Debate Mansion

Blah Blah Corner (Chat till your fingers die): - Page 95

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: Prometeus

Angie ji, ppl says na bad dicisions make good stories...πŸ˜ƒ

One should not opt to be the sacrificial goat too often lest people take one for granted.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: angie.4u

One should not opt to be the sacrificial goat too often lest people take one for granted.

True!!  bt sometimes standing for what u believe in means tht yu have to sacrifice temporarily for the gr8r good...
This content was originally posted by: K.Resurrected.

^^ OK. You win. I lose.

So long!

Very convenient. I am sure when the time comes, these same points will be raised again, while completely disregarding the counter-points that had been given.

I have no idea whether you are being serious or sarcastic. If you are, indeed, being serious then, I will take it you agree that:

- Calling J. K. Rowling a 'greedy ***' was unfounded and baseless, especially since you can produce no logical argument or evidence to support your point, and crosses the line into personal bashing.

- You were being a hypocrite when targeting only the fans of professing "undying love for some fictitious characters, for the author, for the movies and even for each other, all the while giggling, holding hands and making sure that all the fans have each other's backs" and accusing this thread of being a "monumental waste of time" while not for once raising any question on Empty's troll-ish behavior.

- Your point(s) on character development was ridiculous and factually incorrect at the very least.

- Your 'Bludger' reference was unclassy, derogatory, and says more about you than Rowling.

If you were being sarcastic, then I take it that either:

- You simply want this discussion to end, probably because you are tired of debating and don't want to go on.

Or:

- You wish to continue but know your points were wrong, and would rather end this in a good note than accept your defeat.

This content was originally posted by: cyrax

anyway, you have  no reason/right  to ask us to get out . we weren't bashing HP outright with insults like "HP sux!" or "twilight is better" (πŸ˜›)  we just stated our opinion.  secondly,it's an open forum. plus, your definition of contribution is pretty one sided. every topic has two(or more) sides, so just because we weren't going mad about it / downplaying it's status as a cultural phenomenon, doesn't mean we weren't contributing to the topic. I just said that I didn't think it was that great to be called "an era" with my own points.

EDIT: said anyway twice said

Two points:

i) If "it's an open forum", then we - the fans - have every right to praise our object of desire - no matter how cheesy and ridiculous it may seem to outsiders or those who don't share our favorites/likes (at least not to the same extent), just as detractors - like you, Souro and K - have every right to post their opinions, criticisms, etc. So I ask, why did this thread get moved (after all, by your words, "its an open forum"), and why were the fans' comments reduced to "a pretext for fanboys and fangirls to congregate in one place, away from the hustle bustle of a forum/section that is actually devoted to discuss Harry Potter (as imperceptive and daft as that sounds) and basically profess undying love for some fictitious characters, for the author, for the movies and even for each other, all the while giggling, holding hands and making sure that all the fans have each other's backs." when it's an "open forum"?

ii) If it is NOT okay for the fans to gush about their favorites, as this forum is strictly devoted to "debating", and hence this thread was moved to the fan section as a large part of it was filled by fan-posts, and no serious debating was taking place, then why was Empty's comments - which had nothing to do with debating and added zilch to the discussion - entertained, and not a single questions were raised against it by the same members who are so keen on questioning the fans' motive? If only "debating" is allowed here, then, neither the fans' posts (though the fans' posts were far more balanced as they debated the pros and cons of the franchise) nor Empty's posts should be tolerated, as neither had very much to do with debating. Souro was questioning the literary merits of the series which is understandable as he'd read the first few books. You did the same and you read the whole series. K brought other aspects which is fine too as he presented his points with coherence. Whether they are factually correct or not is debatable, but at least they are debatable which is why it is fine that they stay in this forum. That isn't the case with Empty's posts. He was clearly (and by his own admission) mocking this franchise, and such baseless (as he hadn't read a single book of the series) posts are regarded as 'bashing', and certainly not part of 'debating', and hence, have no place in Debate Mansion either. And if it is okay for Empty to have a 'little bit of fun', why should the fans be denied that, I wonder? That reeks of hypocrisy.

You can't have it both ways.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 12 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Munna POH sweetheart, you win ka matlab... tere ko samaj main nahe aate kyaa...???

**Edited: Please don't ask someone to leave a thread**

Edited by souro - 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

i) If "it's an open forum", then we - the fans - have every right to praise our object of desire - no matter how cheesy and ridiculous it may seem to outsiders or those who don't share our favorites/likes (at least not to the same extent), just as detractors - like you, Souro and K - have every right to post their opinions, criticisms, etc. So I ask, why did this thread get moved (after all, by your words, "its an open forum"), and why were the fans' comments reduced to "a pretext for fanboys and fangirls to congregate in one place, away from the hustle bustle of a forum/section that is actually devoted to discuss Harry Potter (as imperceptive and daft as that sounds) and basically profess undying love for some fictitious characters, for the author, for the movies and even for each other, all the while giggling, holding hands and making sure that all the fans have each other's backs." when it's an "open forum"?

