Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Blah Blah Corner (Chat till your fingers die): (Page 113)

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 12 July 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged

Sheeesh! All these fireworks had to  occur the only evening I ve been away this week! I see the controversial HP thread where it was when I had last logged in. Frankly speaking I never understood all the hype around HP. It did not interest me but then there have been  topics that interested me but not many others. So whats the big deal? That fans are fanatics has been demonstrated umpteen number of times on DM. It is evident by the activity of  members who come back from their hibernation to participate in these topics. Is there anything debatable about that?

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

Sheeesh! All these fireworks had to  occur the only evening I ve been away this week! I see the controversial HP thread where it was when I had last logged in. Frankly speaking I never understood all the hype around HP. It did not interest me but then there have been  topics that interested me but not many others. So whats the big deal? That fans are fanatics has been demonstrated umpteen number of times on DM. It is evident by the activity of  members who come back from their hibernation to participate in these topics. Is there anything debatable about that?

HP Fans are not as bad as the KSG fansLOL
*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged
One last post from me regarding all of this:

Although I don't believe I owe anyone an explanation, but I do think I had several valid points regarding the HP topic that got lost somewhere along the way. Everything I am saying has probably been said by me and a bunch of others here already, but I still feel the need to repeat these things in hope that they will clarify some of my original points.

Mister K:

I had no idea why the heck you were so involved in the Harry Potter topic, and then why you were ranting above about all the things I had said and done (without really taking my name in the post above). Then I checked the hall of fame (I can't remember when was the last time I ever bothered checking that before), and I realized that I was number one on the daily hall of fame. Big 'AHA' moment there for me, but I could not help but laugh at the fact that while you walk around with this I-could-care-less attitude, you actually are bothered by the fact that I was up high on that list today. Let me digress for a second and say OH-MY-GOD. I am barely active in DM (or any other section really) these days- I come back to DM because of one topic that attracts my attention, and you are worried about the number of likes my posts are getting! You say it does not matter, but it is the principle of the thing. Okay, let's say for a second that it is. Did you go back and read all my posts? While I admit that I did digress on a number of occasions in that topic, I also contributed a lot of my thoughts on Harry Potter and the topic in general (as silly as some of you may find our obsession with the series, it is true that we all were engaged in a discussion there). A lot of the "likes" came from people who I barely know, but who clicked "like" on my posts regarding HP - not my posts that contained my argument with Souro. Are you seriously objecting to that? Is it really that significant of a matter for you to be this upset over? If you feel those people shouldn't have done that, you are more than welcome to take it up with them. I honestly don't sit here and count how many "likes" my posts are getting.

Back to the original point, I made a very simple comment to Souro, pointing out the fact that he enjoyed Mark Twain, and that is why I understand why this kind of children's fantasy series is difficult for him to digest. That is all my comment meant, and he was upset over that! I cannot tell if I misinterpreted his tone, or he misinterpreted mine, but I have known Souro long enough to know that he has this tendency to misinterpret and then lash out at members during debates without understanding their original point (just an observation). Funny enough, you of all people should know that, seeing the number of arguments you both have shared in the past! I don't expect you to see why we all reacted the way we did to Souro's posts because, as I have told you before, you also take on this pretentious attitude during debates, and a lot of what you say sounds very condescending (and even demeaning at times). I don't know how many people will be gutsy enough to come out and agree with this in an open forum, but I can assure you that I am not the only one who thinks this way.

Some of the concerns you had in the HP topic with me included the whole issue with characterization. If logic is really what you are looking for, let me reiterate that point. Souro has read 800/4000 pages of the series - that is I believe about a 1/5 of the series. He is complaining about how weakly developed the characters are, so is it not only reasonable but also logical for the rest of us to encourage him to read the remaining books to catch a better grasp on the characters? Is that really as unreasonable as some of you made that out to be? How can the rest of us debate with Souro when we cannot give him examples to support our argument because they are from the remaining books that he has not read? Let me give you an example. Take a movie like Inception, and say it is around two hours long. I watch a 1/5th of it (that's about 24 minutes), and I come and tell you that it is a crappy movie, and silly/unrealistic things are happening. Who the hell can possibly come up with idiotic things like that!?! What will you say to me? Probably one of two things:

1) Why don't you finish watching the movie, and then maybe you'll understand it better. Then we can discuss that and debate what is good/bad about the movie.

-OR-

2) If you really think it's that silly, then maybe sci fi isn't your cup of tea, and you don't enjoy things like that.

End of discussion, right?! Something like that happened yesterday as well. If you think there is an option three above, then please do share. If not, what is wrong with the two options? Is that not reasonable enough? Would it really be more reasonable if I continued on ranting about how absolutely awful the first 24 minutes of the movie were or how stupid Leonardo Dicaprio's character was? (For what it's worth, I actually loved the movie.)

You, OBJ, and Empti were all in the thread and contributing zilch because you have no knowledge of the topic at hand. In fact, in this case, ironically enough, OBJ was probably more knowledgeable than both you and Empti combined. Still, none of us asked you to get out. In fact, we were also addressing your posts as well. Some of them were in good humor, some of them were cheeky, and some of them were downright condescending. A lot of you said you did not get what all the hype was about, I said that I (and a lot of others) are unreasonably obsessed, and we get it, but it is something we are attached to. How is that not wanting to debate and being fanatics!?!

