MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
... Edited by Ashrozia - 13 years ago
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Ashrozia

To clarify few things, I am no Indian cricket fan first and foremost. Yes, I am an Indian, but I am no fan of our cricket. Few things, because Cricket has killed other sports here, and moreover, the Cricketers are just overpaid. They're job is cricket, not modelling. 
I have many reasons to NOT support them, but that doesn't mean I hate my country. I just don't like it's Cricket, just like I don't like corruption in our country.

I support good & probably better teams like Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, etc. 

So now you understand why I said what I said ?

I'd rather leave it here than get into an argument about patriotism, and blah blah..

Firstly, my post had nothing to do with patriotism at all.
Many of us have full time jobs on this forum, does that mean we're not allowed to do other things like modelling? If we're allowed to, why aren't they? Or do you expect them to be on the field practising cricket every single second of the day except when they are at home sleeping?
So what if some players choose to model? How come no-one points a fingers at SRK, Ranbir, John, Salman Khan etc when they're busy doing ads for Maggi noodles or Pepsi? lol isn't their job acting in films, why promote all these products then? Why should SRK dance at people's weddings and get paid crazy amounts when that isn't his job?

If other sports are not doing as well in India then why blame cricket? Blame the fans for not wanting to watch any other sports, don't blame the profession in our country. Anyway, I'm not sure what part of the world you live in but just take a look around India and you'll see just how big other sports are becoming in our country. For starters, the MUFC bar and restaurant is MASSIVE in Mumbai where there is a lot of craze. There are a lot of sports bars and cafe's in Mumbai, where people will come at crazy times to come and watch a footie match. These places are popular with the youth, and give it a few years and it will be even bigger. 

You support other 'good and better' teams? Erm, isn't India ranked the #1 team in the world in tests and #2 in ODI cricket?😕I'm not sure how we're supposed to get any more 'good or better' than that. Indian cricketers may choose to model but what about players like Brett Lee, didn't he release a song with Asha Bhosle? No-one's complaining about him singing, so why is modelling frowned upon? It's pure hypocrisy in my opinion.

So no, I still have no idea what logical reason you have for saying what you said.
MagixX thumbnail
See, that's why I edited my post..thinking it could cause quite a big argument. 
Ok, how massive ??? Didn't the hockey players just go on a strike because they were not getting paid enough ? Didn't some wrestlers's bed break down during the CWG ?? Lol, when did our cricketers get treated like that !?

Who asked them not to model ? Didn't I speak about over modelling ? You can find them in every other ad ! (You quoted me before I edited my post) Like I said, there's a limit for everything. 

Please tell me, do people like Brett Lee earn 200 crores through modelling ? 😕

Anyways, true..I know that India is a very good side, but there are teams better than ours too. I think you just now said that we don't give credit to the "better" players ?? Didn't you ?

& how many people attend football matches when India plays ? Yes, I have to blame the media for most of the part, but at the end of the day, they don't play Cricket. 
Edited by .Doe. - 13 years ago
MagixX thumbnail
Btw, I don't understand how did the Bolly actors come into the argument. Was this thread about them ? Did I mention that they're saints ?? Lol ! 
hindu4lyf thumbnail

See, that's why I edited my post..thinking it could cause quite a big argument. 

Ok, how massive ??? Didn't the hockey players just go on a strike because they were not getting paid enough ? Didn't some wrestlers's bed break down during the CWG ?? Lol, when did our cricketers get treated like that !?

Who asked them not to model ? Didn't I speak about over modelling ? You can find them in every other ad ! Lolzzz ! Like I said, there's a limit for everything. 

Please tell me, do people like Brett Lee earn 200 crores through modelling ? 😕

Anyways, true..I know that India is a very good side, but there are teams better than ours too. I think you just now said that we don't give credit to the "better" players ?? Didn't you ?

& how many people attend football matches when India plays ? Yes, I have to blame the media for most of the part, but at the end of the day, they don't play Cricket. 

So maybe they don't get paid enough, but it would be foolish to say that because of the Indian cricketers the hockey players don't get paid much. If more people tuned in to watch them play then they would automatically get more sponsors and their salaries would increase too. That's why I said, blame the people not the cricketers. I honestly don't see the link between wrestler's beds breaking down and cricketers getting paid more money than they should.😆You forget about all the other sportsmen whose beds weren't broken during the CWG lol.

Over modelling? Well, as long as they turn up to every match instead of being on the ramp for some fashion show then why should we care what they do in their personal time? Why does it affect you so much if they come in every other ad? Has it affected our ranking in ODI's or Tests?🤔

If people offer our cricketers 200 crores for modelling and not Brett Lee or Pollard then it would be silly not to accept it, as long as it does not come in the way of their job.
Statistically speaking, there is only ONE better team than ours, and that's Australia in ODI's.😊No worries there, we shall overtake them soon too. ;)

If India had a better football team, then fans would go out and support them, they have no reason not to. However, very few people will go and pay money to see their own team being thrashed by the opposition. Just take the Asia Cup for example. The fact that teams like Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool get so much attention in our country is a start..one step at a time.
MagixX thumbnail
Why don't they get paid more ? B'coz that sport is not watched as much, so I'd obviously blame cricket for that ! & please, Vishy Anand is another great sportsman from our country - the No.1 chess player in the world for most of time. How much does he get paid when compared to Cricketers ?
Indirectly, cricket is responsible for all the nonsense. Because it obviously sells more than the other sports. In England, Football sells the best, but you don't see their Cricketers going on strikes for getting paid less, do you ? Same for Australia, where AFL/NRL sells more. 

