Sensational South

Anaganaga O Dheerudu-review

premeer thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago

Story

anaganaga o dheerudu Irendri (Lakshmi Manchu) is a witch who takes over the world from her place - Angarajyam. Moksha (Baby Harshita) is a small girl who has special divine powers. Yodha (Siddharth) is a blind warrior. Irendri wants to kill Moksha and Yodha is entrusted with the job of gaurding Moksha. The rest of the story is all about how Moksha gets rid of Irendri with the help of Yodha. There is also a love story for Yodha.

Artists Performance

anaganaga o dheerudu It is virtually impossible for any young hero in Telugu cinema to accept a blind man's role. Siddharth is very brave to brace this character that flows with the narration of the movie. Siddharth is fabulous. Shruti Hassan is glamorous with her exotic looks. However, it is Lakshmi Manchu who steals the show. Her make-up, dialogue delivery and screen presence is terrific. Baby Harshita is impressive with her work. Ravi Babu is nice as the lieutenant of witch with the funny oneliner 'nimma daanimma'. Brahmanandam and Ali have a few funny scenes.

Technical departments

anaganaga o dheeruduStory - screenplay - direction: Story of the film is like Chandamama katha (fairy tale). The director didn't succumb to the commercial trap and narrated it in a way it should be. Prakash Kovelamudi is excellent with visuals and presentation. He is highly imaginative. He introduced all the characters excellently. However, the movie has only one orientation throughout the movie - witch seeking the kid. A couple of secrets revealed in the second half are interesting. But, he couldn't get the emotions strong enough on the screen to rise the tempo.

anaganaga o dheeruduOther departments: Songs are composed by 4 different music directors and all the songs are good. Background music composed by Salim Sulaiman is excellent. Visuals in this movie are of extraordinary quality. It is the result of collective team work by the cinematographer (Sounder Rajan) and visual effects team (Firefly). There are many visual effects that doesn't appear like effects to naked eyes. There are graphics worth 72 minutes in this movie (half of the total runtime). Art direction by Bhupesh Bhupathi is superb. The costumes, make-up and get-ups are of top-notch. Dialogues by T Rajasimha are pretty good and they might sound odd for the regular moviegoers because the dialogues were written in pristine Telugu though he used contemporary cheap words like jaffa. Production values of the movie are humongous. Disney has made sure that their first Indian production is at par with their Hollywood projects in terms of technical and production values.

anaganaga o dheeruduAnalysis: When was the last time we have the hero playing the role of a blind man? When was the last time a Telugu movie had a young woman as a villain? Anaganaga O Dheerudu is a brave attempt that defies many stereotypes and cliches of Telugu cinema. But at the same time, it is extremely important for any director to get the emotions flared up at the crux moments. Prakash Kovelamudi who stuck with the script made sure that the story is narrated like a fairy tale, but he couldn't get the right emotions/tempo (suspense or utkantha) towards the climax of the movie. The plus points of the movie are extraordinary visuals, lead performances (especially Lakshmi Manchu) and classic style of story-telling. The negative point of the movie is the lack of emotional depth/connect. On a whole, Anaganaga O Dheerudu is a universal movie that aims at kids in the family and the kid inside you.

Rating 3.25/5

Source: Idle Brain

Film: ANAGANAGA O DHEERUDU
Rating: 2.75/5
Banners: Walt Disney & A Bellyful Of Dreams Entertainment
Cast: Siddarth, Shruti Haasan, Manchu Lakshmi, Vallabhaneni Ram, Baby Harshitha, Ravi Babu, Tanikella, Ali, Brahmi, Subbaraya Sharma etc
Music: Keeravani, Koti, Mickey J Meyer, Salim- Sulaiman
Cinematographer: Soundarrajan
Director: Prakash Kovelamudi
Producers: Devineni Prasad, K Raghavendra Rao
Release Date: January 14, 2011

Story:
A stale tale, the story is set on a fictitious backdrop and here is a serpent witch Irendri (Lakshmi manchu) who wants to overcome death and become immortal. That is only possible if she can sacrifice a small girl Moksha (baby harshitha) who has a divine blessing in her. However, Moksha is protected by Yodha (siddarth), a blind warrior who is her bodyguard. A situation comes when Yodha has to take Moksha to a place to save the lives of few children. Meanwhile, Yodha is in love with Priya (shruthi) who is not to be seen. Now, Irendri is after Moksha so whether Yodha is successful in protecting her or not forms the rest of the story.

Presentation:
The director has come up with a routine storyline and while the presentation was grand, the narrative was terrible. The dialogues were stale, the script was weak and the screenplay was horrendous. Background score was just average but songs and their picturization are the highlight. Cinematography is the minus point for the film. Editing was sharp at the required places. Costumes were mismatch and failed to impress while the art department was outstanding. Siddarth has not fitted the role that well but he puts in his best. Shruti Haasan looks hot and beautiful, nothing much for her in terms of performance. Manchu Lakshmi was the better one and she had depth in her character. Baby Harshitha was alright, Ravi Babu was bad, Ali was better, Brahmi was silly, Subbaraya Sharma was decent, Ram Vallabhaneni was not required, the others didn't have much to offer. 

