Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi
Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi

Non-Cook Bahu....... (Page 3)

taral83 IF-Dazzler
taral83
taral83

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by rsinging

I understand that this is just a show, but some reality is required.  I am yet to see a Punjabi girl (i was born and rasied in US traditionally) who has never set foot int he kitchen.  We were taught basics at a very young age and were required to cook on weekends when we had no school. This is an insult to us as a culture.  Speaking of insults, the girls parents giving the idea of a honeymoon is shameful itself not to mention no self respecting family of any Indian culture would send someone to spy on their daughter or do things for her and fool her in-laws.  This is way to off the beaten path. 

Thank you.....we are not expecting her to be a great cook but she should know something........and its not only Mona I am talking about but every time they show this kind of track in any serial. I just hate it. Its a pitty. Everyone i mean everyone should know the basics of cooking. If I was her saas, I would have thrown a fit by now. I would be willing to teach her better cooking but she should know the basics, at least what basic masals or how to make roti, rice whatever her ethnic food maybe...........but do be so bad has to know even know basic veggy is beyond me...............

nycsweetie IF-Sizzlerz
nycsweetie
nycsweetie

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged

I understand that this is just a show, but some reality is required.  I am yet to see a Punjabi girl (i was born and rasied in US traditionally) who has never set foot int he kitchen.  We were taught basics at a very young age and were required to cook on weekends when we had no school. This is an insult to us as a culture.  Speaking of insults, the girls parents giving the idea of a honeymoon is shameful itself not to mention no self respecting family of any Indian culture would send someone to spy on their daughter or do things for her and fool her in-laws.  This is way to off the beaten path. 

actually i am punjabi as well but I was never required to cook on the weekends or anything like that...btw i was born nd raised in the US so it might be different in India...i mean i can make rice and rotis because I have observed my mom do it for years but i cant make and sabzi or dal or sweet dishes without a recipe...in fact my mom has always told me to focus on my studies rather than the kitchen work
brainychild92 IF-Sizzlerz
brainychild92
brainychild92

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nycsweetie

actually i am punjabi as well but I was never required to cook on the weekends or anything like that...btw i was born nd raised in the US so it might be different in India...i mean i can make rice and rotis because I have observed my mom do it for years but i cant make and sabzi or dal or sweet dishes without a recipe...in fact my mom has always told me to focus on my studies rather than the kitchen work

thank you! i once got mehndi done for eid and the girls who did it were punjabi's(friends of friends) . . . their mom served us food because their like we don't know how to make food.. they were in their late teens, early 20s ...    some people just don't know how to make food but we do know how to dial the phone!lol    (in kitni mohabbat hai 2, when arohi, hte main lead, was kidnapped.. she said the same thing to her friend.."i don't know how to cook.. i'm a 21st century girl.. i learned how to dial a phone... call and order..lol.. it was funny)

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

_Sahra_

tanzeb Senior Member
tanzeb
tanzeb

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged

I believe in Punjabi households, the boys are taught how to cook  but not the girls.

I've dated quite a few Punjabi guys, and they always knew how to cook.  My ex-boyfriend who is Sikh would whip up paratas, matter paneer in 10 minutes flat.

_Sahra_ Goldie
_Sahra_
_Sahra_

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by brainychild92

Originally posted by nycsweetie

thank you! i once got mehndi done for eid and the girls who did it were punjabi's(friends of friends) . . . their mom served us food because their like we don't know how to make food.. they were in their late teens, early 20s ...    some people just don't know how to make food but we do know how to dial the phone!lol    (in kitni mohabbat hai 2, when arohi, hte main lead, was kidnapped.. she said the same thing to her friend.."i don't know how to cook.. i'm a 21st century girl.. i learned how to dial a phone... call and order..lol.. it was funny)
   That so funny , b/c all I've been taught is my studdies come first , then other thing but the one thing i know by heart as 21st century girl is the  number to my favortie pizza place LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

HalkatJawaniJaybrainychild92

taral83 IF-Dazzler
taral83
taral83

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged
LOL....LOLI had to laugh at some of your comments..."dial the phone".....well anyway young gals....if anything remember one thing............"a ways to a man's heart is through his stomach"................trust me....I dated my husband for 7 years and been married for 2..........and if there is one way I can get my hubby and back then boyfriend to do.....well simply......all I had to do was make his favorite dish..........LOL.....and I got what I wanted.....i was 17/ 18 back then.....27 now..but it still works.............if anything i know how to make his fav food....I made sure of that...lolWink

Edited by taral83 - 19 January 2011 at 7:38pm
HalkatJawaniJay IF-Dazzler
HalkatJawaniJay
HalkatJawaniJay

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by taral83

LOL....LOLI had to laugh at some of your comments..."dial the phone".....well anyway young gals....if anything remember one thing............"a ways to a man's heart is through his stomach"................trust me....I dated my husband for 7 years and been married for 2..........and if there is one way I can get my hubby and back then boyfriend to do.....well simply......all I had to do was make his favorite dish..........LOL.....and I got what I wanted.....i was 17/ 18 back then.....27 now..but it still works.............if anything i know how to make his fav food....I made sure of that...lolWink

You clever girlLOL I agree with Priya and others our families have always been studies first rest comes after that, you know till I was going to college only thing I knew was how to make tea because seriously if you take a 16-17 credit load you don't have a time for anything else other than studies. But coming back to Mona she didn't do anything, she was going to college for sake of it not to make a career so I don't see a point why she wouldn't know this stuff...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

taral83

April2007 IF-Dazzler
April2007
April2007

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged

Not all Punjabi girls can cook. It depends on family. Most girls learn cooking after they get married. Mona's in-laws should teach her cooking. Most parents like to help their children, I see nothing wrong with it. In the families and culture I come from..If I lived next to my parents house,..coming and going of my family and myself to my parents homes  will not be a big deal. I don't come from very traditional background.

I see lot of time being wasted to control and make people unhappy in the name of useless traditions..my tradition is honesty, trust and respect for all..

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index