Laagi Tujhse Lagan

Open Letter to IF-My final thoughts on LTL| VB Nte Pg 6

gp00 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Moderators--please close this topic if it is too true or violates IF's delicate sensibilities. 

I have loved, loved, loved my time on this forum.  I wasn't going to write this post (my last)  but consider it an important topic that IF will have to deal with in the future.  The moderators on the LTL site have done a fantastic job...moderating and making sure the civility prevails...you won't see Lord of the Flies here. πŸ˜† The members on this forum in particular are par excellence...witty, creative, and expressive in both praise and criticism.  And I believe in freedom of speech, and that is what makes this forum special

The IF has given us an opportunity to meet, discuss, and build friendships.  And I am very thankful for it. 

The one thing I would like to bring up is muted tones of censorship on this site--maintaining peace, not saying anything that can rile people up, let's do the dance of friendship.  I understand the rules in place for IF participation and they make sense (e.g. against obscenity, ***, etc).  What fails to make sense to me is the notion that there is peace to be maintained on the site so that individual members don't get depressed or sad.  That topics cannot be brought up, words, thoughts have to be censored --or the politically correct word of edited--to protect the faint of heart.  Even my interview -- a silly, bird-brained interview--with Mishal was deemed "inappropriate" as you cannot discuss the personal lives of the actors.  I mean come on--they were in pictures together.

Logically speaking, if we are not allowed to talk about their personal lives, then why are their interviews posted on this site?  These actors clearly bring up their "good" sides in these personal interviews, telliing us every Sunday, they go to the movies with mummy and daddy, despite working all the time.  They talk about their perfect mate, how saintly they are, how espoused to Indian values they are (closeups at the mandir), and at other times, and other self-promo.  So if they raise these points about their personal lives, why are we not allowed to discuss them?

Secondly, if IF believes that this site is for the discussion of show episodes and that alone, then they are horribly mistaken.  Go through the forums.  The actors, channels, producers, directors, and shows are inextricably linked.  How many times has Mishal's name come up?  I am not calling for open season on actors, but why the censure?  Let us talk about celebrities, laugh, gossip within reason.  Is IF afraid that open discussions may spook the actors, making them less accessible?  Well, I hate to burst that little bubble, but the actors NEED the forums, media, fans to prop them up--it's part of the game called "celebrity".  They come on these forums to know if we like them or not, what we think of their acting.  It's natural curiosity, just like we are naturally curious about them. 

Case in point--this whole Mishal is-he or isn't-he thing and IF's concern that members were creating a negative environment.  What???  By expressing their views?  By coordinating a petition? Or are we contributing to negativity?  Arre, this world is positive AND negative.  You can't have positive or neutral all the time, and especially not on a forum. 

Here's my thoughts on the Mishal thing, Mahi, and just about everything else related to the show I feel like talking about in this final post of mine. 

I don't know the guy, don't really care about him.  All I know is that he fit the Dutta role beautifully.  Or perhaps I could say the role fit him perfectly.  And yes, other actors could have pulled it off.  Of that I have no doubt.

His decision to leave LTL at the time rose me out of my LTL-induced slumber .  And it's my opinion that he did not leave for "other opportunities".  He in part just got sick of the story or the people guiding the show, or both.  It's evident now--he denied having other commitments and (supposedly) entered into negotiations with the producers to make sure the show gets back in line and his character too.  The last thing actors want is for their roles to become laughing stocks or twisted in absurd ways.  Hurts their value in the industry. 

Mishal has said in the past he is choosy about his roles.  Perhaps he is being honest.  So let me be honest in turn-- the guy can afford to be choosy.  He is no Mahi or Vinay or others who had to work harder to earn a living.  He is like the many well-off Indian sons who are sent abroad to be "educated"πŸ˜† or work in Daddy's office.  Inevitably, college ends, they get bored or can't handle the responsibility, and return to India. <I personally know of many> Perhaps, they call it missing their moms and dads (which is often genuine,  and let's not forget their servants and cooks). Next stop for a returning expat:  the bug called Bollywood or Tellywood.  Especially in the circles Mishal travelled.  I mean, what else is there to do for those privileged few?  It seems to be the career by default in Mumbai.

