Mythological Masti

India-Forums

Mythological Masti
Mythological Masti

{> Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan & Shri Krishna AT#1 <} (Page 52)

MagadhSundari IF-Rockerz
MagadhSundari
MagadhSundari

Posted: 08 September 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged
^^ I changed my mind, I don't want any PMs or scraps about this conversation... I've said all I had to say, please spare me LOL J/k but seriously, I didn't intend to express judgment or offend on either of you so please forgive me if it came across that way and don't feel the need to defend your POV to me because I promise, I get it. It's just that I think there's more fun to be had if we step away from such broad analysis, at least for a while. So... new, narrower topic! Classical dance songs from both shows Dancing Watch, reminisce, discuss:

Lankeshwar Rajeshwar - Ravan's introduction:

Jai Jai Jai Sugreev Kapishwar - Sugreev's coronation, about 3 mins into this:

Raag Rang Chhayo - Sugreev forgets his promise, a minute into this:

Swagatam Swagatam - SiyaRam's coronation:

Mohini Avtaar song from SK:

Sneh Satkaar Karo - Jarasandh's welcome song for Banasur in SK, 3 mins in:

Edited by lola610 - 08 September 2012 at 11:24pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.anishaa.

ShivangBuch Goldie
ShivangBuch
ShivangBuch

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 6:00am | IP Logged
Janaki

But where the rules were broken????!!!!!!!!!Shocked There was no comparison between shows (There was nothing specific about specific shows - it was just general). The discussion never went to how is NDTV Ramayan or how is recent Ramayan and what are their flaws etc. It was general topic (how far necessary is the remake of old Ramayan and how) with regard to what would or should be the real value addition in new mythos (in general in all) to attract me or people in general to watch. When I say I don't get attracted to see a new Ramayan (AND IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I DON'T LIKE TO SEE WHEN I SEE IT - it just means that I have no motivation to initiate) if it is a compilation only and not based on a single source, where have I said that new Ramayan is not good to watch or not well produced? It simply means that any Ramayan (whether 2008 or 2012) adds technological value mainly and in terms of content, what is required is a single source that was the point. That's it. Where is the offense? I in fact saw criticism about starting of 2012 Ramayan in its thread (about its need). If 2008 was needed, 2012 is also fine. If this is not needed, then that was also not needed. That was the point. 20 years is the gap between one father and son generation but culturewise, generation changes every year every standard of school. And if I naturally or accidentally come across any episode of any of the two new Ramayans, I will enjoy it that you know.

Lola

I will see your fresh post now and will reply the long PM of Janaki now in PM but had to reply over here because I don't agree that any rule was broken. It was just a fine logical flow going on naturally and I was saying the fact what I am seeing around in Gujarat everywhere (not just the circle of my age but my elders & students also). And there is no specific topic for which this thread has been made so I and Janaki were just sharing our personal observations (what she has found around her and what I find around). It is general about the importance of RS shows in our life and we were just discussing about that.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 09 September 2012 at 6:00am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa.

ShivangBuch Goldie
ShivangBuch
ShivangBuch

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lola610

So... new, narrower topic! Classical dance songs from both shows Dancing Watch, reminisce, discuss:

Smile To chalo karo shuru discussion. I am ready to play also antakshari of RS songs. Anyone interested?Wink Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa.

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Addictz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged

@Shivang,

I just thought we were deviating slightly from the rules (not necessarily breaking them) because we were comparing Ramayan's popularity today with other mythos, and I don't think that really should have come into the discussion in the first place since the main point was whether remakes were necessary or not. Anyway, like Lola said we both have made our POVs pretty clear so further discussion in this thread is not necessary. If you want we can discuss through PM.

Anyway, I'm not offended by what you said and hope the same is for you.Embarrassed I thought we were having a healthy discussion and apologize if I came across as curt or rigid in my stance. I just don't have the same views as you when it comes to remakes, because I think them necessary for today's society, but again we all are free to have our own opinion so there is no point in discussing the same topic again and again when we clearly won't change our mind.

@Lola,

I know I was being broad when I said most of today's audience prefers younger actors, but I think it's different for soaps and movies to be honest. The medium for movies is different but you have to admit that even with older guys, people do prefer if they have a muscular body and a trim figure, right? The looks of the older guys from 20 years ago doesn't attract people today, because regardless of age nowadays an actor has to have a hollywood type body. That's true even of Indian folk. With soaps, while actors like Ram Kapoor may have their fair share of fans, the ones with the crazy and huge fan followings are the younger ones. Plus, I don't need to look elsewhere to prove how people do prize looks in mytho shows. Go to the Dkdm forum where half the forum members are drooling over Mohit Raina's body, and there are some who claim that they would never have watched the show if he wasn't so "hot". I know mythological shows shouldn't be geared only for those type of fans but also attract genuine religious folk, but I think if they also attract those type of fans and create in them a love for the puranas because of these actors, technology, and the opulence of the sets, then it will have achieved something. Otherwise, Shivang Anna is right. What is the need for the remakes? Remakes are only needed where the old ones have failed with the newer audience. Moreover, there is also a scope for showing more stories and information since they have more resources now.

