India-Forums

Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee
Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Where the mind is without fear

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
I was encourage by my friend from the Den, Vini to post this in the main forum.

Seeing Geet's action yesterday I'm reminded of Rabindranath Tagore's poem, "Where the mind is without fear". Here's the poem and my interpretation of it for Geet.

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
She fearlessly spoke her mind and exposed the culprits whether it was in front of the office staff when Sasha tried to slander her name or in front of the entire crowd attending her wedding where Brij tried to justify his inhuman actions in the name of family honour.

Where knowledge is free

She was made aware of her rights by her man who gave that knowledge for free for he did not even know her well then.

Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Unlike her family which is steeped in orthodoxy and dogmas, giving little importance to human life, Maan, who is her world now, still has high integrity and is broad minded enough to accept her with her baby.
Where words come out from the depth of truth
She has always been able to speak the truth, however bitter it may be and whatever be the cost of it.  She nearly lost her love because of her admission of her pregnant status but she did not want to hide this important information from the man she loved. It is only later did she confess her feelings for him.

Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Whatever she took up, she strove for perfection. She was unqualified for her job but that did not deter her from doing her best in it and even excelling in things which did not strictly fall within her job portfolio. She was willing to give it her all, even at the cost of her health at times.

Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
She may be a bundle of confusion before taking her decisions but once she is convinced about the path she has to tread, she never loses sight of reason.

Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Her life has not been a bed of roses. In fact it was more a bed of thorns but she never failed to count her blessings even while faced with adversities.

Into ever-widening thought and action
She has come a long way from the gullible and naive small town girl. Her thoughts and actions have broadened and she is a woman of substance now. What is commendable is that she has achieved all this while retaining her inherent innocence of character.

Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

She stands for the liberation of women and has been awoken to it. What remains to be seen is will she be able to awaken her fellow sisters who are still shackled by the heavy chains of society. 

Edited by Opti - 20 January 2011 at 4:04am

The following 43 member(s) liked the above post:

vartipassionfruitwatergirl68inNandita5coasta_70ManneetFANshivangi783XXaquafireXXsubiamanartisticrafiajaswswaram-eiya-iqbals4everhegdemedhawinonaNewdime--Revv--minnie_tweetiemeravigilisoViji79Antaresesha143-RushTrip-panchjun5pippa-sumaiya-euphoricmechantefille-Zoya-mgdg_2010jyoti06md410swan20RajeevGurtiFan49erFanspshastrliv2laughvivacious_gurlsun-naaaaaaaaablackb28Cute_AshKrishna_Sourav

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged
Here is my take on the highlight of yesterday's episode - Geet's firm stand against the man who tried to kill her not once but thrice.

I loved Geet's dialogues. She made several important points which I'll try to cover below.

She said why can she not marry again when the society Brij belongs to allows men to do so. Although it is strictly not comparable because her first marriage was never valid and she is indeed getting married for the first time, she still drove the knife where it would hurt for she questioned the double standards of society.  What is good for the gander should also be be good for the goose, shouldn't it?

She said she is proud to be a mother, to be able to bring a life into this world. She does not feel ashamed to admit to the world her motherhood status.  Another important point to a society which readily blames an unmarried woman who has the misfortune to get pregnant but the guilty father is never questioned. What's more? The child is considered illegitimate as though it is its fault to come into existence.  If anything, it is the parents who are illegitimate, not the child.

She said that her child has a father who will give it all that it needs and named Maan to be that father. It is the first time she is proclaiming to the world that Maan would be the father of her child although it is already understood because all those assembled already knew she was pregnant with Dev's child.  This should set Maan's mind to rest since he felt that he would not make a good father, especially after the sauna incident when he chose her over the baby.  The message to the society is that a man other than the biological father can also make a good parent, if not a better parent, than the one who dupes his so called wife and runs off with her money. 

When she is accused of leaving her family she admits it saying that she chose to be independent and make a life for herself. She has the right to make her choices and follow her heart.  Most women suffer in silence the injustice meted to them because of the sense of duty towards their children. Her call is to those women who are unable or unwilling to break their shackles and live their lives on their terms, to do so.

