Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago
And this one from Anupama Chopra is a good read too-

Awards Lite

Countless trophies, flashy star performances and too many silly jokes. Yet, not one credible award function
Tagged Under | awards | performances
Award nights here imply big stars, lame jokes and gossip

Between January and June this year, approximately 175 awards will be given for excellence in Hindi cinema.  Spread over four or five major ceremonies, these awards celebrate every aspect of film from costume design to direction.  There will be many star-studded evenings, thank  you speeches, extravagant performances and highly profitable transactions between performers, organisers and television companies.  There will be fun, bonding and after-parties.  What will be lacking is  credibility, transparency, seriousness of purpose and box office impact.

According to Randy Nelson, a professor of economics at Colby College  and co-author of the 2001 paper, What's an Oscar Worth?, the average benefit for a best picture winner is $17 million in ticket sales.  Smaller movies benefit more.  So Million Dollar Baby earned $8.3  million before and $92 million after winning a best picture nomination.  The biggest Oscar bump?  Slumdog Millionaire, which went  up by $97 million. In comparison, the various Bollywood awards have next to nil impact on the box office or winner's standing and ability to command better projects.  An Oscar-nominated actor has that honour prefixed to his name forever.  Here, by mid-year, all the award functions blur into one long night of lame jokes, high-glam songs and the usual gossip and controversies.  Our six month-long awards season doesn't carry a fraction of the weight that one Oscar night does.  Consider ours awards-lite.

Hindi film awards have been around for 57 years—the first Filmfare ceremony was held in 1954.  Five decades later, the number of award  functions has multiplied; the shows have become spectacular; the  monies are extravagant. But the point of the exercise is to create an eyeball-grabbing, TRP-generating, television programme. Excellence in cinema is an after-thought. The Oscars are also a television show—in fact the Academy's decision to double the best picture nominees  from five to 10 in 2009 was seen as a direct response to falling television viewership.  But despite the race for ratings, politics and  dirty campaigning tactics, the Oscars continue to be the world's  premier cinema awards.  This is because the selection of winners has largely been above board. A studio can run multi-million dollar campaigns for the Oscars, but it is virtually impossible to manipulate the 6,000-odd members of the Academy and buy a win.

In Mumbai, the widespread belief is that if a star dances at an award function or even shows up, he or she will take home a statue. Bewildering new categories are added every year so that no one who is anyone goes home disappointed.   Aamir Khan stopped attending award  ceremonies around 1996, but the other two Khans—Salman and Shah Rukh —are so critical for TRPs that no function is complete without them. At the 17th Annual Star Screen Awards (the first event of 2011), both of them performed and took home best actor prizes—Salman for best  actor and Shah Rukh for best actor popular choice. What is the difference? I couldn't tell you.

Why can't a film industry with a reported global audience of 3.6  billion have a single credible award function?  Mostly, I think, because the status quo suits everyone: the stars make money and have  their egos massaged; the organisers make money and get brand equity; the television channels make money and find viewers (in 2010, the Filmfare Awards telecast got a 2.1 TVR, the highest rated show that  week for the channel), and the viewers find entertainment.  But surely, the industry and all of us who love Bollywood should demand more.  Can't the celebration of our films have a little more grace and gravitas?

Two weeks ago, journalists and bloggers on Twitter started the TwiFi Awards or Tweeple Film Awards, which promise to be democratic, credible and transparent.  I hope something comes of it, because Bollywood deserves better.

http://openthemagazine.com/article/voices/awards-lite

^^  she's an impressive writer.. she nailed it..

There will be many star-studded evenings, thank  you speeches, extravagant performances and highly profitable transactions between performers, organisers and television companies.  There will be fun, bonding and after-parties. What will be lacking is  credibility, transparency, seriousness of purpose and box office impact.
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Very well written article.... and a very relevant one too....

this year has been the heights of crapinees in the awards...

ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
All the nominations are pathetic...too many awards for too many people
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Oh yh I watched this and I completely agree with him....I don't blame him for not attending
ladygaga thumbnail

I liked his response on the award shows.. very earnest and straight from heart.. he didn't use the situation to bash anyone.. he just stated his perspective nicely.. and the guy has lived it dude.. he can say it.. but still he gave a nice perspective..
tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
The awards in Bollywood are definitely rigged and theres no surprise in any of the awards nor on the people who receive them. Its like a foregone conclusion..

When i see the hollywood awards, saw the golden globe and the oscars, when the people win, their reactions are the best to watch.
The surprise, the anxiety, the nervous and the ckoked to tears speech look genuine and there is genuine feelings and expessions there.

the bollywood awards, the people act like they already know, no surprises, no genuine xpressions and some of them even act cocky and arrogant ...

for me they are rigged all the way

Originally posted by: pragya0

And this one from Anupama Chopra is a good read too-

Two weeks ago, journalists and bloggers on Twitter started the TwiFi Awards or Tweeple Film Awards, which promise to be democratic, credible and transparent.  I hope something comes of it, because Bollywood deserves better.

Almost all critics, twitter elites who write about movies and Bollywood G***du is also judging TwiFi awards.

Yes, Anupama Chopra writes well.

Anupama is a very good writer.

I once read an interesting article, i think she wrote a piece for NY times where she made a good point.

She remarked prolific critics in Hollywood never allow themselves to establish a connect with anyone in hollywood. They never do interviews or mingle with the stars. They do this to stay as much unbiased as possible.

Whereas in India a critic is consider also as a journalist, they review movies, interview stars, analyse box office collections and infact pass some gossip.

She reckons this has a big bearing on reviews.

I totally agree with her on that, although we are quick to bash Taran Adarsh somehow we all miss out on Raja Sen who in my opinion is extremely biased.

He always gives a good review to actors whom he likes and gets on with even when they have been terrible.

And some his comments are purely vicious.

Edited by pragya0 - 13 years ago