I recently came upon a post on this site where someone discussed Mishal saying he's gotten marriage proposals because of his apartment. It was a joke.  But it was very telling too about him.  The person who wrote the post was slightly criticized and I'm generallly surprised the IF police did not descend down in a raid and close the topic.  To the people who said Mishal earned his money to get that apartment....you must be JOKING.  What Mishal has gotten paid over the past year is mere peanuts compared to the money to buy such an apartment.  That is daddy's money and the person who wrote that post is right on.  And I"m glad that person was able to discuss the topic.  And plus, it made for real fun reading.

So all in all, Mishal's seems okay enough.  He's a wonderful Dutta.  He's brilliant in this role.  But I like the person who gives me my Dunkin Donuts coffee every morning much better.  I don't think Mishal is everything Mishal says he is.

Mahhi has worked harded for a long time and I respect her for that.  It may not sound like it in my posts, but I do.  I've worked hard to get where I am and I know so many people do the same--the guy who comes in every evening 6:30pm and cleans my and others' offices, the lady who has been standing on her feet for 6-7 hours serving coffees, the garbage man who comes at 5am and earns an honest living.  What irked me about her was that in her interviews she was too stand-offish or stupid, your pick.  The kicking people who try to drag me down comment she made, made erupt in laughter.  Again, it was either very naive or paranoid, your pick.   And let's not forget the cheesy denial of her relationship / engagement to that guy.  Yes, it is her personal life, but who lies about this stuff?  I know some of you may think Mahi wants to keep her private life private, but sorry Mahi is not that.  It was a silly version of the game "can you keep a secret?" played by "stars".

It should come as no surprise that I hated Naku's character--she became old and one-dimensional....so sycophantic "saab, saab....saab.  She was like her mom that way--annoying.  Not to mention she had an absurd problem with truth.  A big no-no for such an enlightened and good soul, no?

The show was so beautiful until that time after they came back from the jungle and the Ganesh Charthurthi.  It made my blood boil to see such stupidity in a show that had spared us stupidity since the beginning.  And it has been on a downward spiral -- quality-wise--ever since. 

That's all I have to say.  Thank you for letting me do that.

Au Revoir and all the best to all of you.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Carrie- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Oh Parul, you're leaving & that too so pissed. Makes me so sad. πŸ˜”True every word you say as regards LTL story. Today's episode was testimony to the sorry state of affairs that began in July-Aug. I remember when you ,I and a few others tried to draw attention to it at the time some came on us like a ton of bricks.Chided us for spreading negativity, for our dismal understanding of the story & the characters. They were mad at us for spoiling their "TaSha Scene" euphoria. Now the same people use every "negative" word in the dictionary to dis the characters & the story.😡
I stopped following the story a long time ago.I only watch it for glimpses of the man I love so much.The one lesson I learnt after LTL. A soap is a soap is a soap. Whatever the packaging.
I still don't find anything wrong with ur Birdie Interview .Its a matter of public record.And it was all "in good fun" as some here like to say.
Take care & do stay in touch thru PMs.
Edited by ZubyDutta - 13 years ago
KavitaDR thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Dear Parul,

I am sorry to read that I will be deprived of your pearls of wisdom and practicality on the Forum. What can I say except for the fact that you bring to the fore the very important issue of the freedom of speech  and the issue as to who decides what is to be censored and how one can be certain that it does not censor our opinions.  I have got no problems if it touches on clearly illegal material, but even then, to what extent is it the right choice to push it under the carpet?

I feel that it is much more a case of arguing in favour of net neutrality as opposed to censorship as blogging has become a way of life and sound an alarm bell for what I would call the emergence of a smart cyber mob. So much so that even respected organisations around the world are waking up to the impact of social networking on journalism and its incidence on the way it touches the lives of people, mainly celebrities (for the time being) and slowly private corporations and government bodies. 