Also, I think seeing the old classics from a young age really helps. You mention how RSR and other old mythos like Shri Krishna and Mahabharat are in a separate part of your brain because they are a part of your soul and all...unfortunately I cannot connect with that because I did not watch them since childhood.Cry I watched RSR only a year before ASR came out, and RSK afterwards as you know. I did not get to enjoy the type of childhood you all did growing up with these mythos ingrained in my mind, and this is something that really saddens me, because while I love RSR a looot, it's not separate in my mind from other mythos because I saw them all around the same time...first RSR, then ASR, then JSK, and so on...that's why maybe I find it easier to love and appreciate the newer mythos for making an effort to reach today's audience, and maybe that's also why I judge and analyze all the mythos more or less along the same line, finding at least some faults with each other. I don't have that type of deep connection with RSR that spans years of childhood, that makes me immune to its faults because of my deep devotion for it, and also because a child cannot differentiate such faults and just loves everything he or she sees). It really does make a difference to watch it during childhood and watch it during young adulthood.Unhappy While I do acknowledge that RSR was mostly flawless except for a few exceptions here and there, I cannot put it in a separate part of the brain like you when I watch new mythos. If I do compare them, I compare them all along the same line.

Anyway, I agree that this thread would be a lot more fun and addicting if we move away from such topics and actually treat it like an appreciation thread. I am all for the antaakshari game.

ShivangBuch.anishaa.

ShivangBuch Goldie
ShivangBuch
ShivangBuch

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 8:26am | IP Logged
Oh yes chelli. I was enjoying. There is noway you can offend me. And I was also not justifying to you. I mean I didn't mean to defend myself offending you. I was just saying that our discussion had nothing specific to offend anyone. And even there was no point of popularity of RS shows vis a vis other shows in our discussion. The topic was whether there is any scope of value addition or not after RS shows and if there is, in which areas of production. I can't find any statement where relative popularity was compared. Absolute popularity of RS shows is evident and that can be discussed here since this is the thread of RS shows. It was just the question of need of new shows rather than how they are once they have already been produced. NDTV Ramayan is successful without doubt. Even this new one also can be attractive for new generation. I don't think we were deviating from the rules. Topic was broad and general about the need of remakes rather than quality of remakes already created. In fact I was very conscious (and still natural and fluent in thoughts) not to bring the actual quality aspect of new shows in the discussion (and I can't bring in fact since I haven't watched them to be able to comment either way). If after being so conscious, still we are breaking or even deviating to break the rules, then it would be very difficult to even absolutely appreciate RS shows in this RSPP and I would say rules are unnecessarily restrictive too much and over conscious (I mean howsoever perfect the remake is, themewise it will still be compilation of sources - same theme of old shows with perfect contents - with different technology and different actors so better would be to have a VR or RCM exclusive creation - that was the broad view. Now there is no better place to express this view than either this Ramayan 1987 thread or Ramayan 2012 thread). I haven't read your PM yet. I also haven't read your reply to Lola above. Now I will read your PM and will continue this discussion over there only. Let's keep this RSPP a fun and not get involved into rules now. Our discussion is now getting boring for Lola (which I always knew it would be but then I dared thinking that she would simply not read it LOL) is sufficient reason for me to discontinue it rather than worrying about deviating from the rules. Let's have fun.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 09 September 2012 at 8:58am

.anishaa...RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Addictz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShivangBuch

Oh yes chelli. I was enjoying. There is noway you can offend me. And I was also not justifying to you. I mean I didn't mean to defend myself offending you. I was just saying that our discussion had nothing specific to offend anyone. And even there was no point of popularity of RS shows vis a vis other shows in our discussion. The topic was whether there is any scope of value addition or not after RS shows and if there is, in which areas of production. I can't find any statement where relative popularity was compared. Absolute popularity of RS shows is evident and that can be discussed here since this is the thread of RS shows. It was just the question of need of new shows rather than how they are once they have already been produced. NDTV Ramayan is successful without doubt. Even this new one also can be attractive for new generation. I don't think we were deviating from the rules. Topic was broad and general about the need of remakes rather than quality of remakes already created. In fact I was very conscious (and still natural and fluent in thoughts) not to bring the actual quality aspect of new shows in the discussion (and I can't bring in fact since I haven't watched them to be able to comment either way). If after being so conscious, still we are breaking or even deviating to break the rules, then it would be very difficult to even absolutely appreciate RS shows in this RSPP and I would say rules are unnecessarily restrictive too much and over conscious (I mean howsoever perfect the remake is, themewise it will still be compilation of sources - same theme of old shows with perfect contents - with different technology and different actors so better would be to have a VR or RCM exclusive creation - that was the broad view. Now there is no better place to express this view than either this Ramayan 1987 thread or Ramayan 2012 thread). I haven't read your PM yet. I also haven't read your reply to Lola above. Now I will read your PM and will continue this discussion over there only. Let's keep this RSPP a fun and not get involved into rules now. Our discussion is now getting boring for Lola (which I always knew it would be but then I dared thinking that she would simply not read it LOL) is sufficient reason for me to discontinue it rather than worrying about deviating from the rules. Let's have fun.

