Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

India-Forums

What was roooooooomantic in this? (Page 3)

nycsweetie IF-Sizzlerz
nycsweetie
nycsweetie

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by guptar85

I think mona was referring the romantic part toward sushant's love for madhuri...he loved madhuri so much that he gave all of his sister the blue outfit. Mona tend to be random so maybe she meant to say how cute instead of romantic Tongue

u are right

blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PujaThapar

Originally posted by blyton

Maybe the topic starter should brush up their own vocabulary first. Romantic does not always mean relating to a love relationship. The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines romantic as "exciting and mysterious and having a strong effect on your emotions". That aptly sums up Sushant's feelings for Madhuri and the dance he performed.

Thanks for your concern but my vocab is pretty updated.This forum encourages a healthy exchange of viewpoints,so i would request you not to post comments that infuriate or run down other people and learn to take things in a lighter vein!!!
We are all here for fun so please don't get insolent....

So is your idea of "fun" making an entire topic about the host's usage of ONE word? And that too, a word that was apt to the situation? Was your intention not to run down Mona??Ouch
blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Mona's script has a limited vocabulary (wowest/awesomest). Romantic was the closest word in the script kitty.

Are you feigning ignorance about the fact that the usage of wowest/awesomest was part of the script, to promote their sponsor??
blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged

Maybe the topic starter should brush up their own vocabulary first. Romantic does not always mean relating to a love relationship. The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines romantic as "exciting and mysterious and having a strong effect on your emotions". That aptly sums up Sushant's feelings for Madhuri and the dance he performed.

But then again can we actually attribute references to 19th century art to JDJ scripters and Mona Singh?

19th Century art ONLY?? Have you had any kind of exposure to British/Canadian literature of the 20th century?? Or will you prefer Mona to stick to words that were coined in the last decade??
durgeshwari Senior Member
durgeshwari
durgeshwari

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged

Thanks for your concern but my vocab is pretty updated.This forum encourages a healthy exchange of viewpoints,so i would request you not to post comments that infuriate or run down other people and learn to take things in a lighter vein!!!

So is your idea of "fun" making an entire topic about the host's usage of ONE word? And that too, a word that was apt to the situation? Was your intention not to run down Mona??Ouch

LOL Are you a Mona fan?
blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged

LOL Are you a Mona fan?

I think that should be obvious...oh, but I forgot about comprehension levels....Ermm

How about my asking you a question: "Are you a Mona hater?"
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged

Mona's script has a limited vocabulary (wowest/awesomest). Romantic was the closest word in the script kitty.

Are you feigning ignorance about the fact that the usage of wowest/awesomest was part of the script, to promote their sponsor??

I'm aware that its part of the sponsor, but when did that stop it from being ridiculous. In fact I made sure to state "script" rather than Mona herself.

But then again can we actually attribute references to 19th century art to JDJ scripters and Mona Singh?

19th Century art ONLY?? Have you had any kind of exposure to British/Canadian literature of the 20th century?? Or will you prefer Mona to stick to words that were coined in the last decade??

I believe particular definition of romance you cited is attributed to "romanticism" the era of 19th century arts. Granted romantic arts have been seen in earlier and later periods, but usually romantic refers to that period. It was a tongue in cheek reference to the absurdity of using the non colloquial reference of romance in common place speech that to in a show that would be a postmodern hodge podge at best.

But arts is not my major, neither is English or literature, I could as well be completely ignorant, idiotic and illiterate in both.

blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:45pm | IP Logged

I believe particular definition of romance you cited is attributed to "romanticism" the era of 19th century arts. Granted romantic arts have been seen in earlier and later periods, but usually romantic refers to that period. It was a tongue in cheek reference to the absurdity of using the non colloquial reference of romance in common place speech that to in a show that would be a postmodern hodge podge at best.

But arts is not my major, neither is English or literature, I could as well be completely ignorant, idiotic and illiterate in both.

a. The usage of the word "romantic" as per the definition I quoted has been in use since well past the 19th century, even though it originated in that period. However, as is the case with most "old-fashioned" terms that percolate to cultures where English is not the mother tongue, it has been "colourwashed" by popular culture to mean a narrow derivation of its original meaning; somewhat like the term "disinterested" which originally meant "without seeking advantage to self" but has now been reduced to "lack of interest".Ermm

b. English literature has not been my major either.

c.  It seems reasonable to assume that Mona was not using the word "romance" in its original sense. (She has never claimed to be intellectual) It was non-colloquial but definitely not non-contextual usage of the word in its popular sense. She used it to mean Sushant's fascination/ preoccupation/fantasising about Madhuri through his dance and his action back in 1994.
My issue is with the people who "measure her corn in their own half-bushel" to use a country term, by mocking her vocabulary when their own is not up to the mark Thumbs Down, and upon running out of rational argument, resort to questioning her defenders on their fan status.

All I can say is, if Mona is so important to some that they notice and comment upon every word she uses, they must be  bigger fans of her than even I am.Tongue

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index