Are Indians yet ready?

Shipra_S thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
I am an Indian living in India. We do say we have become quite broad-minded and such things as PDA n Skin Show don't matter much now. In a way, we are trying to become as bold in our attitude as Americans/British ppl. But are we Indians (particularly those living in India) are ready for such things as 'nudity' , 'no-holds-barred-sex-talk'  n other things 'physical' / 'vulgar' ?

I am a broad minded girl and don't mind a lot of western things intruding our culture, like girls being more independent, working late at night , live-in-relationships, etc. But i don't think am yet ready to see nude Indian actresses posing for magazine covers, actors' flaunting their buttocks or posing nude for a film scene.

Are other Indians residing in India bold enough for these things?

P.S.: I have not intended to taunt at Western Culture in any way here. It's a fact that they are bolder than us in attitude ; but seeing this sudden upsurge in 'vulgarity' in India, wanted to know whether we are yet ready to accept it?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
No, they aren't.

*actually reads post*

Oh okay. Well, the reason why many of us are so taken in with the west is because they are so unconservative. Laid back and open minded, which is actually the way how the human mind was supposed to behave, not suppressed,conservative and primitive.  At the same time, the west has introduced us to a whole new extreme, such as nudity, swearing on tv,etc. Like MANY of the topics here and and in all discussions all over the world, it's NEVER black and white.

However, it depends on the person. This point is also quite a cliche'd one , but valid, nonetheless. What is the impact of that stuff on a Human being? Does it make him or her embarrassed, make him/her feel disgusted, shocked, or convert him into a filthy, immoral person?

It's kinda difficult to take a call on your question.. are "Indians" ready? I assume you mean most of the urban Indians.

We have to acknowledge that though lust may be one of the seven sins, it resides in all of us, deep or in the open, consciously or subconcsiously. It is prevalent in sexually curious teens, bored married couples. Or people who pretend to not want sex or not think much of it, but at the end of the day would welcome it with open arms eventually, just that it's suppressed deep down.

We are Indians, but we are humans as well. Like the americans. So I think that most of us will be able to adjust to it, within reason(subjective). Our culture may prevent a section(large or small ,I don't know) of us from acepting it or prevent us from going overboard(again, subjective). 

The only definitive answer I have for this topic is "What will happen, will happen."

OBJ
Shipra_S thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Ok, i got your point OBJ. Why i emphasized on 'Indians' (specially those living in India) was 'coz people here are still a wee bit conservative in their approach. Though we say we are bold enough now , and that's why i guess Indian actresses even dare to do such photo shoots, but at the end of it, our mindset is quite different from that of people living in America or other developed countries. That's why i asked are we ready yet for such concepts.
Edited by Shipra_S - 13 years ago
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Shipra_S

But i don't think am yet ready to see nude Indian actresses posing for magazine covers, actors' flaunting their buttocks or posing nude for a film scene.

Do you have a problem with nudity in general or do you have problem if it's an Indian actor who does a nude scene?
If you are fine watching foreign actors being nude but have a problem with Indian actors performing any nude scene then it is double standard.
If you don't watch any movie which contains nudity then I don't see what the problem is. You just have to avoid that movie.
As for magazines, as far as I know, even Playboy or Penthouse doesn't print explicit photos on their covers and glamour magazines in India are pretty benign compared to them. So, I'll say you're pretty safe in that regards for atleast the forseeable future.

In India, I think a major part of the problem arises because the censor board only gives A rating to the films that they deem fit for adult audience but no explanation is ever provided as to why it has been rated so. If along with A certification they clearly mention what all is there in the movie, i.e. nudity, violence, abusive language, sexual content, drug abuse, etc. then people can take a more informed decision as to whether they want to take it or leave it
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Shipra_S

Ok, i got your point OBJ. Why i emphasized on 'Indians' (specially those living in India) was 'coz people here are still a wee bit conservative in their approach. Though we say we are bold enough now , and that's why i guess Indian actresses even dare to do such photo shoots, but at the end of it, our mindset is quite different from that of people living in America or other developed countries. That's why i asked are we ready yet for such concepts.

the reasons that prevent us from being ready:
culture, upbringing clash
sort of new to us

So obviously, some of us aren't, although with the passage of time it probably will happen.
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Yes a bit of conservatism in India is preferred and youth have to be protected and guided generally.
P1nk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Im ok with semi-nudity.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Some Indians are ready to accept it. Some find it shocking. Actually anywhere in the world, some people accept it, some don't. No culture is fully accepting of anything. The ratio just varies. As Souro says, we need more sensible ratings system so people can make informed decisions to view or avoid nudity.

I also believe nudity etc is as aesthetic or perverse as you want it to be. A certain openness about these issues creates balance. For example the human anatomy in health class is  meant to be informational not dirty or po*n, but yet ironically it is the conservatives who tend to react with shock or the repressed who view it as some sort po*n and snicker. A certain amount of openness and exposure in society helps people better view things in context.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I have heard about some ladies who cover their dogs and cats with clothes. Just think, cows and horses and dogs dressed. 😆Am not against any type of dress.....anyone can wear any dress,its all depend on climate and situation.....it doesnt mean sit nude in the office or in the factory. If it is hot, it is okay..😳😉 ðŸ˜†

------

German court rules bosses can demand workers wear bras

Employers in the Cologne region of Germany can now demand that their workers wear bras, have clean hair and trimmed fingernails. Is this court ruling a violation of personal freedoms or simply upholding standard company policy?

German employers were granted a strange new power on Wednesday. The State Labour Court in North Rhine-Westphalia, one of the most populous regions in the county, ruled that employers could demand their workers wear bras to work and keep their nails trim and hair groomed.
The court was ruling on a case involving a dispute over an employment agreement by a company that conducts airport passenger security checks. But the decisions of the court will apply to all workplaces in the region.

My gut reaction to this was disgust. I felt outraged; if a boss of mine ever felt that he or she could dictate what I did and didn't wear to the office under my clothes I would feel violated.

According to some of the clauses in the ruling, workers must wear bras (flesh-coloured or white) or undershirts to "preserve the orderly appearance of employer-provided uniforms."

The court also ruled that there was no fault in requiring fingernails to be shorter than half a centimeter to protect passengers going through airport security from injury.  Finally bosses can demand that hair is "always clean, never worn looking unwashed or oily."  Women were not exclusively targeted as they also outlined that men could only sport a well-groomed beard or be clean-shaven.

The case first came to light when the unidentified airport security firm brought it to the Cologne-based court after its employees complained about the company's strict guidelines. Those are some hard-lined employers I tell you. Workers express frustration, and their response is to go to the courts and make their policies the law.

I can't help but feel my inner feminist come creeping out here. So what if I want to go to work bra-less? Damn it, I should be allowed. After all, shouldn't the company be providing work uniforms that aren't see-through? And if we can't decide on our own underwear, what can we decide on?

A friend of mine pointed out that most work places have company policies and dress codes and it's nothing to get my bras in a knot over. It's simply the rules of this one workplace. If you don't like it, don't work there.

But since this ruling has made it law for the entire region, and I can't help but feel it reeks of sexism. Could it be opening up a whole can of worms? How do they enforce these guidelines? Is there a bra-checker at work? What about wrongful dismissal?

Boss: You're fired
Worker: Why?
Boss: You went bra-less.

It's absolutely absurd.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
....Edited by blue-ice - 13 years ago