I'm glad, as I don't want to offend you even in my dreams.Hug

Anyway, to conclude this discussion since Lola is getting boredLOL, a Ramayan solely based on VR or RCM would be a good idea, I think, but in my honest opinion I think a serial based on many sources would be more interesting.Embarrassed The reason is that there are parts of each source that really stand out in my mind (like the whole pushp vatika-swayamvar stories of RCM which VR does not have, or many of the Yudh Kand scenes which VR has but not RCM) and I'd like to see them all in a Ramayan serial. RSji did a beautiful job compiling different sources in his show, and I think though AS also used the same theme, he tried to be different from his father also so that the show was not a total remake. He showed a lot of background stories which we were familiar with in mytho movies but not shows, and he also showed scenes from VR and RCM itself which RSji could not show maybe because of time constraint, like that scene in Yudh Kand where Indrajit creates a maya Sita and chops off her head to distract the vanar sena while he prays to Nikumbila Devi. That story is from VR, isn't it? But many people do not know about it because it's not the sort of scene we typically see in mytho shows (which are family-oriented) because of its violence factor.Embarrassed That's why I did not think ASR to be a waste of time. It did teach me a lot of stuff that was not shown in RSR, and if this new Zee Ramayan teaches me something now covered by any of the previous versions, I will appreciate it too. I just think that if a show is remade, it should be different from the previous versions and teach the audience something new. So far it's the same thing we've seen in RSR and ASR, but if down the line they show stories from other sources we never saw before, I'll be grateful to it. Otherwise I will think it was not needed because it has not attempted to be different.

Anyway, Lola is probably yawning right now so I'll chat with you next on this topic through PM.WinkLOL

ShivangBuch.anishaa.

.anishaa. IF-Dazzler
.anishaa.
.anishaa.

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged
to be quite honest, I enjoyed the whole Ramayan discussion Embarrassed I've just come back from stalking the last few pages and phew! I would definitely contibute my opinion but I think you guys have concluded the topic and plus, I don't want tomatoes thrown at me LOL
And I don't think I'm capable of sounding as intellectual as any of you and unfortunately I don't have enough time to type "essays" :( I have a huge series of Pride & Prejudice assignments due tomorrow and right now my only option is to use Sparknotes Confused Anywho that is so off-topic LOL
but I haven't posted here in a while...Lola thank you for posting the videos! I watched the Lankeshwar Ravan intro video and the Mohini video. Thoroughly enjoyed the classical dance and the feeling associated with viewing a mytho. I haven't actually watched a mytho in forever! I quite miss it actually. Ouch And this has no religious significance whatsoever but I liked the costumes LOL I noticed you made some sort of costume analysis/appreciation thread but I tuned in kind of late so yea...Embarrassed

ShivangBuch..RamKiJanaki..

MagadhSundari IF-Rockerz
MagadhSundari
MagadhSundari

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged
Yes, this is lovely - sab apne lambe chaude paragraphs likho and then after boring me sufficiently, add a line pretending to worry about Lolaveri's boredom ROFL

Janu, I just want to respond to this real quick:
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

You have to admit that even with older guys, people do prefer if they have a muscular body and a trim figure, right? The looks of the older guys from 20 years ago doesn't attract people today, because regardless of age nowadays an actor has to have a hollywood type body. That's true even of Indian folk.

Trust me, it's difficult if not impossible to generalize like that about today's audience because there is SO much diversity, be it in television fandoms or w.r.t. film. The audience includes the desi telly fangirls you encounter here on IF (they may be louder about their preferences, but that doesn't mean that there are more of them than any other type of viewer), who take notice of a show only when it's headlined by well-built actors. It also scholarly, bookish crowds like the ones Shivang is referring to who might like a single-source Ramayan remake as a reference material or an annotated bibliography edition of the originals for research purpose. It even includes a sizeable share of absolute weirdos - believe it or not, the most popular ship from HP among the gals in my 'circle is Snape-Hermione Confused So yeah, given the very different preferences I've noticed among girls otherwise belonging to the same demographics as myself (thanks in part to tumblr), I can't buy into that reasoning. 

But that being said, IMHO if remakes manage to capture these different sectors of the audiences and plant the tiniest seed of devotion or even a passing interest in spirituality in their minds, then no matter how many such remakes are made and how flimsy I might consider their basis for differentiation, I will be grateful that they exist and appreciate whatever I can from them :)  I know I've said that before, but everyone else is repeating themselves at the expense of my boredom so why not I LOL

AND NOW NEW TOPIC! I<3NISHI EXTRA FOR COMPLYING ApproveLOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.anishaa...RamKiJanaki..

Go to top