Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Blah Blah Corner (Chat till your fingers die): (Page 115)

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 4:44am | IP Logged
Interesting, looks like some soap bubbles that kids blow. Does make us think.

Since past, present and future are all actually rolled into one there should be some way for the mind to flit to and fro( like rewinding or forwarding our awareness).

cyrax Senior Member
cyrax
cyrax

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged
wow!

glace-bleue IF-Stunnerz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

bubble bursting photograph

high quality slow motion photography

Within the blink of an eye, what was once a splendid bubble is now nothing but a fine mist falling to the floor.

The split-second image shows details( mass of water still undispersed as it drops), contained in reality that normally go unseen but are revealed exquisitely by the technological eye of a lightning-fast, sophisticated state of the art digital camera. But what about the other way around, where time is slowed down, where one moment melts into the next, yielding not a sharp focus of the world but a soft one where nothing stands still? What do we want but to see things as they really are, but on what terms? Do we want a microsecond snapshot or a long, contemplative view?
It is interesting to see what you get when you don't get what you want. Sometimes, a decisive moment may be a blur. Isn't life like that? And it makes one think about reality in a whole new way.
The first pic is amazing...there is a program called 'Myth busters' ...I think on the discovery channel...my son watches it and so I do watch it in bits and pieces sometimes and they show activities in extreme slow motion...like bursting of the bubble above...
K.Consciousness Senior Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

cyrax

cyrax Senior Member
cyrax
cyrax

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by K.Resurrected.

I don't need crappy literature to teach me all that. I can feel the real world through my senses.

aah, k, your advice of moving to the tune of the markets have helped me so much Hug successfully traded some etf's and stocks recently Big smile

Edited by cyrax - 13 July 2011 at 11:06am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

K.Consciousnessglace-bleue

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged
Okay, just a few points.
Since, people seem to have been offended by what I wrote, especially to POH and WA. Here are my explanations.

POH's question about when I read Harry Potter was irrelevant because the time frame had no bearing in the discussion. And as for asking about those 3 characters, I felt he was only trying to test whether I have genuinely read the books or not. Cos, since he has read the books, he should know very well, that apart from Lupin, the other two (Sirius Black & James Potter) has very little about them in all the 3 books combined. Sirius enters towards the end of the 3rd book and there are only passing references to James Potter in all the 3 books. And even Lupin's character was not described in all that great detail and he was a minor secondary character in the 3rd book till the very end of that book when Sirius makes his appearance. In such a scenario, why press another person to say something about those characters?

And then there was the line about 'irrelevant and judgmental' that I wrote in response to WA's conclusion about why I don't like Harry Potter.
It was irrelevant because liking or disliking Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn doesn't have any influence on liking or disliking Harry Potter. All the 3 books are mutually exclusive and the preference for one doesn't affect the preference for another.
It was judgmental because WA jumped to the conclusion about why I don't like Harry Potter, based on her perception of my reading preferences. As I pointed out, the 3 books are mutually exclusive, so instead of trying to judge one's dislike based on what one likes, the actual focus should be on judging the quality of writing and the storyline of the material that one actually dislikes as the answer lies there.

Lastly, I was not criticising lack of characterisation or character development as some people are now claiming. That would've been true if I had complained 'ohh how little there is written about Harry Potter or Hermione Granger in the first 3 books'. I was criticising the way, in the first 3 books, some of the most frequently mentioned characters demonstrate a lack of common sense and commit stupid mistakes or were totally incompetent in almost everything or were partial. Now I think most people will agree that the fact is:
  • A stupid mistake or incompetence in studies/magic or partiality by someone remains a stupid mistake, incompetence in studies/magic and partiality irrespective of exactly on which page the character commits it and how many pages follow after that in the story.
Then how does it matter whether I point out the mistakes in their actions after I read 3 books or all 7 books? As I said in that thread, if I point out that someone's action was stupid, the response should be why the action was not stupid. Instead, the response that I got was how it's silly of me to point out the stupid actions and instead of doing that I should move on.

Edited by souro - 13 July 2011 at 11:39am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

glace-bleue

Beyond_the_Veil IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged

K.Consciousness Senior Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

my_viewglace-bleue-Believe-

Go to top