To come back to the thread you have referred to, I did find it odd that someone would have shown so much interest in how Mishal Raheja chose to give details about his house but the pride with which he related to the matter does give us the impression that we were at liberty to discuss or joke about it on a public forum. This is the problem with celebrities in general who, despite all attempts for a degree of normalcy fall into a trap as the moment one decides to go public with details that are best kept away from priving eyes, they forsake the right to question censure of criticism. MR, to date, has not objected to any article or content that may have come up on the internet or other platforms. He is, actually, shown using the same medium (Wassup TV) to clear his name, so where is the harm. Actually, he seems to be quite news savvy, and chooses to go mute or public to further his career/PR activities. I would love to see all our celebrities adopting Scarlett Johansson's attitude when she announced her divorce from Ryan Reynolds recently when she stated: "While privacy isn't expected, it's certainly appreciated." And I feel that MR belongs to that new crop of actors who may be hurt by criticisms but is learning to take it in his stride and this is the reason that he will most probably succeed in the long run.

I would not say that I have felt any form of censorship on the LTL forum (the only TV forum I contribute to). The DT, especially, FivR has been very helpful the few times, I have queried about anything, but I have, definitely, felt that there may be a certain level of intolerance on the part of some members to come down very aggressively on subjects that are, absolutely, relevant to LTL. I have got no issues once again as I, fully, respect the fact that this is a public platform where everyone has the right to express their opinions.

As to LTL, I have been vociferous enough about my feelings for the way a beautifully conceptualised story has been butchered to the point that I sometimes get the feeling that the CVs do not care anymore and just do as they please. I am still hoping that we see a decent conclusion for a story that seems to have run out of steam because of a lack of vision from the channel/PH and the CVs.

Whatever be the case, I hope that we will be able to communicate somehow as you were one of the members on this forum with whom I would have loved to discuss many more issues apart from LTL. We may meet on another forum, or via the PMs. Take care.

Luv,

Kavita😊
Edited by KavitaDR - 13 years ago
nightoffullmoon thumbnail
Originally posted by: gp00

Moderators--please close this topic if it is too true or violates IF's delicate sensibilities. 

I have loved, loved, loved my time on this forum.  I wasn't going to write this post (my last)  but consider it an important topic that IF will have to deal with in the future.  The moderators on the LTL site have done a fantastic job...moderating and making sure the civility prevails...you won't see Lord of the Flies here. πŸ˜† The members on this forum in particular are par excellence...witty, creative, and expressive in both praise and criticism.  And I believe in freedom of speech, and that is what makes this forum special

The IF has given us an opportunity to meet, discuss, and build friendships.  And I am very thankful for it. 

The one thing I would like to bring up is muted tones of censorship on this site--maintaining peace, not saying anything that can rile people up, let's do the dance of friendship.  I understand the rules in place for IF participation and they make sense (e.g. against obscenity, ***, etc).  What fails to make sense to me is the notion that there is peace to be maintained on the site so that individual members don't get depressed or sad.  That topics cannot be brought up, words, thoughts have to be censored --or the politically correct word of edited--to protect the faint of heart.  Even my interview -- a silly, bird-brained interview--with Mishal was deemed "inappropriate" as you cannot discuss the personal lives of the actors.  I mean come on--they were in pictures together.

Logically speaking, if we are not allowed to talk about their personal lives, then why are their interviews posted on this site?  These actors clearly bring up their "good" sides in these personal interviews, telliing us every Sunday, they go to the movies with mummy and daddy, despite working all the time.  They talk about their perfect mate, how saintly they are, how espoused to Indian values they are (closeups at the mandir), and at other times, and other self-promo.  So if they raise these points about their personal lives, why are we not allowed to discuss them?

