Losers make it big in serials

January 15th, 2011
A. L. Chougule
Buzz up!
  • Email this supplementary
  • Printer friendly version
Decrease text sizeIncrease text size
Losers make it big in serials

Winning a reality show is not a sure-fire ticket to success, it seems, with many reality victors knocking on the door to fame with little success. By contrast, many reality losers are making the most of their opportunity. Take the case of Sarvar Ahuja and Aditi Sharma — winners of the first season of Cinestar ki Khoj. While they still struggle to capitalise on their wins, co-contestants like Ankita Lokhande, Naman Shaw and Himanshoo Malhotra, are enjoying success. Equally, while Dance India Dance contestants Binny Sharma and Vandana Joshi didn't claim the title, they bagged lead roles in Sanjog Se Bani Sangini and Dil Se Diya Vachan, respectively.

And the list goes on: Amit Tandon, first to be voted out of Indian Idol 2, was given a big break by Ekta Kapoor as second lead in Yeh Kaisa Pyar Hai, while Neha Sargam, who had to leave Indian Idol because of a leg injury, is now a successful actress. Meanwhile, Nikunj Malik, who reached the finale of Swayamvar 2 but refused to marry Rahul Mahajan, has made her debut in serials with Geet Hui Sabse Parayi.

So is being eliminated from a reality show more expansive and liberating? "When you participate in a reality show you want to win, but since there is always one winner, those who get eliminated have to carry on and explore new opportunities," says Amit, who has done Yeh Kaisa Pyar Hai and Kyunki for Balaji and sang situational songs for some Ekta serials.

According to Naman, who has worked on several Balaji shows like Kyunki, Kasamh Se, the winner can't always be successful. "Winning helps, but the real struggle starts after the show. Success depends a lot on how you capitalise on the opportunities that come your way."

Nikunj, however, holds destiny responsible. "Swayamvar changed the course of my life," she says. But all agree that reality shows are the right platform to get noticed. "Besides exposure, they give lot of confidence and easy access to the right people," says Binny Sharma. According to Himanshoo Malhotra, the reason more reality show contestants are getting into acting is that daily soaps offer instant fame. "If you are playing the lead, then you are all over the place: on TV every day, on hoardings…everywhere," says Himanshoo who plays lead in Bhangowali Baante Apni Taqdeer.

Producer Deeya Singh of Sanjog Se Bani Sangini says the best thing about reality shows is that they expand the talent pool. "Someone who is a good dancer or singer sometimes turns out to be a potential actor as well," she says. "Since serials access limited talent mainly from metros and big cities, reality shows help producers get actors who are already known names besides being polished and camera-friendly."

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/supplementary/losers-make-it-big-serials-498

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swan20 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
if thats the case then i wish Nikunj had won the show. At least then we wouldn't have seen her ''acting'' in this show.......😆
bharkha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
thanks for the article
.Lina. thumbnail
i luv Binny. but nikunj. i'm not her fan. 😊
Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I'm afraid Nikunj is a loser in this show as well as she is the least liked of all the cast.
craziekudi thumbnail

thanks for the article.. they are roght!!! loosers actually succed much better than the winners....

i love binny( awesome dancer) , naman,ankita etc.. they have really made it big!!!! as the leads
-eiya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: swan20

if thats the case then i wish Nikunj had won the show. At least then we wouldn't have seen her ''acting'' in this show.......😆

🤣🤣🤣.....good one👍🏼😆....
RajeevGurtiFan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

i second you on this😆
Armu4eva thumbnail

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Superb....n i agree... wish she had won n relieved us of the torture of seeing her....🤣🤣
dewdropred thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

i open the newspaper / TV guide ...  hoping to find news on either gurti or maaneet ...every saturday ... & what i find ... they give news on nikunj ...