Oh seriously !? How well did India play in 2007 WC ? Still, did it's popularity decrease !? Indian hockey won Olympic golds, doesn't that matter ? How can you say they never played well !? 

Hahahaha..let Brett Lee get 200 crores, then we'd see. Btw, I have seen many people declining when they get more than what they deserve, the Cricketers have MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and enough. 

India may overtake Australia, it has not yet happened. When it happens, we'd see ! Besides, most of Indian wins come at home, how good is their record all over the world ? As good as Australia, hmm ?? What happened in the WC T20 last year, and Champions Trophy ??
hindu4lyf thumbnail

Why don't they get paid more ? B'coz that sport is not watched as much, so I'd obviously blame cricket for that ! & please, Vishy Anand is another great sportsman from our country - the No.1 chess player in the world for most of time. How much does he get paid when compared to Cricketers ?

Indirectly, cricket is responsible for all the nonsense. Because it obviously sells more than the other sports. In England, Football sells the best, but you don't see their Cricketers going on strikes for getting paid less, do you ? Same for Australia, where AFL/NRL sells more. 

Oh seriously !? How well did India played in 2007 WC ? Still, did it popularity decrease !? Indian hockey won Olympic golds, doesn't that matter ? How can you say they never played well !? 

Hahahaha..let Brett Lee get 200 crores, then we'd see. Btw, I have seen many people declining when they get more than what they deserve, the Cricketers have MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and enough. 

India may overtake Australia, it has not yet happened. When it happens, we'd see ! Besides, most of Indian wins come at home, how good is their record all over the world ? As good as Australia, hmm ?? What happened in the WC T20 last year, and Champions Trophy ??

LOL that's like entering a beauty contest where you come second and then blaming the winner for being more prettier than you.😆
It's virtually impossible to get majority of India, a cricket loving nation to watch ALL sports like tennis, badminton, snooker, hockey and football. Many of these sports have not been around for as long as cricket either and in time they will gather more fans. There are fans and followers of the sports in all parts of India but we are good at very few - like chess which barely gets much attention from any part of the world, forget just India. You can also argue the amount of fitness, physical problems and all the rest that cricketers have to go through is a lot lot more than what a chess player would have to go through, so to some extent what they get paid is justified. 

India didn't play well in the WC but they do not consistently lose matches. Home or away record doesn't matter much when looking at the rankings, the fact is that they win more matches than they lose. Oh I remember what happened at T20 last year, do you happen to remember the first year of T20 though? Remember, the year India actually won the tournament?

Btw, I never said India never play well in other sports. I was referring to the Football and the Asia Cup where our performance was embarrassing to say the least. Winning a couple of olympic golds or Commonwealth medals isn't going to suddenly increase the popularity of a game. People will take pride in their nation, yes, but only consistent performances will make people want to watch the game, as well as of course media hype.
MagixX thumbnail
LOL ! There's a difference between a beauty contest and a sport. Every sport is special, not one. Every sport is equally important and difficult in it's own way. You can't say that this sport is greater than this, so I'll watch it, LOL !
Laughable.

Now of course the damage is done, it cannot be repaired. So I will be blaming cricket forever..I can have my opinions, can't I ? 😆

Ahh..I see ! In Chess, you need to use your brains more when compared to Cricket. Isn't that stressing enough ? Ok, how much do Leander Paes & Mahesh Bhupati get paid considering they play Tennis and have made many records ?? Hmmm ???

Ok, so that's like saying, if Indian military fails, you'd call them embarrassing instead of working towards their welfare.
How many matches has England won in Cricket ? Don't their supporters still support them ? Travelling world wide around them ?? How many people do that when it comes to football or hockey here ??

Oh btw, India came out in the same way in the 2009 T20 WC as well. So the ratio is 2:1 ! 😛

Did you even know about this ?
MagixX thumbnail
Anyways, amidst all this, an entertaining game got washed out. Pity !
monar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I couldnt read the whole argument but let me jot down my views

CRICKET is most corrupt game in India, and if you can deny this? players are roaming out or become a commentator even after proven guilty for betting, shouldnt they be behind the bars like very small scale betting guys? or u wanna say other games dont have privilege of betting hence its not cricketers to blame on 🤔
Do you think we dont have better players then Mr. Srisanth/Ravinder Jadeja and etc? why they have been given many chances where other good players sitting at home? how about ICL? if you remember the format that was first introduced by Kapil and Zee TV all guys were forced to be guilt.... Sharad Pawar should get Bharat ratna for that 🥱

the gist of my blabbering is - cricket is good sport, but in India its the base of corruption + mess. Where all other sports persons struggle on their own without any support, Cricketers gets involve in all messy stuffs even after having best.
Edited by monar - 13 years ago