Mythological Masti

{> Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan & Shri Krishna AT#1 <} (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 153

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 3:45am | IP Logged
I also had the same doubt....what does Dau mean? Is it a nickname for Balram? Reason I'm asking is....I never heard it in South Indian mytho films.Embarrassed

Another question....remember the scene after Bakasur and Aghasur's Vadh, where Krishna's frineds all hail him? In my DVD, the subtitle they give for that is "elephants, horses, palanquins, hail Krishna!" and that makes no sense!ConfusedLOL My question is....what is the correct translation for that, and what does it mean?

The subtitles really suck sometimes.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

arun-deeps

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "{> Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan & Shri Krishna AT#1 <} (Page 7)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

I also had the same doubt....what does Dau mean? Is it a nickname for Balram? Reason I'm asking is....I never heard it in South Indian mytho films.Embarrassed

Another question....remember the scene after Bakasur and Aghasur's Vadh, where Krishna's frineds all hail him? In my DVD, the subtitle they give for that is "elephants, horses, palanquins, hail Krishna!" and that makes no sense!ConfusedLOL My question is....what is the correct translation for that, and what does it mean?

The subtitles really suck sometimes.

It is a folk song line - Nand gher aanand bhayo jay Kanhaiyalal ki (this line is there in the serial - Nand mahotsav song). Second line is Brahman ko daan diyo, Hathi, ghoda, paalki. The line indicates the charity by Nandbaba to Brahmins (due to Krishna's birth/naming/victory related festivals) of elephants, horses and paalki (hand carried vehicle like that of Sudama's friend Chakradhar in SK and of Keikei-Mandvi visiting Nandigram - similar to Doli). Actually over here, they shouldn't have translated at all because that part of the line (half of the line) had no independent meaning.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 26 January 2011 at 4:18am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Urmila11arun-deepsVishakha_Sakhi..RamKiJanaki..

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by arun-deeps

Originally posted by Vedo

I'm watching RS's Shri Krishna right now and I have a quick question: Is 'elder cousin' the correct english translation of 'Dau Bhaiyya'?

To me it seems weird (and wrong) that Krishna would refer to Balaram as 'elder cousin' when in fact he's the elder brother. Confused

Dau is a nickname for Balramji...it does not means elder cousing...who says it means so??Shocked  Like Krishna is accoasted as Kanhaiya...in d same way Baldau/Balramji is accoasted as 'Daau'...thre's nothing like cousin here to be confused W*HShocked

Thanks for the clarification Gunu. Actually the confusion is because of the subtitles. Whenever Krishna refers to Balaram as 'Dau Bhaiyya' it is translated as 'elder cousin', so thats why. Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBucharun-deeps..RamKiJanaki..

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged

Originally posted by ShivangBuch

And if the meaning of Dau is really cousin as per subtitles, then it is fine because Balram was real brother in a sense (Devaki's 7th child), step brother in another sense (Rohini's son) and cousin in yet another sense (Krishna being Yashoda's son as per the knowledge of Vraj people in the childhood).

Thanks Shivang.  Smile

ShivangBuch

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged

And if the meaning of Dau is really cousin as per subtitles, then it is fine because Balram was real brother in a sense (Devaki's 7th child), step brother in another sense (Rohini's son) and cousin in yet another sense (Krishna being Yashoda's son as per the knowledge of Vraj people in the childhood).

Thanks Shivang.  Smile

Even as Rohini's son I think he would be half-brother, not stepbrother because both shared the same father, right?Embarrassed

ShivangBuch

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
^ Thanks for the explanation Shivang, makes sense now.Big smile So it's like one of those phrases which cannot be translated into English....Telugu has a lot of metaphors like that too, and the subtitles from certain DVD movies sometimes don't make sense.LOL Some phrases in the Indian language(s) just cannot be translated without the beauty of the original meaning being lost.Embarrassed

Anyhow guys,

Here is a cute avi set from SK which Mehwish made for me...it's from the original Dwaraka Nirmaan scene feature Swapnil, Sanjeev, and the actor who played Akrurji.

-Janu

Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 26 January 2011 at 2:14pm

Urmila11ShivangBuchVishakha_Sakhi

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Thanks Shivang.  Smile

Even as Rohini's son I think he would be half-brother, not stepbrother because both shared the same father, right?Embarrassed

Actually Janu, stepbrother and half-brother are the same thing and that epithet would be right anyway because the simplest meaning of stepbrother is 'a brother who has only one parent in common with you'. Embarrassed

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch..RamKiJanaki..

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged
@ Gunu - the SiyaRam sig on pg4 was fantastic hun, LOVE it to bits!! Plzzz share the pics you used, esp the bottom middle one... our SiyaRam look too sweet Day Dreaming

@ Shivang - great idea bhaiya, about using this thread to share ideas for future threads and see which are most interesting to begin first!! I shall not wait long too act on it Wink

@ Janu - stunning sigs hun, the colorings you've come out with lately are outta this world Day Dreaming The Maya Mrig one wit Arun is def gonna be on my list when I next send it!!

@ Sema - lovely discussion idea hun, I think that Shakti aghaat episode is a huge favorite among all of us here so it will definitely be of interest!! But what do you think of maybe fitting it into a broader topic of discussion so that it has more scope for everyone's contributions than a synopsis thread... something like... brotherly love/devotion (which we kinda discussed already) or scenes where Shri Ram showed human vulnerability and emotion and what meanings can be derived from them (that, I think, would be new and interesting).... so, how about it? Or, any other ideas?

@ Deeps - yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy it's youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu so happy to see you hun Hug How've you been?

@ all confused by daau bhaiya LOL - from what I gather, daau is just "elder brother" in braj bhasha, so though daau bhaiya is redundant ("brother-brother" LOL), it has no ulterior meanings that should make us too concerned. lol@ the haathi ghoda paalki translation ROFL

Edited by lola610 - 26 January 2011 at 4:34pm

Urmila11ShivangBuch..RamKiJanaki..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top