Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

ICC World Cup 2011 (Page 27)

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by thickhead

whats with this fascination for the "choker" word ? loser, flop, failure - have these gone out of fashion ? outdated ?

Typically the team that wilts under pressure is tagged as "choker" .. but in this thread, any team that loses, irrespective of the circumstances or the importance of match, is being referred to as choker. 

Yesterday's match was an even contest between 2 top teams; eventually SA won but calling India as choker wud be rather unfair..

Amen to that! I honestly don't understand why every team that loses a match automatically becomes a choker. :\

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

thickhead

thickhead Senior Member
thickhead
thickhead

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Doe.

Nopes. Didn't call India chokers. They just choked yesterday, and once before that. Obviously, they'd have to do more than that to be called chokers. 

& as for me, I just call England & SA chokers, not any other. 

Don't mind but you're not making a lot of sense here ..perhaps arguing just for the sake of argument .. 

A team that's batting in 1st innings, at the home ground, under little pressure as far as qualification for the quarter finals is concerned, that manages to put 298 runs on the board .. can't understand where did they choke? How about saying - India lost - plain,simple and apt. 

Edited by thickhead - 13 March 2011 at 8:28am

hindu4lyf

MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged

Nopes. Didn't call India chokers. They just choked yesterday, and once before that. Obviously, they'd have to do more than that to be called chokers. 

& as for me, I just call England & SA chokers, not any other. 

Don't mind but you're not making a lot of sense here ..perhaps arguing just for the sake of argument .. 

A team that's batting in 1st innings, at the home ground, under little pressure as far as qualification for the quarter finals is concerned, that manages to put 298 runs on the board .. can't understand where did they choke? How about saying - India lost - plain,simple and apt. 

296 runs on board, after being 267/1 ?? If they had put 296 after being 267/5, fair enough. It wouldn't be called a choke. Now please tell me whose making a LOT of sense ? Lol.

India lost, true - plain, simple and apt. But they threw it away. 
MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged
& hmm, this is what Cricinfo had to say :-

India were 87-0 after the first 10 overs. And they were 267 for 1, with Tendulkar batting like a dream, after which the World cup's most formidable batting line-up crashed and burned. And how. South Africa will go into the break on a real high. They were facing the prospect of 350 and more for most of the innings. And now they have to chase only 297. I'm tipping South Africa for this one. They have all the momentum. India will have to wake up from their slumber.

So don't think I am the only one saying it, am I ? 

Edited by .Doe. - 13 March 2011 at 8:42am
thickhead Senior Member
thickhead
thickhead

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged

296 runs on board, after being 267/1 ?? If they had put 296 after being 267/5, fair enough. It wouldn't be called a choke. Now please tell me whose making a LOT of sense ? Lol.

Chalo lets deal with it logically - 

lets borrow your own definition of choking - "act of wilting under pressure".

In other words, validity of the "choke" word predicates upon the truth value of the 2 premises (both need to be true - logical conjunction) - 

1) Presence of a pressure situation.

2) Loss or failure

Out of the 2 conditions, only 1 is met i.e. loss. India was under little pressure as explained in the previous post. At 1st innings total of 267/1, a team is considered to be in gud position - its not pressure sit. . What happened after that i.e. loss of 9 wickets for 29 runs is called "collapse"  and not choke(or "crash" as cricinfo says). 

Since, required precondition for the conclusion does no longer hold, usage "choke" term is invalid.

That said you may still continue with ur LOL .. laughter is gud for health :)

hindu4lyf

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged

Chalo lets deal with it logically - 

lets borrow your own definition of choking - "act of wilting under pressure".

In other words, validity of the "choke" word predicates upon the truth value of the 2 premises (both need to be true - logical conjunction) - 

1) Presence of a pressure situation.

2) Loss or failure

Out of the 2 conditions, only 1 is met i.e. loss. India was under little pressure as explained in the previous post. At 1st innings total of 267/1, a team is considered to be in gud position - its not pressure sit. . What happened after that i.e. loss of 9 wickets for 29 runs is called "collapse"  and not choke(or "crash" as cricinfo says). 

Since, required precondition for the conclusion does no longer hold, usage "choke" term is invalid.

That said you may still continue with ur LOL .. laughter is gud for health :)

@bold: Bingo! You just hit the nail right on its head! ;)

Btw what ever happened to evanescence?

thickhead

thickhead Senior Member
thickhead
thickhead

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 9:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

evanescence ? in what context ? sorry but i didn't get that ?

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 9:10am | IP Logged

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

evanescence ? in what context ? sorry but i didn't get that ?

LOL woops! Sorry, my fault! I think I was confusing you with Shak. I thought he had gone back to one of his previous ID's.

thickhead

Go to top