Mythological Masti

India-Forums

Mythological Masti
Mythological Masti

What does marriage mean to you? (Page 2)

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

I too am about a bit dubious about going to the Manu Smriti because some passages, like Lola said, are a bit - er -  "uncomfortable" to say the list, like the whole passage about women having to do Sati, the things they have to undergo when they become widows, etc. Vedas and Upanishads in my opinion are the best sources for scriptures since they are believed to be the direct word of God.

Sati is there in Manu's Smritis?  Very much doubt it, since the Ikshvaku dynasty, being descendants of Manu (Granted, there were 2 Manus - one that lawgiver, and other the  ancestor of the Raghu dynasty) and none of the widows in that lineage, including Kaushalya, Kaikeyi or Sumitra, ever committed it.  Had it been there, they would have.  Yeah, Manu's Smritis does contain a lot of misogynic content, but it's a smriti (done from memory), not a shruti (handed over orally), and as per Hindu scriptural theory, more prone to error, and less time-independent.  Besides, historically, not all schools of Hindu jurisprudence recommended sati (I'm talking classical age - the Maurya empire, the Gupta empire, et al).

Upanishads are philosophy - they're not so much divine directives as much as interpretations.

Edited by _Vrish_ - 14 February 2011 at 7:40pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Vishakha_Sakhi

.anishaa. IF-Dazzler
.anishaa.
.anishaa.

Posted: 16 February 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged
To me, marriage means a committment and an utmost promise to a person--a promise of unconditional love, sacrifice, unflinching faith and fidelity, and support. The person you marry is considered to be your "life partner," aka your sidekick and one of the best friends you'll ever have.
The word marriage is when two beings get wed in a ceremony. It is a sacred bond that God is witness to.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Vishakha_Sakhi..RamKiJanaki..

Vishakha_Sakhi IF-Sizzlerz
Vishakha_Sakhi
Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 17 February 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged
I have updated my previous post, can't wait to see your comments! Big smile

@ Vrish  - boy o boy where this topic started and what a direction you put it in! Awesome yaar! ROFL

Originally posted by lola610

this forum's centered on Hindu thought, so we've all been married, dead, and God only knows what else countless times already, haven't we Tongue 

You put it perfectly Lola! LOL

@ Anisha - loved your answer! Clap

@ Janu - waiting for your answers to these questions too! Tongue

Edited by Vedo - 17 February 2011 at 9:19am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish..anishaa.

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index