She speaks against domestic violence. She speaks against narrow minded people who think women are puppets to be treated worse than animals or slaves, locked up in rooms, beaten up, threatened to be killed, all because they decided to speak up against the archaic rules and false family honour.

In all this she did not fail to acknowledge the contribution of her saviour, her mentor and her would-be life partner. If it had not been for Maan she would not have been alive both in the physical and figurative sense. She proudly announced to the world that she has her Ma(a)n with her and she wants nothing else. Nothing or nobody can come between them for they started their relationship on the basis of truth. Today she is reaping the rich rewards what she sowed by way of truth when she told her man that she was pregnant before she admitted her love for him.  The lesson is any relationship based on truth and honesty need not fear of dangers from outside forces.

Geet is an ambassador for all those women who  have been wronged but are too weak to protest. She is the beacon of hope for the several nameless, faceless women who are resigned to their fate.  She is the breath of life for those women leading a lifeless existence, thanks to a warped society which is still highly parochial. She is the pride of all mothers who aspire to give the child the best in life, depending only on their own self confidence and will to survive. When she left HP she did not know that she will meet and get Maan's support. She left not knowing the future and yet willing to risk it all for her baby. The baby has now become even more indispensable than before.  Hope the CVs remember this right up to the very end.

Edited by Opti - 19 January 2011 at 12:48am

The following 21 member(s) liked the above post:

Nandita5ManneetFANshivangi783chipXXaquafireXXsubiamaniqbals4everhegdemedhaNewdime-Veritaserum-meravigiliso-sumaiya-esha143jyoti06liv2laughRajeevGurtiFanvivacious_gurlspshastrsun-naaaaaaaaaCute_AshKrishna_Sourav

liv2laugh IF-Sizzlerz
liv2laugh
liv2laugh

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
Opti words fail me. The poem itself is beautiful but your interpretation of it elevated Tagore's work to a new high. 

Clap

My own miniscule contribution Embarrassed

Geet proved that a woman's destiny
Is charted by her own hand
All the rules made by men are just
words written in the sand

Do not judge a book by its cover
Do not underestimate her worth
Standing up to tyranny is a piece of cake
She has the fortitude to give birth

Her strength and perseverence boundless
every obstacle she can remove
All she needs is a little encouragement
She can make mountains move
      ~ Jhanavi~

Edited by liv2laugh - 18 January 2011 at 9:04pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

shivangi783hegdemedha-sumaiya-md410sun-naaaaaaaaavivacious_gurlblackb28Opti

Viji79 IF-Rockerz
Viji79
Viji79

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
Awesome post. Very well thought and written. I am proud to be a woman in every sense.
Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged

Jhan your poem was beauuuutiful. Loved it. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

liv2laugh

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged
Thanks Viji, I'm proud to be a woman too. I was proud of Geet too.
saanjh11 IF-Sizzlerz
saanjh11
saanjh11

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged
loved the way u have put  it togetherSmile
meravigiliso IF-Rockerz
meravigiliso
meravigiliso

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 11:28pm | IP Logged
beautiful interpreatation of tagore's poet. but still present scenario is existing in the society.   however we say that we have open the door for women but still women is fighting for injustice happens to her again and again . the society still creates hassels for second marraige, divorces are treated shabbily and men still uses women for his needs. but yes girls like geet makes a difference in the society .atleast they  give a ray of light to the girls who cannot fight. yesterday episode really gives the insight of injustice happening to millions of girls in the name of honour done by their own kith and kin. shame on them jo auratien ko ek vastu samajhte hai aur jab man chaha use apne hisaab se use kar dete. i know it is a long journey for all those victims but yes we together can lighten the tunnel and can start the new journey of life with security and with lots of freedom . proud to be women and yes with little efforts we can definetly bring the change in the society.

Edited by acjanfeb1 - 18 January 2011 at 11:28pm

Go to top