Sonam Kapoor's letter to Mitali Rudra

Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged

Fri, 2011-01-14 00:10 — Dessigaal

Mumbai – Bollywood star Sonam Kapoor, who had an entire nation dancing to the tune of "Masakali", has donated "kind kites" – those that have regulation strings – to students at Arya Vidya Mandir School. Kapoor, who formerly attended the school, also sent a letter on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India imploring the school's principal, Mitali Rudra, to encourage the children never to use cruel and deadly glass-coated manja. In the letter, Kapoor points out that thousands of birds – as well as many people, including children – have been injured and killed by glass-coated manja.

"The kites send a positive message to children, encouraging them to prevent the suffering of birds by using only string which has not been coated with glass", says Kapoor. "I would also like to relay this message to all your students: study hard, be goal-oriented and be compassionate. You can start by showing compassion and not using glass-coated string."

The manja used in kite-flying competitions is often gummed and coated with powdered and finely crushed glass, making it lethal for pigeons, crows, kites, owls and other birds who become entangled after the strings get caught in trees or on poles. Thousands of birds are killed by glass-coated manja every year, and many people have been killed by it as well. Last year, a man lost control of his bike after he was struck in the face by glass-coated kite string, and a woman's throat was slashed by manja in Gujarat. Both died from their injuries.

In March 2010, Kapoor sent another letter on behalf of PETA India to Maharashtra Home Minister Shri RR Patil urging him to ban glass-coated manja across the state after Mumbai police had banned it within the city.
Sonam Kapoor's letter to Mitali Rudra follows.

Ms Mitali Rudra
Principal
Arya Vidya Mandir
Juhu
Mumbai

Dear Ms Rudra,

It was a privilege to have been a student at Arya Vidya Mandir School. I still fondly look back at the days I spent at your school.

Today, I and my friends at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India are writing to tell you that we are happy to donate kites to your students for Makar Sankranti. The kites send a positive message to children, encouraging them to prevent the suffering of birds by using only string which has not been coated with glass.

As you know, the manja used in kite-flying competitions is often coated with powdered and finely crushed glass. This manja is deadly to thousands of pigeons, crows, owls, kites and other birds who get slashed, wounded and killed when they become entangled in the strings. Glass-coated manja, which can remain entangled in trees and poles for weeks following kite-flying, has also caused human injuries and deaths and is dangerous for children. Last year, a man lost control of his bike after he was struck in the face by glass-coated kite string, and a woman's throat was slashed by manja in Gujarat. Both died from their injuries.

I am sure you agree that glass-coated kite string is harmful to birds and people (including children) and will join me in this effort to encourage children to do their part to help wildlife by rejecting glass-coated manja this Makar Sankranti. I would also like to relay this message to all your students: study hard, be goal-oriented and be compassionate. You can start by showing compassion and not using glass-coated string.

Thank you for your time. I wish you, the entire faculty and all your students a very happy Makar Sankranti!

Sincerely,

Sonam Kapoor

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Yahoo2melancholicffkhan

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:53am | IP Logged
Hmm I thought Manja was already banned. Ive seen manja used. They are strong and very sharp and cuts skin very easily. I thought it was already banned in chennai and other cities.

oh well. That was thoughtful indeed.
ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged
I skimmed through the letter but I forgot what it is about ROFL
melancholic IF-Dazzler
melancholic
melancholic

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 2:07am | IP Logged
really happy . well done sona 
Irisduplex Goldie
Irisduplex
Irisduplex

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged
good initiative! Hope more people become aware of this!
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top