Moving onto nasty disposition and foul language. HAH! You of all people are one to talk. You confessed earlier that you had engaged in some name calling, but it was only in heat of the moment. So, what I did yesterday - could that not also have been just in the heat of the moment? Speaking of nasty dispositions, you have had numerous arguments on this forum with people like Believe, Qwerty, Souro, Cuckoo, Empti, even Sarina and Gauri. You have said a lot of things that fall under having a nasty disposition towards these members. Heck, once you even stooped to the level of linking Souro and Sarina! Is that what you call ideal behavior? Where is this holier-than-thou attitude coming from now? I'm not saying that it is acceptable for me to call another member an ass like that on the forum, but I cannot believe that you are playing this card. I may not approve of your attitude, but I have always hoped that logic will prevail in your case. Unfortunately, I don't think that's always the case. Your "bludger" comment also lacked class, but I ignored it because I don't think you have anything to do with this topic or the situation, but yet to keep deciding to share your perspective as if someone cares or should care. While you do pretend to be unbiased and looking at things from up above, in a light that we can't all see, I don't think that is the case.

(Oh, you mentioned bitching and backbiting as well! I don't believe writing anything openly on the public forum is bitching or backbiting. Do you think I was not aware of the fact that Souro was most likely reading the thread even though he himself had moved it to a different location? Most of us were "bitching" there because we were well aware that the people we wanted to get our point across to were actually reading the thread. Point made here, don't you think?)

Souro:

If Sarina was the moderator today, and you were in her place making this topic, I guarantee you would have been more pissed than she was, and people like Mister K would have been claiming how unfair of a mod she is. We all know that most of us that have been here a while like to think that DM is home, and we don't visit a lot of other sections. With that in mind, DM has always been open to topics that could possibly be better fit in other sections, but most of us would not visit or engage in discussions in those other sections anyway. To carry the example of Inception further, there was a long topic on that movie in this section a while back, while I do believe there is a Hollywood section. Why weren't the members complaining that the topic needs to be shifted then? (I do realize that you were not in charge back then.) That is only example out of several others. I will be honest and say that you using your authority to move the topic to a different section when the debate was not going the way you wanted to was something I personally found very unfair. If you did not like the debate or the discussion, you could have ignored the topic instead of deciding after 20 pages that it no longer belonged in DM.

You remember that one time when you told me to ignore a member and don't get pissed off because he/she was acting like a pompous jerk and had a tendency to speak in a condescending tone and always mock others? The way you were talking to POH and me yesterday, I would say that description applied to you! (I mean c'mon, "because you can't get a hint, let me spell it out for you" - seriously!?!) You may not realize it or even agree with it, but you do have this tendency to carry yourself with a very pretentious attitude during a debate. Again, I don't know how many people will open up on the forum and agree with it, but I can assure you that I am not the only who thinks that. That got on my nerves yesterday, and I called you an ass. I shouldn't have done that, but I still do think you were being very pretentious. Having said that, I do realize that as a viewbie, you could have taken action against that post, but you did not (for whatever reason). Either way, that's not acceptable, and you're right, I was not being civil. I apologize. The reason I am clarifying this is because well, I do believe we were friends at some point, or as friendly as one can get on a forum anyway. Unlike others, I can assure you that I am not sucking up to you in any case. Under different circumstances, this would have been the time where I would have reminded how rude some of these people were to you in the past, and how they are falling head over heels praising you now that you're in power. Of course, that is besides the point.

---

All that said, I know for a fact that there are a lot of people here who I don't like and a whole lot others who don't like me. (As sappy as it sounds, I do consider a lot of us to be part of the DM family, where we all know each other's flaws (i.e. how we react to things, what our personalities are like, etc.) and that is why we are also forgiving at times because we know this is "normal behavior" for some members. When we do speak up, I hope it is obvious that some invisible line has been crossed and someone is hurt - all of us included.) We can't all get along, but I do like to think that some of the DM-ers will be open to a reasonable argument, hence my post. I am not too active in DM, and as Angie has said above, being a Harry Potter fanatic brought me back to the section. I don't think there is anything left for me to do here, HP was the only thing that brought me in the first place, and I guess that discussion can be carried on in other places as we have all come to know today. I will do my best to avoid DM henceforth, for the sake of my own sanity! However, I will add that DM is probably the only place in the world where the circle of life is very short. History will repeat itself, and these arguments will come again, and tables will turn. They always do. Until then, aap sab ko aap ka DM and the Hall of Fame mubarak ho. I hope the right people make it to the top - you know, the "enlightened" ones are always right and deserve to be up there. ;-)

Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 13 July 2011 at 12:12am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfBeyond_the_Veil

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged

Tongue

Edited by Prometeus - 13 July 2011 at 1:33am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

glace-bleue

glace-bleue IF-Stunnerz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Summer3

Originally posted by blue-ice

A year has passed since Khaty Bhai left us. I have opened a thread and it has been moved to the Members Lounge.
Hope Khaty Bhai himself can find it too.
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1727170

Indeed time flies we say. But Time is only an illusion.

I just saw this thread Summerji...its beautiful..

Thanks Blue Ice ji. Yes I do miss my good buddy.

These days I feel Time stays still and it is all of us who are moving.

I am sure u do miss him Summerji...I had never interacted with him as I was not active on DM when he was here...but I later read some of his posts...seemed like a very nice person...May he RIP..

Summer3

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged

A year has passed since Khaty Bhai left us. I have opened a thread and it has been moved to the Members Lounge.
Hope Khaty Bhai himself can find it too.
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1727170

Indeed time flies we say. But Time is only an illusion.

I just saw this thread Summerji...its beautiful..

Thanks Blue Ice ji. Yes I do miss my good buddy.

These days I feel Time stays still and it is all of us who are moving.

I am sure u do miss him Summerji...I had never interacted with him as I was not active on DM when he was here...but I later read some of his posts...seemed like a very nice person...May he RIP..
Thanks Blue Ice ji. He would have loved you.

glace-bleue

glace-bleue IF-Stunnerz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged
^^..I am flattered Summerji..
K.Consciousness Senior Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Go to top