Conclusion:
The film came in with a lot of hype and it failed to meet the expectations. The first half was dull and didn't have energy while the second half gets a little better. Overall, the main defect in the film was its direction and weak narrative without proper grip. The pace of the film was quite mild and sometimes it looked irrational. The only reason it deserves few points is for some exceptional graphics and mind blowing visuals in few scenes. Technically, the film deserves a lot of credit but content and execution is pathetic. At the box office, it is hard to survive.

Bharatstudent Verdict: Bad!!Edited by Kavya.... - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

premeer thumbnail
One positive n other negative... anyways i m eager to watch this movie for the visual effects n all...
muffins2waffles thumbnail
Ohh one positive and one negative? Oh well, I still want to see it. :P
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Looks like a mixed review.. but wouldn't mind watching for Sid hehe... thanks for sharing the reviews Kavya
x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
It sounds... interesting ! But Siddhu's in it :D So i'll defs try to see it :) Not sure how i feel about Shruti Hassan as an actress though..
premeer thumbnail
@aishi

i was talking to a frnd while posting it n she was like going on n on abt the movie..she liked it a lot while my bro said it wasn't that great...kids movie n all..
nami2811 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
kavya??? is it you??? πŸ˜²
muffins2waffles thumbnail
Kavya - Oh wow, haha. Well I guess it just depends on your personal view. It looks good though.
RadiantTreasure thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Hey guys..
Ok i just watched this movie(I know i am getting a lot of free time these days πŸ˜†) N i would again say u can just go n see it one time..

The high point is the "start" of the movie..where the story is narrated n there are lot of visual effects applauded for πŸ‘that is when laxmi manchu(Irendri) is introduced..she is a witch n wants to conquer death by killing a divine child - Moksha..
Siddu (named Yodha is a "blind" warrior ) is moksha's bodyguard till she reaches n cures children in angarajya who are unconsiuos with irendri cruel serpents effect..
But it loses tempo eventually when Yodha goes to flashback n his love story with shruti hassan (named priya ..nothing but used for songs n glam showπŸ˜‰)..where he loses his eyes n priyas death breaks his heart...

Film gains momentum again in 2nd half start..

2nd half is the main part of movie where yodha faces all hurdles sent by Irendri n protects moksha ..but she gets kidnapped with his fault of drinking n he saves her again n also finds priya who is kept as prisoner in Irendri's cell as she is of her blood relation n uses her blood to remain young..n yodha gets his eyes back with help of moksha's power!

The last climax happen in angarajya..where moksha goes to cure children but already villian's conquer it..but yodha fights them all n even kills irendri who transforms into a combination of snake,squib n octopus (weird
.. but effects wise greatπŸ˜ƒ!) with just a single stroke of sword 😲 πŸ€ͺ (dude !! is it that easy to kill her why didnt they do it earlier 🀒🀣)

N then happy endings..😊

Siddu: Was great n did his role perfectly especially as blind person n where he uses his senses(i meant the sixth senses power πŸ˜†)!
Shruti: Glam sham doll n songs..but still looks pretty ..so good !
Laxmi Manchu:Damn! She can act n that too good 😲 no wonder rakesh roshan is thinking a role for her in Krishh 2..Most of the visuals effects are on her n yes though its difficult to believe
🀣 she did good..πŸ˜ƒ
Songs N background score:Well there are 4 songs composed by 4 different music directors ..two on siddu n shruti n 1 on laxmi manchu n other which comes in background at end..though the songs..picturisations n COSTUMES πŸ‘ are very good..they don't enhance much the film..n i think it sometimes come at wrong point of time...
BAckground scores n sound effects are πŸ‘ just great especially the one which comes at start n end..it has kind of intense feeling n it's great!!

OVERALL:

PLUS:πŸ‘πŸΌ New experimental fantasy story with effects after long time,Siddu,laxmi manchu..
MINUS:
πŸ‘ŽπŸΌTempo of story,Suspense(u know that what happens next element is lost ),Comic tracks(are a big waste though they are for 10 min),n mainly CLIMAX(what ..that's it ..?πŸ˜”).

VERDICT:One time watch for "sure" πŸ˜ƒ to watch great effects in telugu industry..!!If handled a bit carefully in storyline..it would be MORE worth to watch!!

Well i really want to point out that the pictures showed in the credits(when names are rolled) were really too good ..😊

Good wishes..
Sri:-)

P.S:Woow..thats was longgg...πŸ˜†!!
Edited by sri_4 - 13 years ago
premeer thumbnail
@harshd_fan

yes its mee...

@aishi

u're right... anyways i m gonna watch it good or bad..

@sri_4

thank u so much for the review... i ll watch it this weekend