Page 1 of 1

MP_Radha

IF-Veteran Member

MP_Radha

Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged

REWIND: The Actresses of 2010

IndiaGlitz [Monday, January 10, 2011]

Source: http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/62997.html 

Actresses in Kollywood had come out strong in 2010. They have realized that glamour and skin show alone is not the route to the top but even show of talent will take them there. The most valued actresses of 2010 were serious performers and who dared to do thing differently.

Interestingly the much hyped or media built actresses were less popular than some new comers and who were just taking momentum in 2010. In the close to 150 films released in the year, over 70 new heroines were launched.

As said the ones who hit big time were the new comers. Tamannah who was thought to take the No. 1 position in 2010 had three releases. While 'Paiyaa' was a super hit the other 'Sura' was a super flop. So she doesn't have any extra points. 'Thillalangadi' was a blooper. Anushka got back in 'Singam' what she lost in 'Vettaikaran'. She seems to be the hot favourite of big heroes now.

Nayantara had a great year not just in Tamil but in all south Indian languages. She managed a super hit film in all languages and it is of more value as she did only that single film in that language. In Tamil 'Bosss Engira Baskaran' was a big hit. Losing the brilliant actress in marriage is one last thing the film industry wants now.

For Trisha, 2010 is perhaps her best year in Tamil so far. She did two films and she came out of that 'ice maiden' image with rocking performances in 'Vinnaithandi Varuvaya' and 'Manmadhan Ambu'. At last, Trisha proved she is an actress and not only a star. We wish she continues to choose her future films as sensibly.

Talent power houses Sneha and Bhavana could have done better. Shriya, Meenakshi, Genelia, Namitha, Meera Jasmine likes have a lot to worry about. Aishwarya Rai was remembered in her both films irrespective of the other factors in the films. She stood out in 'Raavanan' and 'Endhiran'.

Otherwise the year was for and of the new comers. Most of the new actresses launched in 2010 had substance in then and we wish them all a great future. Particularly Samantha in 'Baana Kaathadi', Amy Jackson in 'Madraspattinam' and Oviya in 'Kalavani' wowed the audiences more.

Talking about the best of 2010, there are two heroines who made the year theirs. Anjali and Amala Paul. Both are new comers who proved good looks must be complemented with good acting. They both turned their audiences with solid performances and became bright prospects for the coming years.

Anjali lived her role in 'Angadi Theru' so realistically that her other two ordinary films 'Rettaichuzhi' and 'Magizhchi' could not remove the sheen off her. Her award winning role of a sales girl in a ghettoized shopping mall who is spirited to love and live won her both critical and commercial acclaim.

The other sensation of 2010, Amal Paul was introduced in an ordinary film 'Veerasekaran'. She went unnoticed. Then came 'Sindhu Samaveli' that made you focus on her in spite of the film's contentious plot. Then came 'Mynaa' and she shot to fame. Her role as the simple village girl was credible and realistic and raised Amala, the actress from a virtually unknown actress to a name to be reckoned with.

If Anjali and Amala Paul are the heroines who made the difference, it is also compelling to mention a few actresses who were not the hero's heroine but certainly gave their audiences a surprise by turning in solid performances and breaking the myth that only heroines will get noticed.

Susan George as the jailer's obstinate wife gave a stunning performance in 'Mynaa'. It was a small role but she made it memorable with her class act. Saranya in 'Thenmerku Paruvakatru' got the best recognition of all. She is a seasoned actress and will monopolize her kind of characters for longtime to come.

The last but not the least is Sangeetha who stole the show in 'Manmadhan Ambu'. Sangeetha is one artiste who can shoulder a film and one who can be relied upon for any character however difficult.

With so much talent from the fairer side available, all we expect is to use them thoughtfully and give a new meaning to performance. We don't expect a Savitri and Saritha or a Sri Priya and Sridevi to emerge. But if it happens we would be the first to laud them. We need a collective effort to make it happen if possible. From directors to script writers to the producers, all have a role.

Top 5 Actresses of 2010

Anjali

Amala Paul

Aishwarya Rai

Trisha

Saranya

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaMayil_iraheRishi87-musicluv-x.sunayna.xammoos

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Kollywood: Actresses of 2010" in Sensational South forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MP_Radha

IF-Veteran Member

MP_Radha

Posted: 16 January 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged

Wow out of 150 new movies, 70 new heroines... No wonder why I couldn't recognize many of them Tongue... Gone are the days when a few heroines reigned the industry, considering that last year, we saw many power packed performances by the new comers.  And I agree with the article.. although I didn't watch many movies.. I surprisngly did watch many that were mentioned on the article StarLOLLOL.

Angadi Theru was indeed good, and Anjali did a fantastic job Star!

Amala Paul.. wow she looks gorgeous in the pic ClapClap.  I've seen two of her movies.. one was Sindhu Samavelli... the story line was uncomfortable, but she did a great job.. but in Mayna she simply rocked ClapClapClap

The next movie I caught up with in parts was Thenmerkku Paruvakaatru... actress Saranya did a mindblowing job StarStar... for the first time she played somewhat of a  rude character.  But she excelled in it... same with Vasuhundra... who played Pechi in the movie..

The above movies I really loved .. for the realistic story line... and most of them were based in rural areas which are always a treat to watch. 

Vinnaithandhi varuvaaya, Boss engira baskaran, Madharaspatinam were few other movies i enjoyed lots... however, the entire cast did a marvelous job so can't really pick out any particular actor..  Trisha really rocked in VTV

however, considering the status of the movies (blockbuster) then surely, Trisha and Aishwarya had a great year. 

Edited by MP_Radha - 16 January 2011 at 7:05pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaRishi87-musicluv-ammoosRoshni.

-musicluv-

Goldie

-musicluv-

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged
Thanks Aishu for the beautiful post! Big smile

Its surprising to see soo many new heroines, cos they dun look new, they are soo goood! Esp Anjali from Angadi Theru, she was class man! I cried thru that movie...StarClapClap

I haven't watched any of Amala's movies, but at a glance, she reminds me of Priyanka Chopra.. same face cut probably...

Of course, Trisha performed well in VTV but Sangeetha stole the show in MMA, with her performance and awesome comedy timing. Clap

ammoos

IF-Veteran Member

ammoos

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
THanks Aishu for sharing..

Hhmm. I have watched half of the movies referred above and I will give the No.1 spot to Amala for MYna.. spectacular it was..

My list would be

Amala
Trisha
Saranya
Susan (coz i felt like killing her after 2-3 scenesLOL
Amy Jackson

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged
I havent seen so many movies the past year and have no clue about many of the actress mentioned on that article above.

Trisha was good in VTV, she was natural and maybe one of the few movies I actually liked of her actingStar Anjali was good in Angadi theru, realistic acting and very touching tooClap

I have seen both Raavanan and Robo, Aish was mentioned there coz of boxoffice hit...her acting in Robo, nothing much to discuss about while she was good in Raavanan.

Tamannah, after Ayan..I havent seen much of her.

I hope we get to see more of the newbies in 2011Tongue

jagdu

IF-Dazzler

jagdu

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged
Thankfully missed Aishwarya Rai in both Ravanan and Endhiran. She was there for the fees, not the role for sure.
Trisha managed to stay on the top, although Tamannah rocked her boat. That both even get mentioned in the same sentance bothers me. Trisha is way more mature and can bag top hero's with the snap of a finger.
Shriya was the top disappointment. Time to fight back or take the bow?
All said and done, Aichu the choices were super.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.