India-Forums

Pratigya
Pratigya

Anybody here a Thakur?

elle45 Goldie
elle45
elle45

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 4:38am | IP Logged

After watching the Thakur family on MKAP, I now want to know more about what being a Thakur means. I'm not from that part of the world where we have Thakurs, and so I'd like a bit more insight into this.

Being a THAKUR, as I understand, is considered a status symbol, you think of yourself as royalty, you are rich, you enjoy a prominent position in society.

I'd like a brief history as to why Thakurs are considered superior to other classes, is it because they might be land-owners or big businessmen?

Do they really not consider education a necessity?

Do they still enjoy such a good social standing, like most of them being politicians and people of influence?

Do they really have a reputation of being ruthless like Sajjan Singh in the show?

How are Thakur women treated? Surely there must be many cases of highly educated women of Thakur origin going on to good positions career wise?

Is there any such thing as a poor Thakur?

I do not mean to intentionally or unintentionally hurt the feelings of anyone on the forum, whether they belong to a Thakur family or not. I just think that the serial shows that a THAKUR parivaar will be ruthless, uneducated, uncouth..... this might be a wrong image, as in this day and age, maybe real-life Thakurs are just as well-educated and civilized as others?

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hussainramso....Poojie....carisma2

hussainramso IF-Sizzlerz
hussainramso
hussainramso

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 4:49am | IP Logged
Elle,
Although I am from both India and Pakistan.......don't ask! I'm a little more familiar with landowners in Pakistan. Many are uneducated and yes they are ruthless. That is not to say that all are like that.
elle45 Goldie
elle45
elle45

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged
Yummi, I know about the feudal system in Pak and I guess you're right, we can probably equate the Thakurs we see on TV to them. They dont need to get educated coz they have all the money they need. They get women as and when they need it based on their power. They rule with an iron fist and no one dare defy them.

But is this the way most Thakur families are in India?
MERARAI IF-Sizzlerz
MERARAI
MERARAI

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged
elle

I am not a Takur but as you can tell by now, sometimes I am a TALKER.LOL I personally see the classification based on caste, creed, color, race, religion, etc. as demeaning of human spirit for fundamentally we are all the same.

If you look at the hiearchy in the caste system which is really a class system, there are four of them based on what they did for a living. The Brahmins (scholars, teachers, priests etc.), kings and warriors were called Kshatriya, the merchants/traeders were Vastriya, and then there were those that served the other three classes.  It is good to see that these classifications though still existant in some parts of India is blurring it's boundaries as more and more people are marrying outside their castes and religions. Clap

SS once said to Krishna they are the descendants of royalty which would then classify them under Kshatriya. Earlier on in the show the caste discrimination was highlighted with SS refusing to accept Prats as a bahu bec' she was a Kayastha (followers of brahmina and kshatriya traditions).

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

elle45

elle45 Goldie
elle45
elle45

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MERARAI

elle

I am not a Takur but as you can tell by now, sometimes I am a TALKER.LOL I personally see the classification based on caste, creed, color, race, religion, etc. as demeaning of human spirit for fundamentally we are all the same.

If you look at the hiearchy in the caste system which is really a class system, there are four of them based on what they did for a living. The Brahmins (scholars, teachers, priests etc.), kings and warriors were called Kshatriya, the merchants/traeders were Vastriya, and then there were those that served the other three classes.  It is good to see that these classifications though still existant in some parts of India is blurring it's boundaries as more and more people are marrying outside their castes and religions. Clap

SS once said to Krishna they are the descendants of royalty which would then classify them under Kshatriya. Earlier on in the show the caste discrimination was highlighted with SS refusing to accept Prats as a bahu bec' she was a Kayastha (followers of brahmina and kshatriya traditions).
I agree with you completely regarding the highlighted part Big smile I do not understand how ppl can think that they are better than others by birth. If anyone is born in a family of higher social standing, it does not automatically make them a better person. I think your actions and intentions make you the better person, not your family history. All this discrimination is very irritating Angry

However, in this show, it's not only the Thakurs who have discriminated, the Saxenas are more at fault I think. I haven't seen the earlier episodes but I can well imagine how SS would have reacted to Krishna marrying from another caste. However, as far as I can see, he agreed to marry even Komal to non-Thakurs, and later on even accepted Arushi in the blink of an eye.
The Saxenas on the other hand, constantly discriminate against the Thakurs. They consider themselves superior due to their education. Both families, esp the Saxenas, need to get off their high horses and consider the other as their equals.  

MERARAI

Rahm IF-Rockerz
Rahm
Rahm

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged
Elle, I actually come from a line of landowners--both from my mom and dad's side. My grandfather actually never worked a day in his life, however, he was extremely kind to anyone that has ever worked for him and my grandmother is quite an outspoken lady. She pretty much ran the house. We still give people salaries that don't work for us anymore as they're too old.. kind of like a pension.

I think landowners are considered superior because they have tons of money.

Not true. Education is valued highly in my family, however, it wasn't like this for my grandfather and his brothers while they were growing up.

I believe they do especially when it comes to marriages.. I've seen a lot of people take pride in being married into such families.

Probably. While my grandfather was alive, no one was allowed to walk with their shoes or umbrellas past our house. *shrug* I was told that it wasn't something enforced, but people did it out of respect.

I don't know about other families, but in my own women are treated pretty well. As I said, my grandmother ran the house. My grandfather never laid a hand on her the way SS does to Amma.

Of course there is! There's plenty of landowners that have lost their property and such.

I'm from Bangladesh so I'm giving you the Bangali version of landowners.. don't know how it is in India/Pakistan.
elle45 Goldie
elle45
elle45

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged
Thanks for replying Rahm Smile Good to hear that you come from a family which has progressed as time goes on, and which actually respects women, respects the employees, and believes in education. Is this the norm for most families, or are you guys the exception?

I guess there's different types of families everywhere, some good, some bad, and we really can't judge them all together. With the Thakur family in our serial.... it's like saying one bad apple spoils the bunch. They are the exceptionally evil Thakur family which is giving a bad name to all Thakur families everywhere.  

Rahm

Rahm IF-Rockerz
Rahm
Rahm

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
Elle, I don't really have much knowledge about landowners and whatnot. I grew up in NY.. only went back for summer vacations so don't know really know much about other families. My grandfather and grandmother both died and their employees are still paid. When my grandfather was alive, he gave a portion of his property to the people that worked for him and built them houses (with his own hands). There's a college named after my grandfather there as he had it built (that's actually in the city area--we live in the village area).

A couple of the employees are actually like family to us. When one of them got paralyzed waist down, my grandmother actually cleaned after her herself because she wasn't able to actually get up and go to the bathroom.

Despite having so many employees, my grandmother preferred to wash her own clothes, clean her own room and bathroom and even clean and cut the food that was to be cooked. The employees basically took care of the rest of the house and 3 of the gardens. The garden that is situated right outside of the house, my grandmother took care of that.

The whole Thakur ruthlessness is new to me because I've always seen the exact opposite at home.

Go to top