Secondly, if IF believes that this site is for the discussion of show episodes and that alone, then they are horribly mistaken.  Go through the forums.  The actors, channels, producers, directors, and shows are inextricably linked.  How many times has Mishal's name come up?  I am not calling for open season on actors, but why the censure?  Let us talk about celebrities, laugh, gossip within reason.  Is IF afraid that open discussions may spook the actors, making them less accessible?  Well, I hate to burst that little bubble, but the actors NEED the forums, media, fans to prop them up--it's part of the game called "celebrity".  They come on these forums to know if we like them or not, what we think of their acting.  It's natural curiosity, just like we are naturally curious about them. 

Case in point--this whole Mishal is-he or isn't-he thing and IF's concern that members were creating a negative environment.  What???  By expressing their views?  By coordinating a petition? Or are we contributing to negativity?  Arre, this world is positive AND negative.  You can't have positive or neutral all the time, and especially not on a forum. 

Here's my thoughts on the Mishal thing, Mahi, and just about everything else related to the show I feel like talking about in this final post of mine. 

I don't know the guy, don't really care about him.  All I know is that he fit the Dutta role beautifully.  Or perhaps I could say the role fit him perfectly.  And yes, other actors could have pulled it off.  Of that I have no doubt.

His decision to leave LTL at the time rose me out of my LTL-induced slumber .  And it's my opinion that he did not leave for "other opportunities".  He in part just got sick of the story or the people guiding the show, or both.  It's evident now--he denied having other commitments and (supposedly) entered into negotiations with the producers to make sure the show gets back in line and his character too.  The last thing actors want is for their roles to become laughing stocks or twisted in absurd ways.  Hurts their value in the industry. 

Mishal has said in the past he is choosy about his roles.  Perhaps he is being honest.  So let me be honest in turn-- the guy can afford to be choosy.  He is no Mahi or Vinay or others who had to work harder to earn a living.  He is like the many well-off Indian sons who are sent abroad to be "educated"πŸ˜† or work in Daddy's office.  Inevitably, college ends, they get bored or can't handle the responsibility, and return to India. <I personally know of many> Perhaps, they call it missing their moms and dads (which is often genuine,  and let's not forget their servants and cooks). Next stop for a returning expat:  the bug called Bollywood or Tellywood.  Especially in the circles Mishal travelled.  I mean, what else is there to do for those privileged few?  It seems to be the career by default in Mumbai.

I recently came upon a post on this site where someone discussed Mishal saying he's gotten marriage proposals because of his apartment. It was a joke.  But it was very telling too about him.  The person who wrote the post was slightly criticized and I'm generallly surprised the IF police did not descend down in a raid and close the topic.  To the people who said Mishal earned his money to get that apartment....you must be JOKING.  What Mishal has gotten paid over the past year is mere peanuts compared to the money to buy such an apartment.  That is daddy's money and the person who wrote that post is right on.  And I"m glad that person was able to discuss the topic.  And plus, it made for real fun reading.

So all in all, Mishal's seems okay enough.  He's a wonderful Dutta.  He's brilliant in this role.  But I like the person who gives me my Dunkin Donuts coffee every morning much better.  I don't think Mishal is everything Mishal says he is.

Mahhi has worked harded for a long time and I respect her for that.  It may not sound like it in my posts, but I do.  I've worked hard to get where I am and I know so many people do the same--the guy who comes in every evening 6:30pm and cleans my and others' offices, the lady who has been standing on her feet for 6-7 hours serving coffees, the garbage man who comes at 5am and earns an honest living.  What irked me about her was that in her interviews she was too stand-offish or stupid, your pick.  The kicking people who try to drag me down comment she made, made erupt in laughter.  Again, it was either very naive or paranoid, your pick.   And let's not forget the cheesy denial of her relationship / engagement to that guy.  Yes, it is her personal life, but who lies about this stuff?  I know some of you may think Mahi wants to keep her private life private, but sorry Mahi is not that.  It was a silly version of the game "can you keep a secret?" played by "stars".

It should come as no surprise that I hated Naku's character--she became old and one-dimensional....so sycophantic "saab, saab....saab.  She was like her mom that way--annoying.  Not to mention she had an absurd problem with truth.  A big no-no for such an enlightened and good soul, no?

