend has it that at her maternal grandfather's suggestion Amba sought refuge with Parasurama who ordered Bhishma to marry Amba. Bhishma politely refused saying that he was ready to give up his life at the command of his teacher but not the promise that he had made. Upon the refusal, Parasurama called him for a fight at Kurukshetra. At the battlegrounds, while Bhishma was on a chariot, Parasurama was on foot. Bhishma requested Parasurama to also take a chariot and armor so that Bhishma would not have an unfair advantage. Parasurama blessed Bhishma with the power of divine vision and asked him to look again. When Bhishma looked at his guru with the divine eyesight, he saw the Earth as Parasurama's chariot, the four Vedas as the horses, the Upanishads as the reins, Vayu (wind) as the Charioteer and the Vedic goddesses Gayatri, Savitri & Saraswati as the armor. Bhishma got down from the chariot and sought the blessings of Parasurama to protect his dharma, along with the permission to battle against his teacher. Parasurama was pleased and said to Bhishma that if he had not behaved in this manner, Parasurama would have cursed him, for it is the duty of warriors who fight against elders to not abandon the traditions of humility and respect for elders. Parasurama blessed him and advised him to protect his dharma of brahmacharya as Parasurama himself must fight to fulfil his dharma of fighting to uphold his word as given to Amba. They fought for 23 days without conclusion ' Parasurama was chiranjeevi (immortal) and Bhishma had a boon that let him choose the time of his death. Two versions exist about how their battle came to an end.

As per one, On the 22nd night, Bhishma prayed to his ancestors to help him end the battle. His ancestors gave him a weapon which was not known to Parasurama. They told him that it would put Parasurama to sleep in the battlefield. A person who sleeps in the battlefield is considered to be dead as per Vedas. They advised Bhishma to call back the weapon at the end of day after sunset so that Parasurama will come back to his sense and that shall bring the end to war. However the weapon was never used as Parasurama walked out of the war.

Amba, her predicament unchanged, committed suicide with the vow that in the next birth she would be responsible for Bhishma's death; she was born as Shikhandi.

Also...... here is a detailed chapter...

How many of you think the vow was a blunder?
It turned out to be a curse!
A kid sacrifising for a father who wants to marry a second time at his age.... He kept quiet.... but it turned out to be a curse for all the generations to follow!
And his father's so-called boon in return?
Did it not prove to be a bane?

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@Radha

Great to find out the interest of yours in such discussions! What a coincidence!! A parallel thread is currently going on for exactly the same topic covering broadly many such vows in both the epics and the very recent discussions in recent pages are about just this very vow of Bhishma. Have a look at this and its later pages and just go ahead and post your views directly over there.

@Janu

Krishna of Makhanchori leela is Shampa. But teenage Krishna is Keval Shah. Also Debipriya brought to my notice and day before yesterday only I saw Gurukul episodes and found Sumit Raghvan (current TV actor) playing role of teenage Sudama. 

And in SK, it is not the toddler Krishna of mud eating leela who is believed to be girl. It is Makhanchori-Fruitseller incident-Gopi vastraharan Krishna who is believed to be girl child actor.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: ShivangBuch

@Radha

Great to find out the interest of yours in such discussions! What a coincidence!! A parallel thread is currently going on for exactly the same topic covering broadly many such vows in both the epics and the very recent discussions in recent pages are about just this very vow of Bhishma. Have a look at this and its later pages and just go ahead and post your views directly over there.

@Janu

Krishna of Makhanchori leela is Shampa. But teenage Krishna is Keval Shah. Also Debipriya brought to my notice and day before yesterday only I saw Gurukul episodes and found Sumit Raghvan (current TV actor) playing role of teenage Sudama. 

And in SK, it is not the toddler Krishna of mud eating leela who is believed to be girl. It is Makhanchori-Fruitseller incident-Gopi vastraharan Krishna who is believed to be girl child actor.

Yes Shampa Gopikrishna was makhanchor and danced on Kaaliya. She was recently on TV in Jhalak Dikhlaja as choreographer. Her father teaches kathak.
Yes the one before Ashok Balakrishna is a girl..confirmed by Damini ji(Yashoda maiyya)
Sumeet Raghavan is now doing a serial called Sajan re jhooth mat bolo on SabTv.
I only want to know the name of baby krishna in SK..the one who killed Putna,other demons and was welcomed by Shivji⭐️
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aradhana87

Yes the one before Ashok Balakrishna is a girl..confirmed by Damini ji(Yashoda maiyya)
Sumeet Raghavan is now doing a serial called Sajan re jhooth mat bolo on SabTv.
I only want to know the name of baby krishna in SK..the one who killed Putna,other demons and was welcomed by Shivji⭐️

In short, you want to know the name of the one in your profile picture and I want to know the name of the one in my profile picture.😆 Didn't she tell you the name of that girl playing boy while confirming? Anyway, we can continue this part of the discussion in RS PP.
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: ShivangBuch

In short, you want to know the name of the one in your profile picture and I want to know the name of the one in my profile picture.😆 Didn't she tell you the name of that girl playing boy while confirming? Anyway, we can continue this part of the discussion in RS PP.

Yes I want to know both names😆No she didnt remember any names..she also forgot Shwetas name😳
Yes lets contine at RS PP
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Hey Guys,

Lately, I have been noting down the lyrics of some small dohas and songs from the Sagars' shows (mostly AS Ramayan because the Hindi is easier than RSR or SK😆), so I decided to give it a try for Mahabharat also.

Lola corrected a lot of mistakes I made while noting down the words, so major credit (also for the translations) goes to her.😃

I obviously don't have to explain to everyone here when this occured, but for newcomers...this doha takes place after Draupadi rips a piece of her veil to bandage Krishna's finger and he promises to repay her when she most needs it.

Diya Dand Shri Krishna Ne - Krishna dealt punishment
Kiya Khand Abhimaan - and destroyed sinful pride.
Aanchal Cheere Draupadi - By ripping a piece of her veil, Draupadi
Baandh Rahi Bhagwaan - binds the lord himself.
Premaanchal Mein Bandh Gaye - Having been bound by her love
Diya Vachan Phir Aap - he himself made a promise.
Is Rinn Ke Bhugtaan Ko - The value of this debt's repayment
Jag Na Sakega Maap - is one the whole world won't be able to measure.

I just LOVE the tune that BRC uses for these dohas, soooo divine!😍

Jai Shri Krishna!
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 13 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

|| Pic Update ||

At Duryodhan's behest, Sage Durvasa comes to the Pandavas' cottage during their exile and demands to be fed along with all his many disciples. The Pandavas have just finished eating and even Draupadi has eaten from the divine vessel, so there is no food left and not enough time to cook more. Fearing of Durvasa's famous anger, Draupadi prays to Lord Krishna for help and he just then appears in their hut, professing hunger himself. She guiltily admits that there is no food left and Krishna tells her not to lie. He has just spotted a small morsel of food left at the bottom of the vessel and places it in his mouth. Immediately, Durvasa and his disciples feel so full that they know they cannot possibly eat more. Fearing of Yudhisthira's displeasure, they quickly leave the place lest he curse them for making Draupadi cook more food unnecessarily. And so, Krishna yet again displays love and affection to his devotees who think only of him whenever they are in trouble.

|| Jai Shri Krishna ||