Maybe because some thought the thread was better suited in the HP section,  Joe may or may not share the same opinion, he may have no problem with the thread being here.

ii) If it is NOT okay for the fans to gush about their favorites, as this forum is strictly devoted to "debating", and hence this thread was moved to the fan section as a large part of it was filled by fan-posts, and no serious debating was taking place, then why was Empty's comments - which had nothing to do with debating and added zilch to the discussion - entertained, and not a single questions were raised against it by the same members who are so keen on questioning the fans' motive? If only "debating" is allowed here, then, neither the fans' posts (though the fans' posts were far more balanced as they debated the pros and cons of the franchise) nor Empty's posts should be tolerated, as neither had very much to do with debating. Souro was questioning the literary merits of the series which is understandable as he'd read the first few books. You did the same and you read the whole series. K brought other aspects which is fine too as he presented his points with coherence. Whether they are factually correct or not is debatable, but at least they are debatable which is why it is fine that they stay in this forum. That isn't the case with Empty's posts. He was clearly (and by his own admission) mocking this franchise, and such baseless (as he hadn't read a single book of the series) posts are regarded as 'bashing', and certainly not part of 'debating', and hence, have no place in Debate Mansion either.

You can't have it both ways.

Ok, again, Mr.K and souro may have felt that there isn't any real scope for "debate" here, the thread does seem more like a congregration of fans than any real debate topic.  I don't think my comments were being entertained, anyone could see I was just trolling as opposed to others, it could also be that they didn't care for my comments as they were probably seen as frivolous as the thread being in the DM section itself.

If someone made a thread on the career graph of Salman Khan in DM, some might object to the thread being in this section, they probably wouldn't care about those mocking it either as they don't see any debate value in the thread, I think that is an entirely consistant stance.
This content was originally posted by: CunningLinguist

Ok, again, Mr.K and souro may have felt that there isn't any real scope for "debate" here, 

Previously, several threads on Harry Potter had been made. Why had no one ever objected to those, I wonder? Why this sudden change in rules? Either way, that point had been resolved, so I don't want to go there again. The only reason why I brought it was because I wanted to reply to Joe.

the thread does seem more like a congregration of fans than any real debate topic. 

And several detractors and one troll lurking in the shadow as well.

I don't think my comments were being entertained, anyone could see I was just trolling as opposed to others, 

Either way, your posts were not scrutinized as harshly as that of the fans'. If fans gushing over their favorites is wrong, then trolling ought not to be permitted either.

it could also be that they didn't care for my comments as they were probably seen as frivolous as the thread being in the DM section itself. 

If frivolous posts are permitted then why not posts praising or discussing a global franchise?
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 12 years ago

Previously, several threads on Harry Potter had been made. Why had no one ever objected to those, I wonder? Why this sudden change in rules? Either way, that point had been resolved, so I don't want to go there again. The only reason why I brought it was because I wanted to reply to Joe.

Maybe there weren't any detractors active around that time?, I don't remember any Harry Potter threads, maybe they were created when I wasn't active, before I joined, or probably didn't notice it.

And several detractors and one troll lurking in the shadow as well.

Yeh, but it's primarily a congregation with the odd detractor and trolling posts.

Either way, your posts were not scrutinized as harshly as that of the fans'. If fans gushing over their favorites is wrong, then trolling ought not to be permitted either.

That's because my posts were pretty transparent in that I wasn't serious, so they didn't take it seriously.  I wasn't writing essays about how much I love/hate HP.

If frivolous posts are permitted then why not posts praising or discussing a global franchise?

I don't think that's how it was perceived, it seemed more like "If frivolous threads are permitted, then why not frivolous  posts?"
cyrax thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
"

"

didn't get your reply :S
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Edited - No point in dragging it any longer
Edited by souro - 12 years ago
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Very convenient. I am sure when the time comes, these same points will be raised again, while completely disregarding the counter-points that had been given.

I have no idea whether you are being serious or sarcastic. If you are, indeed, being serious then, I will take it you agree that:

We get it POH...we get it...God has given u great analytical skills(and I am not being sarcastic)...but seriously...is there anything to analyse in those three small sentences...You win...I loose...bye bye...my head is goingnow...reallyπŸ€”...and I am saying this as an outsider who is indifferent to that thread...My son is a huge HP fan and I am not...so I understand both the sides...πŸ˜›
Previous
1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 119
Next