The show was so beautiful until that time after they came back from the jungle and the Ganesh Charthurthi.  It made my blood boil to see such stupidity in a show that had spared us stupidity since the beginning.  And it has been on a downward spiral -- quality-wise--ever since. 

That's all I have to say.  Thank you for letting me do that.

Au Revoir and all the best to all of you.

GP00, agree with you completely. I stopped watching the show. I can't stand it. If I had not paid for that TV, I would have broken it.

I come to this forum to just check how you guys are doing, to read your posts.

Even if they bring back Mishal, the story has spiraled down the drain, it has lost all the charm for me. I am not even interested in seeing the end.

Strangely, what has happened towards the end, Dutta getting bumped off, and all, has just erased even the good memories of LTL that I had.

They could have taken my idea and let PN burn and ended the story. The story, like you said earlier, will die its natural death.

I mean, come on, how long would you like to watch Nakku and Dutta mooning over each other?

It just got too tiresome and irksome, so I stopped watching.

Baaji, Nakku, even Dutta are such dumb *sses. Kala siphons off money, they don't notice.

I am sorry, but they have systematically dumbed down and ruined every character, even Dutta. So, to me, they can bring in any Tom, Dick or Harry to play Bhau. I am not watching it anymore.

Lastly, GP00 keep in touch. You may be too incensed to post, but you can certainly PM us.πŸ˜‰ 
Edited by nightoffullmoon - 13 years ago
Wanderbug thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Hi Gp,
i am sorry now that we never interacted through forum much..but i love your sense of humour and ur tellybirdie interviews..i loved..absolutely loved that mishal interview of little dosa and idlis...very well worded...i won't say that MR is a saint or too perfect as he says...i mean he is an actor he comes on tv to pretend...but yes, he is good at his work and i respect him for that...i don't much care what he does once he switches offf from dutta mode..though as i like dutta invariably i like him too becoz..he is synonymous with Dutta...i watch LTL only for him..i come to this forum which is like an addiction for my friends who love my FFs and appreciate wht i write....its like a club of very intelligent talented ppl....but i was equally shocked when i read ineque fivr's post that 8 yrs old frequent this site..and lets face it though an 8yr old knows a lot today but still we should not contribute in wrecking their minds further. so a tongue in check is necessary..we can't really stop them frm coming here..

now discussing anyone's personal life..well...if its personal it won't be on TV...the word personal for celebrities has a different meaning then us common ppl. so lets not say much abt.."personal" lives.

I don't know wht to say abt current events of LTL....its the only soap i watch and i know its a story just a serial which should not affect me much but yeah watching something so beautiful go down the drains is painful...what they are trying to do is still very unclear to me..sadly enough i started watching the show after JMM....and since then nothing awesome had happened..i still watch the old episodes to keep my hopes up for the show....

well..i hope we meet on some other forum some day coz would love to read more tellybirdie interviews...
take care...
-Carrie- thumbnail
[

GP00, agree with you completely. I stopped watching the show. I can't stand it. If I had not paid for that TV, I would have broken it.

I come to this forum to just check how you guys are doing, to read your posts.

Even if they bring back Mishal, the story has spiraled down the drain, it has lost all the charm for me. I am not even interested in seeing the end.

Strangely, what has happened towards the end, Dutta getting bumped off, and all, has just erased even the good memories of LTL that I had.

They could have taken my idea and let PN burn and ended the story. The story, like you said earlier, will die its natural death.

I mean, come on, how long would you like to watch Nakku and Dutta mooning over each other?

It just got too tiresome and irksome, so I stopped watching.

Baaji, Nakku, even Dutta are such dumb *sses. Kala siphons off money, they don't notice.

I am sorry, but they have systematically dumbed down and ruined every character, even Dutta. So, to me, they can bring in an Tom, Dick or Harry to play Bhau. I am not watching it anymore.

