Balika Vadhu

India-Forums

Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

Anandi-Jagya-Gauri triangle: Discuss here. (Page 11)

divmath Goldie
divmath
divmath

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged
[QUOTE=vkalu]why cant he? isnt in med school, over 18 isnt he?[/QUOTE

In India .....legal age for a boy to get married is 21 ! and Jagya is not 21 yet (I think)...he is in first year so he is 18 or 19

sudss Goldie
sudss
sudss

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged
yah,..  21 for the guy and 18 for the girl... so jagya is still a minor... n may be gauri too.... 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

divmath

atria Goldie
atria
atria

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged
So did anyone figure out the legality of the marriage(s)? I looked at the 2006 Child Marriage Act and I was rather surprised to find out that the Anandi-Jagya's marriage is valid, despite being a child marriage. Their parents are punishable by law, but the marriage is valid. However, either Jagya or Anandi could void this marriage now due to the fact that this was a child marriage. Jagya would have to pay Anandi alimony till the time she got remarried. Not sure how things would look since they have actually been cohabiting together since Anandi became an adult.... at this time it may be regarded as a normal divorce proceeding, couldn't quite figure that out.Confused Whatever the case, he would have to go to court to void his marriage with Anandi, its not as easy as saying its illegal therefore not valid !
Jagya-Gauri marriage is too complicated to figure out, child polygamy is just too weird. For polygamous adults, the marriage wouldn't be valid. Anyone figure that out?
Of course nothing like law actually works in serials, DS darling will have the last say as usual.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sudsspjyo

vkalu Senior Member
vkalu
vkalu

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by trupat

i would have not blamed jagya for having feeling for gauri as they were kids when they got married but jagya had accepted anandi as his wife so whatever he is doing right now is not right ..... shame on u jagya Angry
\i said the same I was watching august episodes how desperate he was to be with anandi,Jagya has always portrayed as a bit spoilt anyway so always what eh wants has to be important.
atria Goldie
atria
atria

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by vkalu

Originally posted by trupat

i would have not blamed jagya for having feeling for gauri as they were kids when they got married but jagya had accepted anandi as his wife so whatever he is doing right now is not right ..... shame on u jagya Angry
\i said the same I was watching august episodes how desperate he was to be with anandi,Jagya has always portrayed as a bit spoilt anyway so always what eh wants has to be important.

He is beginning to feel the pinch of his lies now.... I guess a showdown is inevitable soon.... wonder if he will flat out reject Anandi or try to balance both girlsAngry.... it looks like Anandi will realize what is going on first rather than Gauri, would like to see a strong reaction from her....
divmath Goldie
divmath
divmath

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by atria

So did anyone figure out the legality of the marriage(s)? I looked at the 2006 Child Marriage Act and I was rather surprised to find out that the Anandi-Jagya's marriage is valid, despite being a child marriage. Their parents are punishable by law, but the marriage is valid. However, either Jagya or Anandi could void this marriage now due to the fact that this was a child marriage. Jagya would have to pay Anandi alimony till the time she got remarried. Not sure how things would look since they have actually been cohabiting together since Anandi became an adult.... at this time it may be regarded as a normal divorce proceeding, couldn't quite figure that out.Confused Whatever the case, he would have to go to court to void his marriage with Anandi, its not as easy as saying its illegal therefore not valid !
Jagya-Gauri marriage is too complicated to figure out, child polygamy is just too weird. For polygamous adults, the marriage wouldn't be valid. Anyone figure that out?
Of course nothing like law actually works in serials, DS darling will have the last say as usual.

I found this !

Child marriage below the age of 16 be made void (i.e. legally unenforceable under any circumstances)

So Jagya - Anandi's marriage is Void long ago....no consent is required from either of them to separate...the consent part comes into picture only if they were married after 16 !! over here they were married at the age of 6 hence their marriage is illegal and void ! however as you mentioned the girl should still get an alimony.....but no divorce proceedings required as the marriage has not been registered in court !

atria Goldie
atria
atria

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by divmath

Originally posted by atria

I found this !

Child marriage below the age of 16 be made void (i.e. legally unenforceable under any circumstances)

So Jagya - Anandi's marriage is Void long ago....no consent is required from either of them to separate...the consent part comes into picture only if they were married after 16 !! over here they were married at the age of 6 hence their marriage is illegal and void ! however as you mentioned the girl should still get an alimony.....but no divorce proceedings required as the marriage has not been registered in court !

No no that is probably from the recommendation of the law commission of India.... As late as 2006, child marriages remained valid once done.... 2006 onwards there is the option of one or both of the children involved choosing to void the marriage.... now the law commission is recommending that voiding happen automatically, but this is not yet a law.... I'm pretty sure about this. The law commission recommendation came in 2008, as late as Aug 2010 there is a ruling of Delhi High Court saying simply being underage does not void a marriage. So under current law Anandi Jagya's marriage stands unless one of them chooses to void this ! So its not automatic.
What I'm not sure about is Jagya-Gauri's marriage, but I guess it was voided in front of the panchayat since both Jagya and Gudiya wanted it to break. Not sure what the panchayat's role is, can it take place of the court of law in civil matters?
atria Goldie
atria
atria

Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged
We need a lawyer on the forum....Ouch
Anyway, the serial will never worry about the law, I guess we shouldn't eitherLOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sudssdivmathwida

Go to top