Lastly, GP00 keep in touch. You may be too incensed to post, but you can certainly PM usπŸ˜‰ 
[/QUOTE]
Very well said Yamini.πŸ‘ :"TaSha,TaSha Tasha" How this word irritates me! Earlier she was mooning over him with a black face mask on.I could not relate to that for one second even. Her being golden hearted should make up for all the dishonesty & utter lack of trust, we were firmly told.
And now  suddenly turns into Lady Don, Mistress of Patilwadi overnight driving fast jeeps/helicopters, controlling rioting mobs & addressing rallies. Ganpat was able to bring home suitcases full of gold bars & D doesn't know what's missing from his coffers?Goodness. 🀒 Come on ppl!What's is going on?
Regarding 8-year olds visiting the Forum, it is their Parent's problem, not ours.

Self-censorship is good, but I cannot be one sided. That's most pathetic excuse I have ever heard for censorship.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

If IF is so concerned about the world's 8-year olds, they should get a disclaimer and an age agreement on Sign Up.

8-year olds can also access adult entertainment sites, who is going to take responsibility for that?

The real reason MR decided to leave (or ahem, bargain his way back) was the way they ruined the character he is playing. And the way he was being sidelined. Nakku getting the spotlight and Dutta being dumbed down and relegated to the shadows.

MV made hay, getting on dance shows, live performances (she can't dance for nutsπŸ˜‰, "toy monkey" to quote GP00), sharing screen space with Salman Khan, etc.

And MR? He was careful not to over expose himself. Not being too available to the media, appearing on other shows. Which is actually good, because if you see him prancing and grinning on every other show, Dutta's persona would be robbed of its uniqueness.

I remember my mother's comment when I told her who the anchor of Maano Ya Naa Mano was. First she could not recognise him with out the beard, the earrings, the grey pathan suit.

Then she said to him (though he couldn't hear herπŸ˜‰), "you look convincing only as Dutta Bhau...whatever you are doing now (anchoring), is just not working."

So, I think it is reasonable, if I were in MR's shoes and had invested a year of my budding career in portraying a great character, from whom the masses have great expectations, I would have left the show too. If they are going to rob me of the uniqueness of the character I portray, no point in being on the show.

The drinking binges, the angry outbursts, were getting too repetitive and not showing any emotional groW*H. I wish the CVs had seriously read our posts on IF, they would have not ruined the show. Tall claim, eh?πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by nightoffullmoon - 13 years ago
mussy.jamshed thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I hope you're fine GP, I guess LTL DTs are not unfair, rules are same for all. I still remember how I was warned to give comments on an actor's personal life and I respect DT's for it. Had we been in there place, we would have gone mad and wrong. If they allow everyone to bash actors openly in the forum n pick on their personal lives, it will be an open warfare in the forum. As civilized people we must abide by the rules in the forum. We always liked your post and gave good comments on yr page. But today I am not ok with your post.

We are no one to judge how hard MR/MV worked to reach this place. .

With due respect if you are so anti-LTL these days, why did you spare so much time in writing this long post. If  something is making you stressed, you could have discussed with DT personally via PM until you were fully satisfied with their answer. We have got extremely supportive and friendly Dev Team.

This is so not done Parul . Please don't take me wrong...
--Sia-- thumbnail
I hope you're fine GP. Coming to ur post, is it really fair for u to bring out ur discussion with DTs to an open forum?. U are asked not to discuss actors personal lives and here u are again doing the same thing. U or me are not aware of what MR , MV do in their day to day lives?. Do we really need to care for it?. We are here to discuss the show and the actors "premise" related to the show. If the articles discuss the actors personal life, let them do so. Thats their bread and butter. It doesnt mean we have the right to go ahead and repeat the same thing. IF has its rules, no getting personal with Actors and I feel its a wonderful rule. Otherwise there would be chaos everywhere if ppl start getting personal abt actors and start discussing the actor's private life, their dates and all.
Sply when the so called discussion doesnt relate to the show. DTs have made it loud and clear abt the rules and I feel whoever uses the forum is/should-be bound by those rules. If u feel u cant restrict urself with such rules then I think u have made the right decision. I wish u good luck !!!